Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2013 3.0T Arrived! (with pics!)

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 03:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 3.0T Arrived! (with pics!)

Good morning,

Yesterday I picked up my new 3.0T/Cuvee Siver/Chestnut Brown/Sport Pkg/S-Line/Prestige

Pictures attached. I have day one observations in a second.
Attached Images      
Old 12-23-2012, 03:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Day 1 Observations

Ok--some interesting observations after day 1.

--S-Line badging. I ordered the Prestige package with sport and then added 20" wheels. Audi automatically makes this model with these accessories an "S-Line" model at that point in the build.

-3.0T Engine is blazing. Now, admittedly, I am coming out of a GL 450, but, we have an A4 Cab 3.2 in the garage and the Q5 will do circles around it. Don't ever recall a day 1 engine launching off the line like this one.

--MMI. Some good experiences, some confusing things. I will give this a few more days to see if user error can be worked out. But, I will tell everyone--spend some time with the dealer rep.

--Tow hitch. Very well done. Only one problem, I put the bike rack on the tow hitch and started backing down the driveway and the sensors would not stop going off. They treated the bike rack as an object that the car was going to back into. I am wondering if they don't have this configured right. The manual says that a "properly installed" tow hitch will not activate the rear sensors when towing.

--20" wheels. Well, perhaps the greatest surprise and disappointment are the 20"s. The wheel design is fantastic--but, Audi choose the new Goodyear Excellence tires for my ride. Very harsh ride. My wife even asked me about it. They will have to be replaced next week with something else and I will put the Excellence on a rack for turn-in at the end of the lease. Anyway, the dealer indicated that Audi keeps switching tires on them and one look around the lot revealed Continental, Goodyear, Michelin and Pirelli tires on various Audi's--even the same models side by side. I welcome any thoughts and experiences on alternative choices and/or a way to approach Audi about the ride from these.

--Interior. Well, the pictures don't do justice. I have a new camera arriving from Santa and I will get you some more candy. Really, unreal. The car was on the showroom floor and had a "Sold" sign for me in the window. People were lining up to sit inside it and they had 3 strong offers to take it if I did not close the deal.

--Exterior. Cuvee Silver. It looks gold in some lights, silver in others. I am normally a silver or black car guy--so this is new for me.

Well, I have some other thoughts--but, I can only tell you this. If you can swing a 3.0T, run (don't walk) and order one. This is my 3rd Audi with a couple of Mercedes Benz' in the middle. This engine will bring you back. It is that good.

Cheers to all and thanks for the ideas and information on this forum!
Old 12-23-2012, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Congrats! Love the color!
Old 12-23-2012, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on the new car. I agree on the Cuvee looking a little different in different lighting. IMO looks great in the sun when clean.
Old 12-23-2012, 05:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

Chestnut is best interior colour for Cuvee. I was originally going to get Cuvee, but I saw it on an A4 and didn't like it. It looks very good on the Q and I now have some pangs of regret after seeing yours. Nice car and congrats.
Old 12-23-2012, 05:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I am sure that whatever color you ordered, it will still rock.

The Chestnut Brown is fantastic because of the brown and black interior. The headliner is black--not alacantra--but, pretty close. It frames the panoramic roof really well and the trim pops out.

One other thing, the wood ordered is the natural finish. You will see that on the S-Line (and maybe this is the case for all models) the wood is framed by a thin strip of aluminum. It is absolutely fantastic. You can feel the grain. If anyone wants pictures, let me know.

A buddy of mine opened the door and the first thing he had to do was rub the trim. Very unusual in a world of gloss coated wood (of faux wood) to feel real grain. My GL 450 had beautiful wood, but, with a high gloss and every now and then someone would ask it was real wood. There is no question in the Q5 that it's real wood. Each piece is different.

I was a bit anxious moving from the MB to the Audi. Very different rides. But, the Q5 is like an Armani suit that was custom shrink wrapped to your body. I think Audi must have tons of folks sit in these cars and say things like, when you use that control, how does it feel? My MB was clunky and clumsy with controls. Like an engineer decided what they thought was best. Audi is like the Apple of cars. Design. Simplicity. Elegance and performance.

For those of you guys who are looking at the X-3. Let me tell you this. I drove the X-3 for a couple of hours. I tried to convince myself I wanted it because I wanted to go down to SC and pick up my car at the factory, test drive program, etc. The X-3 is a great car. But, the little things on the Q5 3.0 make a difference. Just take the tow hitch. The local BMW dealer would not put on one the car and the factory would not either. The B&O stereo on the Q5 is simply beautiful. I have a house full of DynAudio equipment and BelCanto amps. My children are accustomed to really good music. Last night on the first test drive, they said--wow! Now that was a first from them on a car stereo system.

Is the car perfect. Hardly. I have identified some areas that confuse me a bit and, as noted, tires will be replaced in 2 weeks. But, all in all--a very cool ride.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Congrats on the car... it looks great!
Old 12-23-2012, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Oh wow, that is a beautiful color combo. It looks fantastic. Ausi really needs to step up their website so that you can get a better representation online. The color in the configurator looks nothing like that. Congrats and good luck with it!
Old 12-23-2012, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I agree. It's REALLY hard to get an idea of their colors on the Audi website. The hard copy brocure isn't any better. Cuvee looks entirely different in person.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Shouldn't the S line come with flat bottom steering? or because you ordered prestige? Great looking car.

Quick Reply: 2013 3.0T Arrived! (with pics!)