Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

'14 TDI engine ticking noise?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default '14 TDI engine ticking noise?

Hi all,
I searched both this forum and Google for the issue I may be having (with no results) so forgive me if this has been covered already.

I have a '14 Q5 TDI with about 65000 miles. A few days ago the Check Engine light came on, and the car was running normally so I didn't think much of it, but scheduled an appointment anyway (closing in on the next service interval).
Today I noticed while standing near the front of the car while it was idling that there was a distinct "tick-tick-tick" noise coming from the engine that I hadn't heard before. This is my second Audi diesel, and I'm familiar with the noises the engine makes, but haven't heard this yet.
I'm wondering if it's related to the MIL coming on, but it could just be a case of paranoia.
Any thoughts on what the noise might be caused by? I remember my Range Rover making a somewhat similar noise before a VERY costly repair (that resulted in my buying the Q5, actually!) and I'm very much hoping it's nothing like that.
The ticking happens about once per second, which suggests to me that it's coming from a belt or something that's in constant motion.
I realize it's slightly vague info, but I'd appreciate any suggestions you've all got so I can head into the dealer a bit better prepared.
Old 06-09-2016, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

I can't help you. You might want to look over in the Q7 forum where the TDI might be higher mileage.
Old 06-09-2016, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'll take a look. Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 06-09-2016, 09:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it's normal. I have 55k on my 14 and all seems legit.
Old 06-10-2016, 04:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Sir,

Not sure if this is the same issue but I have noticed more of that "tic-tic-tic" sound or that big diesel idle sound with different blends of gas. It seems to be more noticeable with the winter blend than the summer. I try and get my gas from the same station but with me traveling a lot, it doesn't always happen. However, I don't have any check engine lights or any other associated failures.

I have heard that using an additive like Stanadyne or Hot Shot Secret helps bring the Cetane level up, keep your fuel systems clean and reduce that diesel sound.

I have about 35K on both my 2014 and 2015 Q5 TDIs.

V/r
Dan