Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2012 Audi Q5: Gearbox malfunction (No reverse) but you may continue to drive.

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2021, 11:01 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jessy Jasper
I have the same issue with my A7. What did you change?
Hi. The shop changed the “Mechatronic” unit. Was from a donor car also with dual clutch. Since it wasn’t a S5 donor car they had to get FW software programmed at Audi to suit the S5 which then worked perfect. The reprogramming became most expensive item on the final bill.
Good luck.
Old 01-07-2021, 11:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Good article on it.

https://carpart.com.au/blog/educatio...chatronic-unit
Old 01-25-2021, 01:39 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Greg Q5
Good day fellow members,

I am experiencing what seems to be an "intermittent" issue with my 2011 Q5. A couple months ago my vehicle would not gear up from 1st nor would it go into reverse. I sent it to the dealership and they wanted to charge me an arm and a leg for a new Megateonics for the gearbox. I decided not to immediately do the repairs, they reassembled my vehicle and miraculously it was working as designed.

After doing my investigation it seems as though just a solenoid in the Megateonics is the faulty piece and requires replacing however they do not sell this part separately.

Can anyone advise where I could source this part online? From my understands it's the N437 solenoid if that makes sense?

I am based in Dubai but obviously any place I will purchase it from and courier to me

Your help will be much appreciated

Kind regards
Greg
hi ,
regarding all mentioned issues with audi transmission fails even in law miles is due to mechatronic fail , some stuck selenides mainly or failed seal, i just found a company that dose mechatronic remanufacture depends on the fault will cost 400 EP ,trying to flush the oil and replace the filters wont guarantee the fix if its not working it isnt , dont through your money on replacing parts like circut board unless you do a proper inspection .
nice cars with horrible durability.
wish you all the best.
Old 05-30-2021, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by pradman
While turning on my car after few minutes I had an error message on my screen "Gearbox malfunction you may continue to drive with limited functionality" and then went off, next day I went to one garage who handles German cars, upon checking he found the error saying "clutch limitation due to temperature". His conclusion was the battery which was giving me this issue. I did have some battery issues since past few days specially during the car start up. So far its been one week I do not have any error as of now, just hoping no further surprises.
Did anyone encounter such error due to battery.
I have. I'm taking mine in tomorrow.
Old 06-01-2021, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

If I may suggest? Spend about $8 and you can get a nice digital voltmeter WITH two USB sockets in it, that you can plug into the center console cigarette lighter socket. The transmission lever blocks line of sight when you are in park but it is easy enough to get around that. Those cheap meters aren't the world's most accurate but should be within 1/10th of a volt, so they are a convenient way to see what the clever Audi charging system is up to.

In theory, a brand new battery is 12.7-12.8 volts (will vary with type and temperature) and you can literally call it dead when it is one volt lower than new. So if it was 12.8 volts and now says 12.3 (after parking overnight, or after a shutdown and two minutes of a load like your headlights) then it is 50% consumed. The dealers claim Audi will misbehave at 12.2 volts, which is lousy engineering since most cars are quite happy with that. After all, the battery is only needed to stat the car, the alternator and charge controller take over after that, and the car "should" idle/cruise at 14.4 volts most of the time, although the alternator will cut back or even shut off on long rides when there is no heavy load, in order to bump up gas mileage just a hair.

But for eight or ten bucks...you can find out very quickly if you are getting BS'd.

Also, if you have Carista or similar software, even on the base AMI models it can enable a built-in battery meter. A crude one that only measures in 10% increments, but still, there's a battery meter hiding in the display, that software can enable.
Old 06-01-2021, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I tried to enable the battery meter, but it doesn’t work. Some forum member said that it is very inaccurate and can’t be enabled.
Old 06-01-2021, 03:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Carista just got that option released recently, so I can tell you that the option CAN be enabled, I've done it on an AMI system and it is supposed to be available in the MMI systems as well. Perversely, you have to scroll UP in whatever menu screen it has been added to, when everything else is a scroll DOWN from the default line. With other software, you may not have that option. (Ask the software maker.) Since it only works in 10% increments and a wild assed guess is that means 10% increments of "capacity", another meaningless Audi term....that's why I got the combo USB plug fo the lighter. If I really get motivated, I'll check it against a calibrated meter, but 14.4 at cruising speed tells me at least this one is pretty good out of the box.