Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017
Old 07-25-2016, 09:43 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Rear Camera... Without Nav!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Camera... Without Nav!!

My Q5 is a 2009 Prem+ without nav, thus no factory backup camera. Don't need nav, but I've missed not having a rear-view camera (especially when the grandkids are in the area). So, when a local high end shop located an aftermarket multimedia video interface that didn't require nav-grade MMI, I had it installed a few days ago. Works seamlessly when in reverse. I was surprised that the 6.5" screen is actually capable of displaying very good color video.

The interface has two additional inputs that could be used for a nav system, dvd, etc., if desired.

Currently I'm using a license frame camera, with 161 degree wide-angle, 0.3 lux low light.
Attached Images     
Old 05-03-2010, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

yes, I was offered to install either OEM camera (comes w/ the rear gate handle) for about $900-$1000, needs interface, or to instal aftermarket camera for $600, but I chose to install aftermarket rear sensors -painted sensors came to $300. We had /have sensors on other vehicles, and never had rear cameras, so DF said sensors would be fine.
Sensors "plug" into rear lights citcuit, there is a small (3" wide) display on the dash, so they also display distance. The aftermarket sensor system does not mute sound system, but it is loud enough to hear.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice but I love the direction guides. Can you post a link to the aftermarket product website or brand.
Curious to know if I could plug a garmin into it.
Old 05-03-2010, 04:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Jusforfun
Nice but I love the direction guides. Can you post a link to the aftermarket product website or brand.
Ditto! on the product web site/and or brand. Looks good!
Old 05-03-2010, 08:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Here is the website for non-nav interface...

Originally Posted by Jusforfun
Can you post a link to the aftermarket product website or brand.
The interface was supplied to my installer by Navtool, go there with this link http://www.tvandnav.com/audiq53.aspx

On that page, for installation manual and additional capability of interface, click the "Installation Manual For Vehicles Equipped Only With Color Screen"

Or, use this link to go straight to the installation guide.
http://www.tvandnav.com/manuals/audinommi.pdf (The correct interface is named "No MMI" because technically only the factory nav system with 7" screen is a full blown MMI, although the dash controls with Symphony and Concert radios with 6.5" screen perform the same non-nav related functions)

BTW the box mine came in was labeled A4, trust me it works in the Q5

Last edited by Loophole; 05-03-2010 at 08:33 PM.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Loophole, how are you doing with all the rain and flooding? My dad had only a few inches in his basement at home (although his backyard had become a river) but a few feet at his office. It's been really nasty out there. Thinking of you and hoping all is well with you.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Rain and flooding

Originally Posted by FitzLA
Hey Loophole, how are you doing with all the rain and flooding? My dad had only a few inches in his basement at home (although his backyard had become a river) but a few feet at his office. It's been really nasty out there. Thinking of you and hoping all is well with you.
Fitz, appreciate your concern, my house is high and dry, only problem super-saturated soil caused a tall tree to fall between me and my neighbor. Much of Williamson and Davidson Co. will be inundated for several more days... this has been a flood for the record book, in places looks like New Orleans during Katrina. Glad your dad's problems were no worse than you described. Thousands of people were not as fortunate.

But, in the dry parts, today was a beautiful day, as you can see...
Attached Images  

Last edited by Loophole; 05-03-2010 at 09:47 PM.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you are doing well and staying dry. Yes, many people were not as fortunate. My dad knows several people who lost everything.

Great pic! Love that you took it in front of the Nissan building! LOL
Old 05-04-2010, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The Audi Navi package is actually a pretty good deal, the Navi voice command integrated into the car's audio system is pretty nice. The Bluetooth is a must, and the lines in the rear camera that tells you where you are heading are very useful. There is also the parking audio sensors, hard drive, bigger screen and higher resolution, and to top it off, that center multi color display between the speedo and the tach is a must
Old 05-04-2010, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default G Man- I agree with most of what you said...

Originally Posted by The G Man
The Audi Navi package is actually a pretty good deal, the Navi voice command integrated into the car's audio system is pretty nice. The Bluetooth is a must, and the lines in the rear camera that tells you where you are heading are very useful. There is also the parking audio sensors, hard drive, bigger screen and higher resolution, and to top it off, that center multi color display between the speedo and the tach is a must
...if you just have to have factory Nav. I don't have much need for it. When I'm in unfamiliar places, usually it means I flew there, and packed my Garmin.

The factory Nav is without a doubt a nice package. If my dealer had the Q5 color I wanted, with the Nav package, I would have bought it. But back in the first week of March, 2009, soon as the Q5's hit my dealers lot, I jumped on the first one sold in my area. It suited my needs, and Nav wasn't an option.

However, without the Nav package I still have bluetooth, voice command for the phone, and don't miss a hard drive with all my SD cards, 6 disc CD changer, and dedicated ipod. I agree the multi-color display betwen gauges is nicer than reddish, but IMO hardly a must. And now I have a rear camera, which is all I wanted I didn't get (and it comes without the risk of someone spilling a drink and ruining the control ****)

Last edited by Loophole; 05-04-2010 at 10:48 AM.

Quick Reply: Rear Camera... Without Nav!!