Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2.0T Chip?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 10:03 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.0T Chip?

Any performance chips available for the 2013 2.0T Q5? If not a chip, maybe a generic tune?

Thanks!
Old 07-01-2013, 02:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Evo-L
Any performance chips available for the 2013 2.0T Q5? If not a chip, maybe a generic tune?

Thanks!
Yes don't know brand but 3Zero3 Motorsports in Lakewood, co installs one and they said the difference is amazing. Theybare helpful you could call them.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Wow that is close to home for me, I live in Lakewood CO, do you know what they charge for that and does it have any impact on warranty?
Old 07-01-2013, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 230 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Kobi's Q
Wow that is close to home for me, I live in Lakewood CO, do you know what they charge for that and does it have any impact on warranty?
When you go to the dealer you will most likely be flagged as modified and that information stays in the corporate Audi computer. It can affect future warranty work. More knowledgeable posters around here can fill you in.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
When you go to the dealer you will most likely be flagged as modified and that information stays in the corporate Audi computer. It can affect future warranty work. More knowledgeable posters around here can fill you in.
Search the forums for APR and GIAC and you'll find lots of info. I think, although I haven't done it myself, that a chip-only first-stage tune will run you somewhere in the 500-750 range.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by rtlm
Search the forums for APR and GIAC and you'll find lots of info. I think, although I haven't done it myself, that a chip-only first-stage tune will run you somewhere in the 500-750 range.
Thanks for the info - price doesn't seem to bad, it is just the warranty I need to find out about, I don't want to void my warranty for more ponies under the hood.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I did the STASIS ECU update as soon as it became available and did it also on an A4, both with 2.0T engines. I just got a 2013 Q5 as a loaner car during my service and I was glad to be back in my own. The difference is astonishing. Now that I had a comparison it confirmed why I did the upgrade. BTW, I did it through the Audi dealer, they note it in the computer and according to the dealer there is no issue with warranty as either Audi or Stasis picks it up. I looked at APR as well (something I used in 2 older cars before) which runs about half the price of Stasis and also has a nice valet mode but I am not convinced on warranty - both older cars I upgraded after warranty ran out, so it was not an issue as I used the shop that did the APR installation also for services but on the Q5/A4 I am still on free maintenance, so did not want to risk it. Now I am looking forward to the SQ5 - maybe Stasis can even tune that one a bit

Here is the link to the stasis site for details
http://stasisengineering.com/signatu...ies-q5-20-2011

I only did the ECU - no exhaust or anything else.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 613 Likes on 511 Posts
Default "Warning Will Robinson"...being sober on tuning

Just search on "Audi TD1" in any search engine and find info, from other than the tuners. Here's one that goes on interminably, and BTW also for the owner and his warranty issue. Go to post 159 (toward the bottom of this linked page) and you can see the Audi TSB about flagging tuned cars in the Audi tracking system. http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...to-flash/page4 The thread takes many pages to follow the underlying story/events from the OP. The quick distillation is besides the engine mod issue, it took months to get the TSB for the 8 speed rough shifting reprogramming done after questions came up of whether his whole powertrain warranty was now DOA after the Audi service computer registered the TD1 mod code.

Be interested to watch on the 2014 2.0T's too to see if the new motor also gets the ECU more locked down as I have seen suggested somewhere. From my 2010 Mini S experience with its 1.6T, the tuner/mod part of that car's leading forum (NAM) was enthused and tripping over itself about buying 2011's with the slight HP bump (and maybe their latest supposed FSI/PCV fix). Some years later, it became clear the 2011's and up could not be tuned easily any more, so net of tuning the 2010's turned out to be the more moddable ones. Of course along the way, there were all kinds of "we're working on it" and "soon" messages about availability. Put such a damper on it that the innovative tuner with the Cobb device eventually gave up; indirectly it suggests a lot of the tunes market is actually for new or nearly new vehicles, rather than older ones. In fact, literally today (July 1, 2013) is the last day they are supporting the product officially (Alta Performance AccessPort). Great product BTW, but then I own a 2010 in that case...downloaded the latest revs. just the other day knowing it was wrapping up.

Net, tune at your own risk, do assume the dealer service dep't will be able to see it electronically even if you can "set it back to stock temporarily," and do not assume you will automatically have an Audi power train warranty, certainly at least for the motor and turbo system, if not more. Leads to the common advice of either: "you gotta pay to play" and/or wait until the warranty has run. And for those buying 2014's, at least the 2.0T's, don't automatically assume it's even an option.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 07-01-2013 at 10:57 AM.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Kobi's Q
It is about $700+/- installed. Call Ryan at 3Zero3 Motorsports (303) 456-8383 (not open today, and maybe not Friday either). He will explain how it conforms with warranty. I will probably do this on my 2014 next spring. 3Zero3 is an amazing place and they work on the most fabulous Audis, Porsches, BMWs. I suggest you hook up with them for any kind of work on your car including maintainance they are first class. Like them on Facebook...they have the coolest posts of all the cars in their shop every day.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Just search on "Audi TD1" in any search engine and find info, from other than the tuners. Here's one that goes on interminably, and BTW also for the owner and his warranty issue. Go to post 159 (toward the bottom of this linked page) and you can see the Audi TSB about flagging tuned cars in the Audi tracking system. http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...to-flash/page4 The thread takes many pages to follow the underlying story/events from the OP. The quick distillation is besides the engine mod issue, it took months to get the TSB for the 8 speed rough shifting reprogramming done after questions came up of whether his whole powertrain warranty was now DOA after the Audi service computer registered the TD1 mod code.

Be interested to watch on the 2014 2.0T's too to see if the new motor also gets the ECU more locked down as I have seen suggested somewhere. From my 2010 Mini S experience with its 1.6T, the tuner/mod part of that car's leading forum (NAM) was enthused and tripping over itself about buying 2011's with the slight HP bump (and maybe their latest supposed FSI/PCV fix). Some years later, it became clear the 2011's and up could not be tuned easily any more, so net of tuning the 2010's turned out to be the more moddable ones. Of course along the way, there were all kinds of "we're working on it" and "soon" messages about availability. Put such a damper on it that the innovative tuner with the Cobb device eventually gave up; indirectly it suggests a lot of the tunes market is actually for new or nearly new vehicles, rather than older ones. In fact, literally today (July 1, 2013) is the last day they are supporting the product officially (Alta Performance AccessPort). Great product BTW, but then I own a 2010 in that case...downloaded the latest revs. just the other day knowing it was wrapping up.

Net, tune at your own risk, do assume the dealer service dep't will be able to see it electronically even if you can "set it back to stock temporarily," and do not assume you will automatically have an Audi power train warranty, certainly at least for the motor and turbo system, if not more. Leads to the common advice of either: "you gotta pay to play" and/or wait until the warranty has run. And for those buying 2014's, at least the 2.0T's, don't automatically assume it's even an option.
Good advice always. 3Zero3 Motorsports did not think it would be very different to do this for the 2014s and the 2014s have +10 hp anyway. It should be interesting to see if that's a noticeable difference.