Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2011 Q5 2.0T transmission at 1266 miles

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 03:27 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Q5 2.0T transmission at 1266 miles

Newbie here and first post so let me know if I do this incorrectly.

At two and one-half weeks the beautiful new Q5 would not allow reverse and produced a "transmission gearbox malfunction". AudiCare towed the vehicle back and provided a loaner. Service stated it was a "module malfunction" and the module was being shipped. Major bummer as we really like the vehicle. I know things happen but not what I expected in quality from the brand. So far they handling this ok with a Q5 loaner (3.2 S-Line) but I hope this fix is the last on the tranny.

Bummed out in Ohio

Prem+ 2.0T Deep Sea Blue/Cinnamon B&O/MMI
Old 07-03-2011, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bigak
Newbie here and first post so let me know if I do this incorrectly.

At two and one-half weeks the beautiful new Q5 would not allow reverse and produced a "transmission gearbox malfunction". AudiCare towed the vehicle back and provided a loaner. Service stated it was a "module malfunction" and the module was being shipped. Major bummer as we really like the vehicle. I know things happen but not what I expected in quality from the brand. So far they handling this ok with a Q5 loaner (3.2 S-Line) but I hope this fix is the last on the tranny.

Bummed out in Ohio

Prem+ 2.0T Deep Sea Blue/Cinnamon B&O/MMI
Sorry about your trouble and welcome to the AudiWorld.
Check out if your state has lemon law.
I think you handle this good - I saw many post when user start screaming WTF - my 50K car!!!
Just stay calm and let your dealer take care of this issue. Make a copy and documented every phone call, conversation etc. If, god forbid, you need to go to court - you have proof on your hands.

Good luck and keep posted.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Welcome. Sorry to hear about your tranny-troubles. That's tough when it is so fresh out of the box. I'll be interested to hear how things get resolved

While you are waiting and driving the 3.2, I'd like to ultimately hear your opinion of one motor & gearbox versus the other. There is constant commentary on this forum about preferences either way and I don't think there has been anyone who has had the opportunity to drive both for extended periods.

Good luck.
Old 07-04-2011, 03:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

If, as the dealer says, it is only the transmission module then I don't think you have anything to worry about. They'll swap it for a new one and code it up and you'll be away.
Old 07-04-2011, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ouch !

Yes, sounds like an electronic problem....

my 05 SUV had something like that @ 3k miles... that was 139k perfect miles ago!

and that's my experience playing with those pesky computers since the 70's, electronics either break right out of the box, or last a long time !

good luck and your new car can earn your trust again!!!
Old 07-04-2011, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

bigak, You are the first owner with a 8 speed tranny module problem on this board. I hope the dealer troubleshot the problem correctly as this is a brand new transmission for Audi here in the US. Like Time89 said, document everything and get everything in writing.

Good Luck.
Old 07-05-2011, 02:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome, thanks for posting. Please keep us informed of your progress.
Old 07-05-2011, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Transmission Update

Received a call from the service manager at the dealership and the news was not good!! The replacement modules did not solve the "no reverse" issue and that Audi is crating up a new transmission in Germany to replace the entire unit. This is so depressing. They heavily apologized and told me to continue to drive the loaner Q5 for as long as it takes. They keep telling me they have never seen this issue in any of the models.

A small part of me ( probably the optimist side of me) is thinking the total replacement is better than taking it apart and trying to fix.

I guess I need to start researching the Ohio lemon law.
Old 07-05-2011, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by bigak
Transmission Update

Received a call from the service manager at the dealership and the news was not good!! The replacement modules did not solve the "no reverse" issue and that Audi is crating up a new transmission in Germany to replace the entire unit. This is so depressing. They heavily apologized and told me to continue to drive the loaner Q5 for as long as it takes. They keep telling me they have never seen this issue in any of the models.

A small part of me ( probably the optimist side of me) is thinking the total replacement is better than taking it apart and trying to fix.

I guess I need to start researching the Ohio lemon law.
I have to agree with small part of you

Sorry, man

http://www.carlemon.com/lemon/OH_LemonGuide.html
Old 07-05-2011, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

They are not really allowed to crack those things open and start replacing bits, they have instructions to box it up and send it back to R&D and have them disasemble it with such low miles on it. I recently had my rear differential fail with only 9k on the dial, same story...overnighted a new one and the old went back to be gone over with a fine tooth comb.
So I've been told anyway.....

Good luck AK

Dave

Quick Reply: 2011 Q5 2.0T transmission at 1266 miles