Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2012 Q5

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sjuhawks19
I can't believe people wouldn't buy a car because of a lack of a backup camera. Backup cameras have become popular in the last 5 years or so, yet we all seemed to be able to backup prior to that. I know it is a useful option but to not by a vehicle because of that one feature alone seems bizarre.

My wife has a Nissan Murano and it has a backup camera. Nice feature, but the vehicle has massive C pillars so it's more necessary. I do not have the camera on my Q5 and although I wanted it intially, I was glad I saved the $3000, it's not needed on the Q5. The mirrors do the job, particularly because they tilt down when backing up and come on just turn your head, it's not that hard. I feel like people are acting like they are not offering a steering wheel any longer.

I use Verizon's Navigator on my Blackberry for $10 a month (which I can use in any car), so between that and using the mirrors I saved a lot of money.
Actually, i believe back up camera's have become more prevalent in the last 5 years or so due to the increasing popularity of SUV's and crossovers. I think it took a while to realize that backing these things up is not the same as backing up your Dad's Chevy family wagon from 1965.

There a larger blind spots than cars just a few years ago, just look at all the news articles of parents tragically running there own kids over in their driveways...side mirrors aren't going to show you a kid or a dog when it's directly behind your bumper.

I'm sure that automatic transmissions were poo pooed too when they first came out as not being for "real drivers", most drivers today wouldn't buy a car if it were only offered as a standard though.

I also am concerned with resale especially if Audi starts offering the camera's later in 2012.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

No backup camera would be a deal killer for me.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

One thing to remember is that though there's no camera, the sensors are still there. I don't know what's the smallest object it can recognize, but I've seen it beep on curbs, so a child or dog should be recognized as well. The resale value issue could be valid though, especially if this is only for a limited time.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gat821
One thing to remember is that though there's no camera, the sensors are still there. I don't know what's the smallest object it can recognize, but I've seen it beep on curbs, so a child or dog should be recognized as well. The resale value issue could be valid though, especially if this is only for a limited time.
The sensors work pretty well and I use them a lot more than the camera (I still turn around when backung up). The only issue I've had is forgetting our other vehicle doesn't have them.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

I think resale will be an issue since the cams are supposed to be required in a few years...thought it was 2014. So if all new cars have it might be a tougher sell, but one benefit you have is most consumers are dumb and wouldn't know that one year they weren't avaialble.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Moonlight Blue?

Has anyone found any color swaths for the 2012 colors? I'm interested in "Moonlight Blue" but have not been able to find out how it compares to 2011's "Deep Sea Blue"
Old 04-28-2011, 05:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Over at the A4 side of these forums, they're saying the sensor package actually contains the backup camera, making the package name just badly named perhaps. Thing is the A4 order guide specifically calls this out as a sensor package, while the Q5 order guide just says sensors, though I guess a camera is a sensor Semantics maybe.....

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2798146
Old 04-29-2011, 08:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default no backup cameras

The word from the dealer I've been working with is no backup cameras in any 2012 Audi models.
Old 04-30-2011, 04:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

It's probably too much to assume that reduced functionality results in a reduced price, huh. That package probably costs more with the regression. Bummer.
Old 04-30-2011, 05:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by bmartin5150
Anyone have pictures of a Q5 with the titanium package? It could look really good with certain colors.
They don't exist yet as it's only a 2012 option. Minus the color of the wheels, I will have the exact same package as the Titanium package in about 3-4 weeks from now: Black S-Line with black syling package (2.0T). I will post pics when I get it.

Quick Reply: 2012 Q5