Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2013 Audi Q5 will have Low Dust Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 12:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

apparently another australian q5 driver has the same indents on his disc as well.....will have to get audi to check the pads again......
Old 02-12-2013, 02:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Personally, I'm not all that thrilled with the stopping power of the Q5. Takes a lot more force than any car I've driven, which isn't very confidence building. Took quite a bit if getting used to, especially when i'm switching cars. Kind of a 'Cadillac' feel to the brake pedal.

The car does stop when you stomp on it, just doesn't have much of an initial bite. I'm pretty sure this was the result of the low dust pads, which makes sense (harder pad compound).

I have a feeling towing this Spring is not going to fun. Maybe there's a better pad option out there for the fronts; we'll see if it needs it.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by shireguy
photos on new pads causing disc damage...car has only travelled 2800kms
I've seen that type of damage to rotors before, it's not that uncommon. Likely due to something getting in there between the pad and rotor. This is why we used to cut rotors with new pads; gets out all of the imperfections from common road wear.

But that is the first I've seen it at such a low millage car. Maybe there was some extra metal in the pad (defect) can't tell without inspecting it closer.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by antirich
I've seen that type of damage to rotors before, it's not that uncommon. Likely due to something getting in there between the pad and rotor. This is why we used to cut rotors with new pads; gets out all of the imperfections from common road wear.

But that is the first I've seen it at such a low millage car. Maybe there was some extra metal in the pad (defect) can't tell without inspecting it closer.
Actually, they replaced the damaged disc 3 weeks ago, so this damage has been done on only 300km on city road drving only...over a period of 2 weeks....

you would think Audi would have checked the pads, on a hot day here in Sydney, when pads and disc are warm, the sound is horrible...

firstly they replaced the 'springs' which hold the pads and they thought the issue was pads not releasing properly...

not a good start for the MY13
Old 02-12-2013, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had my 2013 brakes on for a week now with no issues.

The pads looked perfect prior to install.

The initial bite was not there, but the brakes were not bedded in properly. I spent 2 days doing a proper bed in of the braked and they are really great now.

The only thing I'm running different than the MY 13 OEMs are the stainless steel brake lines (which help with pedal feel) and my slotted rotors.

I personally love the new 4 potters. They are a great upgrade from previous model years. The biggest thing they'll help with is brake fade over a period of braking, since they are solid calipers.

I still think you have a foreign object in your pad, or between your pad and rotor.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ThunderDent
I've had my 2013 brakes on for a week now with no issues.

The pads looked perfect prior to install.

The initial bite was not there, but the brakes were not bedded in properly. I spent 2 days doing a proper bed in of the braked and they are really great now.

The only thing I'm running different than the MY 13 OEMs are the stainless steel brake lines (which help with pedal feel) and my slotted rotors.

I personally love the new 4 potters. They are a great upgrade from previous model years. The biggest thing they'll help with is brake fade over a period of braking, since they are solid calipers.

I still think you have a foreign object in your pad, or between your pad and rotor.

Thanks, I hope its as simple as that, something that simple should have been checked out intially....the sound is horrible though which is weird...doesnt always happen and only when the brakes are warm
Old 02-12-2013, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If they changed the spring clips to no avail, then they need to swap the pads before you get worse damage on the rotors.

Follow this process for bedding in your brakes:

http://zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm
Old 02-12-2013, 07:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

will update tomorrow after it goes in again....
Attached Images  
Old 02-13-2013, 09:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by shireguy
photos on new pads causing disc damage...car has only travelled 2800kms
Again spent the day at Audi and still not resolved after I drive home....they applied some lube on the pads and sanded it back even,checked for clearance and tested drove with no problems as soon as i step in for a drive afterwards it occurs.... very very frustrating !!
Old 10-01-2014, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default 2013 Q5 S-Line - Brakes Squealing

I also have a 2013 Q5 S-line and initially had issues with the brakes squealing. I mentioned it to the dealer upon my first service and they said that's normal. It got to the point that I took it in at 25k miles and they called me and told me I needed new brakes and rotors. I explained that there is no way that the car should need new brakes and rotors at 25k miles and stated this had been an issue since shortly after purchase. The dealership told me it would be $1000+ for the repair, so I elected to contact Audi's VP of Customer Experience, Jeri Ward. She placed someone in touch with me, they scheduled a service appointment and agreed to replace brakes and rotors at their expense.

At my 30k mile service, the brakes had once again developed a noticeable squeak. The dealer had it all day and finally said tat Audi hadn't issued a recall on Q5 S-Line pads, but realized there was a problem. The service rep mentioned that they would need to keep the car, as they were having a "new prototype" brake pad sent overnight, which should resolve the issue. The service rep said that I would be the "guinea pig", which wasn't reassuring. The pads were replaced and despite the fact that the service rep mentioned there was considerable blueing on the rotors, only pads were replaced.

This leads me to today. The brakes have developed a noticeable vibration and the rotors outer edge looks like it has been grinded down - along wit considerable discoloration from the hat the brakes are generating. I have spoken with Audi's corporate once and they are trying their best to avoid replacing the brakes and further, the state that the pads were simply a update and should have had no bearing on the premature wear on the rotors. Yeah, right! Audi's customer service is horrible! They obviously go above and beyond to try to avoid liability for their faulty engineering.

Quick Reply: 2013 Audi Q5 will have Low Dust Brake Pads