Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2013 Q5 Steering

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 06:19 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 2.0T

Originally Posted by ThunderDent
Even if you don't have ADS, if you want to tighten up the steering it's easy to do with VCDS. All you have to do is add the ADS function to your MMI, then you can select what steering wheel setting you like best.

Making it stiffer definitely makes the drive sportier. The comfort setting is too sloppy, I agree. Even on the pre-facelift models.
I have a 2013 2.0T. I have not noticed the notchy feeling on center. I did notice that occasionally it takes some attendance to keep it in a straight line on the interstate. I think it's feel is fine on the twisty roads, just about as good as my girlfriend's 2011 BMW 328. I have appreciated that there seems to be more assist at slow speeds, like when parking. All the manufacturers are going to electronic steering, mainly for fuel economy.

I love the Q5. I know the 2.0T does not have the pop of the 3.0T but frankly it feels as peppy as the the 328. Besides, when the need for horsepower strikes, I have a 2010 Corvette for that.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Our '13 2.0T will be here in about a month. No notice on the test drive of a "notch".

VAG has been using electric steering for some time. My '10 GTI electric steering is very precise and has excellent feel. The new 991 and 981 series Porsches have electric steering as does the upcoming GT3 and GT3 RSR race car.

There have been some reports of self centering feel from the electric sysytems. M own personal experience is that the feel is simply different from that of a hydraulic pump. There is still a direct connection to the steering rack, it's not "steer by wire".
Old 01-12-2013, 04:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Solomente
...Other cars I test drove (not Audi's) had horrendously bad steering feel, like driving a video game. Go test drive a highlander hybrid and you'll love the feel of your steering
What others did you drive and did any have superior steering to the Q5?
Old 01-13-2013, 06:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by LarryC6
SNIP

I have a 2013 2.0T. I have not noticed the notchy feeling on center. I did notice that occasionally it takes some attendance to keep it in a straight line on the interstate.

SNIP
Can you elaborate on what you mean that sometimes it takes some attendance to keep in a straight line?

Thanks!
Old 01-13-2013, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by ds2199
Can you elaborate on what you mean that sometimes it takes some attendance to keep in a straight line?

Thanks!
I had the same issue Friday night. When I was on the turnpike, after doing a left turn to go down the on ramp and after merging I noticed an odd "notch" feel.

I was going straight, and with general driving on an electronic steering you have the constant, ever so slight movement of the wheel from left the right - maybe an 1/16 of an inch either way, but I kept feeling a notch when I would move the wheel to the left and it would feel like the wheel wanted to stay there - it would pull me slightly towards the passing lane, I never felt like I was going to lose control, but it was an odd feeling like when you have an alignment issue. It did this for 7 miles, but it stopped once I exited and turned the wheel counter clockwise to go around an exit. This issue has not happened since and I set up an appointment for service.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks!
On Saturday I returned home to the Boston area from Vermont and go through some really straight stretches of interstate in New Hampshire. All cars need some steering adjustments in a straight line as they encounter slightly different road camber and cracks, repairs, etc. I have a 2010 Corvette with very wide tires and we slightly changed the front alignment specs to make it not get led around quite as much as it did when I first got it.

I think what is happening with the Q5 is this: I think with any type of steering assist there comes the point where the control (hydraulic or electronic) recognizes that the wheel is being turned so it starts to add assist. This response can be quicker or slower depending on design and tuning, and on-center steering "feel" is very important to sporting handling. I think the Q5 steering assist is just a touch slower than I am used to, and as a result, when I go to make that little direction adjustment there is less boost so I am using more force to move the wheel that little bit, and then the assist comes on and I wind up turning it more than it needed, so I have to correct back the other way. This makes me feel like I have to pay more attention than I am used to. I made an effort to not use as much force to turn the wheel that 1/16-1/8" and it was better. I think I just have to get used to this and it is a small thing. I think this can make the steering feel like it is caught in a "notch", before the assist comes in.

I suppose the trade-off is the excellent steering feel that the Q5 has, especially on twisty roads. My handling standard is my girlfriend's BMW 328ix, and the Q5 is VERY close to that on the twisty Vermont mountain roads.

Hope this helps----
Old 01-14-2013, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think you have captured the issue perfectly - With hydraulic steering, the pump is always "on". With electric systems, if the wheel is straight, no assist is required. The "notch" is the response time of the system moving off center.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I am hoping that there is some kind of firmware upgrade or a way to tune the steering (being that it is electronic).

Anyone out there with 2013 Q5, please chime in. I am really interested to know if there are vehicles that do not seem to have this steering issue. I can only say for now that my vehicle and another one that we test drove at the dealership (to compare steering), both seem to have this steering issue.

Thanks!
Haven't noticed any steering issues at all. Very happy with the 2013 3.0T other than the sport seats which are a bit too firm, in my opinion.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I may have a similar issue in my 2012 A6. It's very hard to describe but I can definitely say that the on-center feel is lousy. It's like there's a bit of play around center, or the EPS boost is switching on and off like someone else said. I drive a lot on the flat and STRAIGHT interstate highways in Florida and sometimes I find myself swaying left and right on the steering wheel trying to keep the car straight. But I've only had my car for 3 months and I'm hoping this is something I can learn and adapt to.

In fact, I just went on a 1,000 mile drive from Orlando to Pittsburgh. I have Audi Drive Select and I found putting the steering on "Comfort" eliminated the problem. Maybe because it provides higher power steering boost all-around including on-center? Anyway, it was also good for reducing arm fatigue so I was more relaxed for the 15 hour drive.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by newmoon
I have Audi Drive Select and I found putting the steering on "Comfort" eliminated the problem.
IMO, with the steering wheel set on COMFORT, there is way to much slop in the steering feel. This is in 2011 with hydrolic pump.

Of course, that's all individual feel. I just like my steering tighter, so I can feel the road a bit more in the turns.

The only 2013 I've driven is an A4 loaner I had for a few days. I didn't notice it being any different than my 2011 Q. I'm getting another service loaner on Monday for a couple of days, so I'll try to pay special attention to see if there is any difference.

Quick Reply: 2013 Q5 Steering