Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2012 Q5 2.0T engine hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Q5 2.0T engine hesitation

Recently I purchased a new 2012 Q5 with the 2.0 turbo engine. The vehicle is awesome to drive however I’ve noticed when sitting in traffic or starting from a stop the car hesitates before accelerating. I don’t believe it’s transmission it’s more like there’s a dead spot in the pedal. It’s not as apparent in sport mode but the trade off is an increase in mpg. I took the car in for service and was informed there was a software upgrade and for a time I thought the problem was solved but now it’s back. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 11-22-2012, 03:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Turbo lag
Old 11-22-2012, 05:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

i guess most ppl will reply and say "turbo won't kick in at low rpm".
Try bring it to the dealer and test drive another Q5 2.0T.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

True. I read that as he was accelerating through an intersection.

Hope u can get it fixed man.
Old 11-23-2012, 03:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I also have a 2012 2.0T with about 2800 miles. I have noted the same issue. I find it most apparent when the vehicle is accelerating from a stop on a downhill grade. It lags and then jerks.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Without driving your car, I'm thinking it is just the way the car drives. I'd say it's just traditional turbo lag coupled with the 8 speed transmission. I find that at low speeds idling or rolling in traffic, the transmission gets confused and can't quite figure out what gear it wants to be in. This plus the regular turbo lag which despite what Audi says, can't really be fully removed.

But like someone else suggested, test drive another 2.0T and compare to see if you have an overriding issue. My bet is you don't and it's just the way the turbo is. Trade-off...good on gas and has some punch for a tiny engine, but it comes with the hesitation.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by rjrdomer
Without driving your car, I'm thinking it is just the way the car drives. I'd say it's just traditional turbo lag coupled with the 8 speed transmission. I find that at low speeds idling or rolling in traffic, the transmission gets confused and can't quite figure out what gear it wants to be in. This plus the regular turbo lag which despite what Audi says, can't really be fully removed.

But like someone else suggested, test drive another 2.0T and compare to see if you have an overriding issue. My bet is you don't and it's just the way the turbo is. Trade-off...good on gas and has some punch for a tiny engine, but it comes with the hesitation.
Exactly, and as someone else stated, the best way to mitigate the transmission effect is to drive in S.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The hesitation is most apparent when sitting in bumper to bumper traffic at slow speed, RPM is low so I don't think it's turbo lag. Maybe the best approach is as suggested to test drive another 2.0 T and do a comparison. Funny though the software upgrade seemed to fix the problem and now it's back - intermittent problems are always the hardest to diagnose. Thanks, I appreciate your help.
Old 11-24-2012, 03:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by John2012Q5
Recently I purchased a new 2012 Q5 with the 2.0 turbo engine. The vehicle is awesome to drive however I’ve noticed when sitting in traffic or starting from a stop the car hesitates before accelerating. I don’t believe it’s transmission it’s more like there’s a dead spot in the pedal. It’s not as apparent in sport mode but the trade off is an increase in mpg. I took the car in for service and was informed there was a software upgrade and for a time I thought the problem was solved but now it’s back. Anyone have any ideas?
It's common to both the 3.2 and 2.0. I hate--HATE--the throttle mapping in these vehicles. It is nowhere near linear and forces you to add more throttle than seems necessary, against a stiff return spring, to get moving only to have to back off the throttle and cause a jerk.

This is my single biggest complaint. I would pay for a VAG-COM mod that remapped the throttle to something approaching linear.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Humm - that's interesting - I think you're on to something!

Quick Reply: 2012 Q5 2.0T engine hesitation