Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2014 Q5 - humming noise at 60+MPH

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Question: is your cross bar installed? if so, you may hear a hum or whistling sound at high speed. try taking off the cross bar if you do have it mounted.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
Here in the northeast we have some concrete highways that are worn. Dept of Transportation has grooved some of the roads. It is amazing the harmonics created between the chassis and tires when going over these roads. Would not be surprised that this is the situation.

I bet it doesn't happen on asphalt roads.
Dennis
I'm with you Dennis... that's why I've tried 3 different tire sets on this car (Michelin Latitude, Pilot Super Sport and Bridgestone Dueler) - unfortunately the sound happens on any road type, but the sound "resonates" over imperfections, so although I hear the sound less on asphalt roads as they are generally smoother, particularly in CA, I still hear it whenever I'm on a bumpy asphalt road just as much as I do on concrete.

The only thing I haven't tried is all-seasons with a tread pattern that is more "blocks" vs. some of the deep-grooved treads that exist on the 3 sets of tires I've tried so far, but I'm 99% sure at this point given my previous tire tests that it's not the tires. I hear the noise regardless.

My dealer appointment is Thursday and the shop foreman is going to ride along with me on a test drive. I'll let folks know what I hear.

Originally Posted by Scott Evil
Everyone of the prior four Audis I have owned suffered a wheel bearing failure and none of those four sounds were identical. Your sound is more hollow, but it is pretty similar. Vehicle, wheel size and shape may alter how it sounds but I would guess that is your issue. At the dealership, they can easily listen to the wheel bearings while it is up on a ramp.

If the wheel bearings are ok, then it is something elsewhere as MP4 mentions above.
Thanks... this is exactly why I want to at least bring the car in under the suspicion that it's a wheel bearing issue, even though the car is so new, because otherwise it's too easy for the service department to be dismissive and just say it's a tire issue. That's why I've gone to the trouble of troubleshooting the tires myself beforehand. Most of the time it IS the tires, but this hollow-sound I have is very pronounced. Road surface makes no difference and thankfully there is a freeway right near the dealer that has a mixture of concrete and asphalt surfaces so I can do a test drive to demonstrate the issue occurs on all of them.

I have heard a similar hollow sound on other Audis but it is FAR less noticeable. This is much more prevalent.

Last edited by TonySCV; 09-16-2013 at 11:54 AM.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiQ5sleeper
Question: is your cross bar installed? if so, you may hear a hum or whistling sound at high speed. try taking off the cross bar if you do have it mounted.
Roof rack cross bars. Never had mine up there on either Q5, but I'd imagine they would make some noise merely from the wind turbulence and the noise would increase with speed. I listened to the video and I've never heard anything like that hollow droning from any of my Audi's. It's almost like a harmonic....there's a four pronged strut that bridges the top of the wheel arches under the hood that is secured by bolts. Far-fetched, but that could be ever-so-slightly loose?
Old 09-16-2013, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by soonerfan
Roof rack cross bars. Never had mine up there on either Q5, but I'd imagine they would make some noise merely from the wind turbulence and the noise would increase with speed. I listened to the video and I've never heard anything like that hollow droning from any of my Audi's. It's almost like a harmonic....there's a four pronged strut that bridges the top of the wheel arches under the hood that is secured by bolts. Far-fetched, but that could be ever-so-slightly loose?
its hard to figure out where the humming is coming. I had a defective wheel bearing. the tech showed me how to tell if its a bad wheel bearing. He did two ways. One is doing aggressive steering side to side. second is popping the gear into neutral. Once the car was in neutral you can hear the hum loud and clear lol. but I don't know about the OP. He may have to test out the cross bar as well. some say its the side mirrors etc.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AudiQ5sleeper
No.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by TonySCV
No.
your better off going to the dealers.
Old 09-21-2013, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Figured it out

Back from the dealer service department after 2 days of troubleshooting. The service department was terrific. Great folks who really took the time to get to the bottom of this.

Service tech did a ride along with me, heard the same noise, and they went to work. Inspected the suspension, differential, drive shaft and wheel bearings - all OK.

They decided to swap out the wheels on my SQ5 with 20" wheels off of a Q5 S-Line they had on hand, thinking it may be something related to the SQ5 rims. Same tire size - 255-45/20, same OEM tire (Michelin Latitude). Different rims. They test drove the car and noise was drastically reduced - almost imperceptible. One of the techs realized something during this experiment that ultimately turned out to be the root cause.

To my surprise (and their surprise), there is a 10PSI difference between what Audi recommends for a Q5 3.0 with 255-45/20's vs. an SQ5 with 255-45/20's. The owner's manual validates this:

So they put my SQ5 wheels and tires back on my car and dropped the pressure from the recommended 40PSI to 31PSI to test it out - sure enough, the hollow humming sound was dramatically lower. They then installed 2 other sets of tires (Michelin Super Sports and Continental DWS) same issue. At 40PSI - humming like crazy. Drop the PSI = vastly less noise.

The humming noise wound up not being a specific brand of tire after all, it is a combination of the high tire pressure and the vehicle or rim design that's generating the noise. Although there was some resonance/loudness variation of the humming between the 3 different brands of tires (the PSS's were a bit louder overall vs. the Latitudes and the Conti DWS's), they all exhibited the same behavior. More noise at 40PSI. Vastly less noise at 31PSI.

While they couldn't recommend that I keep the tires at the lower pressure per the guidelines from Audi, that was clearly the root cause of the issue.

Although I'm relieved to now know the cause and what can be done to address it, why the heck is there such a big difference in recommended tire pressures given identically-sized tires and nearly identical curb weights between the SQ5 and the Q5 3.0? 31PSI average vs. 40PSI average in the manual is a huge difference.

Should I have any concern about running the tires a few PSI lower on the SQ5 than what the manual suggests?

- T

Last edited by TonySCV; 09-22-2013 at 04:38 PM.
Old 09-21-2013, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 616 Likes on 513 Posts
Default Unfortunately, I think you just found what's left of US SQ5 "sport tuned" suspension

Half joking, but half not. We know the ride height change was gutted to conform it as a light truck for US stds. We also know from the parts listings there is no roll bar or similar tweak. From some recent posts the air pressure difference came up, but not for any obvious good reason on an SQ like weight/load. If you want to challenge the weight issue as any rationale BTW, realize either the TDI or the Hybrid are heavier. But those Q5 versions don't have the tires pumped up when fit w/ 20's of the identical size. Seems like they spec'ed the air pressure either as a mistake or some goofy way to try to stiffen up ride and maybe steering feel.

As it were, seems like the air has been kind of let out of the sport tuned suspension hawked by Audi USA marketing, and now literally so given it seems to generate excessive noise.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 09-21-2013 at 04:35 PM.
Old 09-21-2013, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Does the OP have Q5 like mentioned in the first post or an SQ5 with 20" wheels?
Old 09-22-2013, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by koobah
Does the OP have Q5 like mentioned in the first post or an SQ5 with 20" wheels?
Apologies - SQ5

Quick Reply: 2014 Q5 - humming noise at 60+MPH