Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

The 2013 Q5 revealed

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 02:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsetorange
So I went to University Audi (Seattle) yesterday to pick up a MY2013 Order Guide. They only had the 2.0T order guide, and not 3.0T. Also, did not have pricing guide, stating that this would only be available when the first car 'hits the port'. They stated their first 2013 would arrive in mid-Sept.

I asked about placing an order, and the guy was willing to do that, and when I asked about negotiating a price when the pricing guide was not yet released, he basically told me I'd be paying MRSP since the car was 'so popular'. I was chatting with 2 sales guys at that point (my 3rd time at dealer to check things out - every time I get the newest sales person...). They didn't seem to be terribly interested in working for business - this attitude was a major turn-off. It felt very much like the scene in Pretty Woman where Julia Roberts gets poor service because she is perceived to be non-weathly and non-worthy of service. Just because I don't announce my profession/the fact that I can pay cash now/and didn't drive up in a fancy car - I was judged immediately.

Needless to say I think this was the final straw that will make me not buy from that dealer and check out others. I very much want a Q5 - and this being my first Audi experience, I'm not overly impressed with the condescending attitude.

My question is: are those who have put in orders now (before pricing guide available) negotiating a price above invoice or below MRSP? Are you getting a deal?

Also - is the closest thing to "S line" in 2.0T model the "aluminum interior" feature you can select? I am disappointed that S line is not an option, and don't want to pay the extra money and gas costs of a 3.0T.

In my opinion, Audi's weakest link - their Achilles' Heel - is the dealer network and sales experience. I just got an Owner's Circle survey in my email regarding Audi's communications, and dealer communications is mentioned. It made me realize that in the 1.5 years that I've had my Q5, I haven't heard from the dealer since the purchase. That's no way to treat a customer, and I'm on my 3rd new Audi.

My Q5 has surpassed my expectations so hoepfully that'll be the case for you as well. Once you get your Q5 I suspect you'll forget all about the lousy dealer experience.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by NABS4
The fuel economy ratings between the 2.0T and 3.0T are negligible. I haven't seen any NA ratings, but the European "extra urban" spec is 6.9 L/100km for both engines. The "combined" rating is 7.9 for the 2.0 and 8.5 for the V6. I was originally going to order the 2.0T because I don't think the 3.2 warranted the price difference between the two engines. I have changed my order to the 3.0T, because is a far superior engine as compared to the 3.2. Every time I drive the S4 I marvel at the torque and smoothness of that engine. My only hope is that Audi has artificially under rated the output of the engine to leave room for the upcoming SQ5 which will probably be rated at 333 (same as the S4). Get the 3.0.

I negotiated a price below list. In my area there isn't much competition between dealers, and given the popularity of the Q5 (esp with 3.0T), the dealers don't move much.

I can't answer the question regarding the S-Line package, because in Canada the S-LIne is available with the 2.0.
fueleconomy.gov shows the 2013 Q5 with the 2.0 getting slightly better than 2012 20/28/23 vs. 20/27/22. Wonder how that will compare in real world driving to the 3.0.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default decisions, decisions

Thanks all for the advice.

It's amazing what different dealerships will try to sell - -

I have been talking to a new dealership, asking about either 3.0T with S-line versus 2.0T with added "S-line" type features (aluminum trim, sport seats, larger tires), as I'm still not sure which way to go.

One dealership says "definitely do the 3.0", and the other says "definitely go 2.0T - it's tested & true, and you don't need the extra power unless you're going to tow things". I find it hard to decipher whether the 2.0 dealership just wants the sale now (as they won't take orders on 3.0 yet)....versus honest advice....

I basically wanted a 2.0T with s-line, but sadly that is not available in the US - so trying to decide whether I want S-line so badly that I pay $3K more and take the 3.0T. I only do city driving...

Also - still looking to hear what people are negotiating on price....