Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2013 Q5 Steering

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ds2199
OP here. It appears that a new steering rack has fixed the problem. It's only been two days, but it is like night and day better!!!

I hope we just had a faulty steering rack and this is not a widespread issue.

I'll keep the updating as time passes, but am hopeful that th issue is permanently resolved.
Good to hear they found the problem. Did they say exactly which part was faulty? I've put a little over 1k miles on my 3.0T with no steering issues at all. It's very smooth and responsive under all conditions and in all positions...so far. I personally like it better than my 2011. Here's hoping it was an isolated incident. Will watch for your updates. TKS
Old 01-27-2013, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The new C&D magazine has a comparison test of Q5, X3 and Evoque. They didn't care for the Q5's steering saying it's too light and lacking feel.

I don't agree, I like the steering, but I'm sure they had their reasons. It is a little different but not in a bad way IMO.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Q5 Bob
The new C&D magazine has a comparison test of Q5, X3 and Evoque. They didn't care for the Q5's steering saying it's too light and lacking feel.

I don't agree, I like the steering, but I'm sure they had their reasons. It is a little different but not in a bad way IMO.
To me, the steering varies depending on which profile I'm using with ADS. Comfort has the least pleasing feel and I'm not referring to the amount of boost it has. It feels numb and difficult to find center. Auto and Dymanic feel best, but Dynamic may be a little too stiff. I think the steering is fine overall.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is on a 2013 2.0T stock wheels, tires etc.

It happens under motion. The only way that I can describe it is when you are driving in a straight line (city or hwy speeds), if you need to move the steering just slightly (just keeping in the center of your lane), it feels like there is a notch in the wheel. So that it's not just a miniscule movement, but maybe more than you want and then you may need to move back in the other direction.

It's my wifes new car and she is VERY unhappy with the steering. I have taken it to the dealership and they have awknowledged what I am describing, but they do not appear to know if it is something that can be tuned (fixed) or not.

Being that this is a new steering setup for 2013, I thought I'd see if anyone else has experienced the steering as I attempted to describe above.

Thanks!
I'm new to this forum. I have a 2013 A6 3.0T with the same issue. I had the car for about 2 weeks, picked up the car in VA when the outside temperature is 70+ and didn't notice any problem driving back to PA. When the temperature dropped to 10F, I thought it's the 20" Summer tires, went to the dealer and put winter tires on, the problem is still there, but only for the first 10 minutes or so and then it goes away. The SM/tech feels that too when they took the car to the car wash.

There are multiple threads at motor-work.de covering all models with the new steering SW update having this issues, hopefully AofA will have a fix for it soon.

Will update when I take the car in for the 5k service.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Update

OP here. After the replacement of the steering rack, the car drives perfect.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

How do you know the steering rack was replaced? Did you mark the original one to make sure they did indeed replace it? Maybe they just told you they replaced it to placate you.

Is there a possibility that the fact that the dealer did something the perceived steering issue went away?

I have been wrong before...

Old 02-18-2013, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

How many miles have you driven on the new rack? On another steering issue thread, there were some S4 / Allroad users that had issues crop up on the new rack after driving on it for a while.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by abcabc
To me, the steering varies depending on which profile I'm using with ADS. Comfort has the least pleasing feel and I'm not referring to the amount of boost it has. It feels numb and difficult to find center. Auto and Dymanic feel best, but Dynamic may be a little too stiff. I think the steering is fine overall.
Even with the pre-2013 models that holds true. Running in Comfort is full of steering wheel slop. No response at all.

I run in Auto all the time. It's a good bit stiffer, but not too much. I don't think you'd need Dynamic unless you were going to the track.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Has anyone driven both ... with and without ADS? I'd be interested knowing which setting best matchs the Premium+ package without ADS(?)
Old 02-19-2013, 11:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Generally, BMW has very good steering systems on their cars, something they pride themselves with. I test drove an X1 and was amazed that it has electronic steering. Very responsive overall.

Never drove an X3, but i would be surprised if it didn't steer like a 3-series.

Originally Posted by Q5 Bob

Quick Reply: 2013 Q5 Steering