Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2013 Q5 Lift Gate Doesn't Close on First Attempt

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 05:43 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 Q5 Lift Gate Doesn't Close on First Attempt

When pressing the button to close the lift gate, it starts to close for a second and then stutter-stops and raises back to fully open. If I hit the button a second time it usually closes without issue but sometimes it will require a third attempt.

I haven't really noticed a pattern about it yet, but it seems to happen 90% of the time I try to shut the lift gate and it's been happening for about 2 weeks now. To top things off I JUST took my Q5 in for it's 5K service right before this issue showed up. Arg!

At any rate, I've been using the cargo area a lot more as of late for my dogs and softball and stuff, so I'm not sure if that's partly to blame but it's definitely proven that it's a recurring issue and not a one off thing.

The only reason I haven't gone immediately back in for service is because it's a huge hassle to take it to my busy dealer due to distance and their operating hours/availability. Plus their shuttle service is only offered once an hour regardless of circumstances. So if your appointment is at 8:10, you have to wait 50 minutes before the next shuttle at 9. So I'd rather not take it in if I can avoid it but obviously if it's the only answer, I'll just have to suck it up and take it in.

Anyways, I was hoping it's something simple that others know how to fix without needing dealer assistance.

Any help or advice is appreciated. Thanks a lot.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

I guess, start with the simplest things first. Is it possible that something is caught in part of the mechanism? Obviously, something is triggering the safety return system, as if it thinks something is caught in the path of the door. Maybe some leaves, or something random from using it a bunch with your dogs?
Old 03-10-2013, 09:47 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by dougnash
I guess, start with the simplest things first. Is it possible that something is caught in part of the mechanism? Obviously, something is triggering the safety return system, as if it thinks something is caught in the path of the door. Maybe some leaves, or something random from using it a bunch with your dogs?
Good idea, I'll try that tomorrow and return with results. But offhand, I didn't notice anything in the way bit I'll inspect it a bit closer this time to be doubly sure.