Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2013 Q5 Lease Offer Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiQ5sleeper
your best solution is finance the car. im paying 680 to own my car on a 60 month term.
His car is listed at around 52k so he would be at $900 plus per month if financing. Unless he put 13k down he could not be close to your number.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by doobs41378
His car is listed at around 52k so he would be at $900 plus per month if financing. Unless he put 13k down he could not be close to your number.
It's actually closer to $850/mo since almost everyone gets $2k off MSRP and he's putting down $1500, plus his credit score puts him into a 1.9% rate with Audi Financial. But either way, we're probably comparing apples to oranges here (3.0T to AudiQ5Sleeper's 2.0T).

Even so, comparing the lease to purchase of that specific model comes out to the same price - around $850/mo for 35 months for lease, or $850/mo for 60 months to buy. This just re-iterates how terrible that lease offer is.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by doobs41378
its still too much to lease, OP should waiting for leasing deals if OP wants to lease
Old 01-07-2013, 01:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Best advice I got was to shop around, and use actual lease factors, like sale price, money factors, residual, etc. Just plug them into theleasecalculator.com to calculate the numbers you should be paying. Don't EVER just go for the "money down/money per month" terminology, it opens up all sorts of ways to add $$ into the deal.

If a dealer doesn't want to give you those numbers, go to another dealership. Or better yet, find another salesman and call him/her direct and ask. I've always been amazed at how many salesman can't (or won't) figure out lease prices on their own.

Even advertised 'zero down deals' are typically missing dealer fees, taxes, options, and so forth. I've called about $400/month offers only to find out the take home price was over five.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by NCSailing
During my lease negotiation of the Q5 3.0T, I qualified for Tier1 rates and I ran two scenarios. Lease over 3 years, purchase over 5. The lease over 3 years saved me about $120/month which works out to only $3,600 savings over the 3-year period. Audi's do not lease particularly well because the factory does not artificially inflate the residual. A higher residual (like BMW uses) will mean that you are financing less and, therefore, lower payments. Audi's lease are structured to approximate the real value of the vehicle at the lease turn-in point. BMW drives payment deals with leases in excess of the real market residual meaning that their vehicles lease well--but, you are stuck with the BMW until the end of the lease for sure since, at any point in the lease, the real value of the vehicle is well below the inflated residual and the lessor (you) would have to come up with the delta to get out.

The ultimate question that any lease vs. buy decision with an Audi comes down to whether you see yourself keeping the car beyond 5-years. At the end of 5-years, yes, you will own a car worth between $20 and $25K (really depends upon the model you choose and your mileage)--but, during the last two years of payments under the loan (beyond the 3-year lease), you will have paid approximately $15,000 in payments and when added to the delta on a 3-year lease plus the first 2 years of your next car lease, you have paid about $23K more than leasing (yes, leasing 2 cars over a 5-year period) to ultimately own a car worth about the same amount. You haven't "lost" the $23K--but, your asset is worth about the extra money you paid and you have a 5-year old car. I can show this to you on a piece of paper. My wife who is a lawyer made me walk her thru the math ten times and, in the end, she is now a lease believer.

For me, I choose the lease. I save $3,600 over a 3-year period and then I am out into a new ride. Zero maintenance during that period as I added AudiCare which actually reduced my lease rate and added $7/month to my payment.

I think cars, by and large, are depreciating assets and there are very few cars worth driving more than 5 years unless you are prepared to deal with repair bills. But, I do have friends that push their rides 6 to 9 years. If that is you, then leasing may not be a good idea. I like to have a car with no expenses for 3 years and just as the warranty starts to come off, roll into the next one. With the way that technology is moving (navigation systems, etc.), I find that I can't own cars that long. Imagine owning your iphone (or Samsung) for 5-years.... I do know people that wear a badge of courage with a 4-year old phone---but, I can't go more than 18 to 24 months.

Cheers and good luck!
I am like you and this is why I also like leasing. New car > no payments

And I think you have an accurate take on the math. Two things for me factor in. I drive about 12K / year and I like a new car with new tech every 2-3 years. And although I do not hate payments as much as some, I definitely like my payment as low as possible

Looking at leasing my Q5 if I take that direction from my current ride, a RX350 2012 with 25K on it. I did purchase that car, when I think I should have leased it.