Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2012 Q5 Heated Seats

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 08:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Q5 Heated Seats

This is a simple question- I think. I have a 2012 Q5 and was wondering why the button that controls the heated seats also turns the vehicles heating system on at the same time. I.e if the heated seats and the heating system are off and all I want is to turn on the heated seats I push the button for the seats to allow adjustment of the 0-6 setting, however, pushing this button also turns on the heat. I can see this as a convenience thing but its a little redicuslous. The same goes for turning the heated seats off. If the heat is off and I push the heated seat button to turn off the heated seats it now has just turned on the vehicles fans to blow heat. Should this be the case? I hope what I am describing makes sense. Thanks!
Old 10-22-2012, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They've done this since 2009.

I believe the 2013 has changed this though.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Haha I mentioned this exact same thing in a survey I got yesterday from Audi.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Audi should be able to fix this crazy operation with a simple software flash. Its just not worth the cost to them in order to satisfy the few people who care (myself included).
Old 10-24-2012, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They did on the 2013 models! I had my 2012 updated to increase seat heat output. It worked. Then I traded for a 2013 A6. Good bye Q5, power steering whine and obsolete navigation. Please note the rest of the Q was great no real issues after 17k miles.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have to say that for the expense of this vehicle you would think they would have these kinks worked out at this stage of the Q5's life- I cant imagine a feature like this is truly what most people are looking for. At this point I am feeling remorse for purchasing this vehicle and it is for random stupid things like this heated seat issue or that rediculous info button! I mean come on Audi I expected more and so far have been let down!
Old 10-28-2012, 03:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DER KONIG PANZER
They did on the 2013 models! I had my 2012 updated to increase seat heat output. It worked. Then I traded for a 2013 A6. Good bye Q5, power steering whine and obsolete navigation. Please note the rest of the Q was great no real issues after 17k miles.
How do you have it updated?? Is that something a dealer does or is this something you have done outside of a dealer? What else did it improve and what was the cost to have this done?
Old 10-28-2012, 03:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by GlasserDVM
How do you have it updated?? Is that something a dealer does or is this something you have done outside of a dealer? What else did it improve and what was the cost to have this done?
The cost should be zero if you are still under the Audi warranty. The fix was just a software update to increase the max output of the seat heaters. Your dealer should have a TSB for the change. Nothing else improved as the service was just for the heated seat problem.
Old 10-28-2012, 05:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DER KONIG PANZER
The cost should be zero if you are still under the Audi warranty. The fix was just a software update to increase the max output of the seat heaters. Your dealer should have a TSB for the change. Nothing else improved as the service was just for the heated seat problem.
If I only recently purchased the vehicle- about 2 months ago- do you think this would have been done prior to the purchase? Or is it something that an owner has to request?
Old 10-28-2012, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by GlasserDVM
If I only recently purchased the vehicle- about 2 months ago- do you think this would have been done prior to the purchase? Or is it something that an owner has to request?
It has been corrected on 2013 models. Any 2012 could have the issue. If you purchased per-owned then the previous owner would have had to request it. If you purchased a new 2012 you could request the dealer perform the TSB.

Quick Reply: 2012 Q5 Heated Seats