Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2012 Q5 3.2 PP: Master Key & Driver Seat Memory?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 12:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Q5 3.2 PP: Master Key & Driver Seat Memory?

I've had my 2012 Q5 3.2 PP for a week now and still cannot assign my master key to the driver seat settings. I have no trouble assigning the settings to the door memory buttons. My Audi tech tells me the 2012 Q5 PP does NOT assign driver seat settings to a master key. That simply strikes me as odd, so tonight I went back into the 2012 Q5 manual and found what I was looking for on p. 37, under the section Personal comfort settings:"…when the vehicle is locked, person convenience settings for the following systems [emphasis mine] are stored and assigned to the master remote key.

— Climate control
— Central locking system
— Seat memory* [emphasis mine again]
— Parking system*
— Adaptive control*
— Audi side assist*
— Audi drive assist*

The stored settings are automatically recalled when you unlock the vehicle…." [emphasis mine again]

(The asterisks seem to be tied to making sure I know the above systems are also stored in "vehicles with Convenience key.")

So, in spite of my tech, the manual SAYS my Q5 stores and assigns the following systems to my master remote key:
— Climate control
— Central locking system
— Seat memory
— Parking System

EXCEPT IT DOESN'T!!

Since the last three systems listed in the stored-and-assigned list are 3.2 Prestige options only, I first wondered if that was the explanation. But the Parking system is ALSO listed and that is not a Prestige-only system. Neither is Climate control nor the Central locking system. So that leaves me where I started, with a clear, unambiguous statement that the seat memory is stored and assigned to the master remote key, I find no statement that says otherwise.

(And interestingly enough (or not!), I find no other references in the manual or online (though the latter was a quick search) to Q5 Personal comfort/convenience settings.)

I'd appreciate anyone with a 2012 Q5 3.2 PP letting me know (1) if the driver seat memory can be assigned to the master remote key and (2) if yes, what the procedure is for executing the assignment.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-09-2012, 01:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Check through your MMI settings. It can be set active or not for each key.
In other words turn on ignition set key memory on for that key.
Lock the car with that key. Open with other key setup up alternate settings make sure other key is also active in MMI lock car with second key to save its settings.
Now unlock with first key and seat should move!

Last edited by Jusforfun; 03-09-2012 at 02:04 AM. Reason: Individual key set.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

If you have the advanced key with pushbutton start, I found that you need to actually place the key in the dash and start it that way when assigning the key memories. After that you can just keep key in pocket. Not sure if that is truely needed but it worked for me. Also check what Just for fun stated above.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by johncaravello
If you have the advanced key with pushbutton start, I found that you need to actually place the key in the dash and start it that way when assigning the key memories. After that you can just keep key in pocket. Not sure if that is truely needed but it worked for me. Also check what Just for fun stated above.
+1. Put each key into the ignition and program them independently the first time. Make sure it's active in the MMI settings also.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default MMI Settings For Keys?

Originally Posted by Jusforfun
Check through your MMI settings. It can be set active or not for each key.
In other words turn on ignition set key memory on for that key.
Lock the car with that key. Open with other key setup up alternate settings make sure other key is also active in MMI lock car with second key to save its settings.
Now unlock with first key and seat should move!
I've found the MMI general setting for "Key mem. profile." It's been ON since I first drove the vehicle. The key punch route to it is Car > Seat adjustment > Driver's seat > Key memory profile > on/off I've gone through the MMI menus and found nothing about setting a key active or not. If you can provide me with the key punch route, that would be great. In the meantime I'll experiment with my second key.

Thanks!

Paul
Old 03-11-2012, 11:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by johncaravello
Excellent point. Thanks, John. When you say, "advanced key with pushbutton start," you don't mean a key that can START the vehicle do you? My Q5 has a pushbutton start, but my master remote keys don't.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by palmxp3
+1. Put each key into the ignition and program them independently the first time. Make sure it's active in the MMI settings also.
Yep, that's on today's list. Two keys, two programs. And the one MMI setting about key memory profiles is ON.

Thanks!
Old 03-13-2012, 09:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default No Joy

Originally Posted by river0
Yep, that's on today's list. Two keys, two programs. And the one MMI setting about key memory profiles is ON.
Tried to program my two master remote keys to my seat settings today, using all the suggestions suggested below by other members (thanks!). Nothing worked. :-( I can program the driver door memory buttons, and those work just fine. But not the keys. It's as if the door-buttons memories and the keys memories exist in different universes. Maybe they do....

From here on it looks like door-button memories for me.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by river0
Tried to program my two master remote keys to my seat settings today, using all the suggestions suggested below by other members (thanks!). Nothing worked. :-( I can program the driver door memory buttons, and those work just fine. But not the keys. It's as if the door-buttons memories and the keys memories exist in different universes. Maybe they do....

From here on it looks like door-button memories for me.
That's odd because I know it works. My key and my fiance's keys are individually programmed for seat memory, mirrors, MMI settings, etc. Whenever one of us touches the handle to open the door (advanced key), it automatically recalls the seat position set to that key. I would suggest a trip to the dealer to see if they can help you with that.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by palmxp3
That's odd because I know it works. My key and my fiance's keys are individually programmed for seat memory, mirrors, MMI settings, etc. Whenever one of us touches the handle to open the door (advanced key), it automatically recalls the seat position set to that key. I would suggest a trip to the dealer to see if they can help you with that.
Yeah, normally a trip to the dealer would be a great idea. Unfortunately the master Audi tech there says the keys DON'T hold seat, MMI settings, etc. But I do plan to go in again Monday with your report of success.

One quick question. When you say "advanced key," you do mean unlocking via the door handle yes? I've been unlocking via the remote master keys, not the door handle touch. Perhaps that's my problem?

Thanks for your help.

P.

Quick Reply: 2012 Q5 3.2 PP: Master Key & Driver Seat Memory?