Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2011 MB GLK 350

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by boltsfan
I can get a nicely equipped GLK for thousands less than the Q5. I do love the new 2011 Q5 but no dealers in So Cal are willing to make a good deal (at least not yet).
I got my Q5 in LA for right around invoice, I can give you a contact at Keyes in Van Nuys if you want.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

One thing that made me choose the Q5 over the GLK is the exclusivity. I can see 10 GLK for every Q5 on the road. MB is selling so many of them that this model as lost its prestige.

Also I personally don't like the interior.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

We also test drove the gLK twice before going for the Q5. Similarly equiped, they end up costing the same price.

I really like the GLK exterior. I think it comes out of the mass of other SUVs. You can't help but notice one when you see it.
I don't like the interior that much. I don't think it is as luxurious as the Q5's interior.

I also found the GLK to be too small inside. Rear seats are very close to front seats even for a 5'8 guy like me. Cargo space is really really tight. We would have problems packing for a family of 4 for a week-end out of town.

I think it's neat that the Q5 rear seats can be folded 40/20/40. With the center seat down, it allows to transport skis without having to purchase a Thule box or ski rack.

Fuel economy in the GLK is pretty bad if this is a concern to you. The Q5 is very hard to beat on that aspect, especially given that's it's an SUV.

Finally, after trying both cars, it's true that you "ride in a Mercedes but you drive an Audi". At the end of the day, it's how you feel after driving both cars that will make you pick one or the other. I think they're both OK, depending on your specific needs.
Old 08-24-2010, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

I agree with many of your points. My bro-in-law was wondering why I didn't pick the GLK as well. My wife and I think the GLK is a sweet looking car. It certainly looks great on city streets. Even though the GLK was high on our list, it got dinged quickly from a practicality standpoint. Back seat was fairly tight and cargo space was puny. We needed the car seat to fit.

Originally Posted by pgarzani
We also test drove the gLK twice before going for the Q5. Similarly equiped, they end up costing the same price.

I really like the GLK exterior. I think it comes out of the mass of other SUVs. You can't help but notice one when you see it.
I don't like the interior that much. I don't think it is as luxurious as the Q5's interior.

I also found the GLK to be too small inside. Rear seats are very close to front seats even for a 5'8 guy like me. Cargo space is really really tight. We would have problems packing for a family of 4 for a week-end out of town.

I think it's neat that the Q5 rear seats can be folded 40/20/40. With the center seat down, it allows to transport skis without having to purchase a Thule box or ski rack.

Fuel economy in the GLK is pretty bad if this is a concern to you. The Q5 is very hard to beat on that aspect, especially given that's it's an SUV.

Finally, after trying both cars, it's true that you "ride in a Mercedes but you drive an Audi". At the end of the day, it's how you feel after driving both cars that will make you pick one or the other. I think they're both OK, depending on your specific needs.
Old 08-24-2010, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

I have not seen great reviews of them by Autoweek or Road and Track
Old 08-24-2010, 03:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

http://www.autoweek.com/article/2010...IEWS/100229986
Old 08-24-2010, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I agree

Originally Posted by The G Man
boltsfan, before you jump the gun on the GLK, I would suggest you go test drive one first. It’s quite different from the Q5 3.2. It doesn’t perform as well and the built material is cheaper and the interior is almost Chrysler like.
I have rented several GLK's. While the car feels very solid and the engine was smooth I was shocked by the interior design and quality and not in a good way. Breaking, agility and overall balance of the car felt off too. Exterior styling preferences are subjective but of all the MB designs this one is my least favorite. I think the Q5 has twice the shelf life of the GLK.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

I would have agreed a few months ago but for the past month I've been seeing Q5's every day on different routes. Probably has to do with better availability and factory orders coming through. The 2.0T option will result in more Q5s too. One day last week, I saw 5 *white* Q5s... one of them was an S-line like mine :-)

An XC60 would be more exclusive if that's important to you.

Last edited by GolfGL; 08-24-2010 at 07:01 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

I liked the 7-speed transmission and engine but hated the very disconnected feel of the steering wheel. I couldn't get used to the wheel that just wouldn't return to centre after a turn and wouldn't provide any feedback either. The navi system looked a bit dated but then again I am not overly impressed with the Q5 MMI - lots of potential there with powerful 3D-rendering hardware and gorgeous LED-backlit high-res screen but software and navi database really needs updating. Small features I loved on the GLK were the rear 120V outlet and the ability to turn on the rear reading lights from the driver seat (very convenient with kids).

One last opinion - I sort of got the feeling that I getting more car for the money with the Q5 vs. the A4. It's just seems that much more well put together with a bit more 'presence', and quality of interior is somewhere between an A4 and A6. I didn't get that feeling with a GLK vs. C-Class... almost felt like GLK was de-contented and a step below the C in terms of styling and quality.

Last edited by GolfGL; 08-24-2010 at 06:56 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hey Boltsfan,
I'm glad that I'm not the only Chargers fan here...
My wife and I just sold our 2008 GMC Yukon and bought a 2011 Audi Q5 2.0T. We test drove a lot of vehicles. Lexus RX, BMW X5, Cadillac SRX, Infiniti FX, etc. We didn't drive the GLK but that's because my wife and I didn't care for the styling. We had narrowed it down to the Lexus RX or the Q5. Can't really say anything negative about the RX other than it wasn't as sporty to drive and you see another one every time you turn around. We wanted something a little different. This commercial pretty much sums up how we felt about the RX:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8MTpaBUCpc
I can tell you that we couldn't be more pleased in our decision. My wife is the main driver of the Q5 and she commutes from Ramona to Kearny Mesa everyday in it. The quality was just night and day better than the rest. I test drove the 3.2 and then saw the MPG's on the 2.0T so had to drive it and compare. Honestly wasn't a noticeable difference in power during the test drive and I'm one to pay extra for the horsepower. The 8 speed Tiptronic was just so smooth through the gears and the 4cyl actually makes more torque than the 6cyl. If I wanted more power I could do an ECU upgrade and have it selectable so when my wife drives it she could be in the stock setting and then when I drive it I could have the extra ponies. So I felt the extra $ for the 3.2 would be a waste. Especially since this was going to be a commuter vehicle.
We bought our Audi from Audi of Escondido. They were easy to work with and the salesperson was not pushy at all. I talked back and forth with him for a couple of weeks via email asking questions and finding out what they had in stock etc.
We got a 2011 Q5 2.0T, Premium Plus, Navigation, 19" wheels in Brilliant Black w/ Cinnamon interior. The sticker or MSRP was $44,155. We got it for $40,535 which we were told was $250 over invoice.
So, I can't really tell you too much about the GLK but I can tell you that you won't be dissapointed in the Q5.

Quick Reply: 2011 MB GLK 350