Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2014 oil use

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 231 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by Q5 Bob
Probably like a lot of people we wrestled with the same things when car shopping.

I preferred the V6's in the GLK and RDX. The GLK's styling was a deal breaker and the RDX seemed a bit plain. I liked the performance and handling of the BMW but didn't like the ride w/run flats. After testing and re-testing each we decided the Q5 had the best combo of ride comfort, handling, performance and fuel efficiency for our particular needs. No regrets at this point.
I agree totally, the Q5 was the best "compromise". I just don't understand why they can build us what we want. When was the last time you got a 300 question survey from Audi on what you liked and did not like about your new vehicle....never! One other reason I stay with Audi is that I can change a lot of creature comfort functions with the VAG-COM to my liking. I'm sure Audi will lock that out in the near future.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
I agree totally, the Q5 was the best "compromise". I just don't understand why they can build us what we want. When was the last time you got a 300 question survey from Audi on what you liked and did not like about your new vehicle....never! One other reason I stay with Audi is that I can change a lot of creature comfort functions with the VAG-COM to my liking. I'm sure Audi will lock that out in the near future.
I didn't receive a survey or anything from Audi after purchase. I thought either corporate or the dealership would send out some kind of satisfaction survey.

The dealership experience was fair at best so not too surprised nothing came from them. Since then they've changed management and staff.

I did get one or two surveys from a third party (I think the name began with an M, but not sure).

IMO all new vehicle purchases involve compromise in one form or another in the process.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gr8330
CLOSED I switched my order to a 3.0 after talking to a tech this morning.
Wise choice, we really like ours. Do understand that the 3.0T on the S4 side of things has also had some oil consumption concerns. An aggressive break-in is the forum wisdom to address this. That's what I did with the S4 as well as our 3.0T Q5 and have acceptable consumption on the S4 (less than 1 quart per 10K miles) and next to nothing so far on the Q. Aggressive to me means both occasional higher rpm and full throttle operation virtually right out of the gate. It doesn't mean constant full throttle or red line. With the Q, we made sure it was always is Sport mode and were active with the right foot. Always ensure full operating temp before full throttle or high revs.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Kobi's Q
My 2013 2.0T Q now has 1900 miles on it and just this week the oil dropped one bar from max - my guess is that it has burned 1/5 of a quart of oil now in its first 1900 miles. Personally I'm joyed by this as I thought it would be a lot more with all the oil burn talk I heard prior to me purchasing it, I was expecting it to drop in its first 500 miles of break in. So unless it speeds up it burning rate I will be down about 1/2 quart at the 5K mile mark for its oil change. Only to lose 1/2 quart in its first 5k miles would be simply awesome I would think. At this point I have no concern or worry about oil burn so far, but I do plan on keeping a watchful eye on it as it is always on my mind.
I just had my first (5000 mile) service on my 2013 2.0T Q5. My oil level on the MMI never dropped below full for the entire 5000 miles. I drove it a lot though (5000 miles in 3 months).
Old 06-11-2017, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default 2014 Oil Use

My 2014 A4 started consuming a quart of oil every two fill ups at about 50,000 miles. It is awful. I was told that it failed a consumption test Audi would very likely fix it. It completely failed, but Audi refused to fix it because it was out of warranty. Why did they charge me for the consumption test? It was already out of warranty.
Old 06-12-2017, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 231 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by James Murray
My 2014 A4 started consuming a quart of oil every two fill ups at about 50,000 miles. It is awful. I was told that it failed a consumption test Audi would very likely fix it. It completely failed, but Audi refused to fix it because it was out of warranty. Why did they charge me for the consumption test? It was already out of warranty.
I feel sorry for you! My dealer has repaired over 250, 2.0T engines under the recall TSB already.

It is starting to look like you need to dump any Audi that is at the end of its warranty anymore.

I have come to a conclusion that Audi's are really over priced fluff. I have owned 3, the first 2 were gems. The engineering QC has just gone downhill. Just too many walking wounded issues that come to bite you later in ownership. Oil burning 2.0T/s, timing chain tensioners that basically damage engines to a tune of approximately $7K to fix, plastic water pumps that leak, auxiliary cooling pumps that seize up, headlight lenses that craze from the inside ($3500 to replace), etc., etc.

These vehicles will be throw-a-ways when they get older, who in their right mind would want to buy a used Q5 that's 6+ years old and maybe have to shell out $10-15K to get it up and running properly.