Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2014 Q5 Stumble

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 08:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2014 Q5 Stumble

My new Q5 with 3000 miles seems to have a slight stumble in drive just off idle. As I accelerate from a stop light I feel a very small stumble just as the vehicle begins to move. Does anyone else have this or know of this problem?
Old 10-19-2013, 02:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have the same issue. It is difficult to get a smooth start. Autoweek (I think) mentioned this on the car as well. So, I think it is inherent in the vehicle. I mentioned it to Audi and they said that they don't have a solution; that all of the cars are doing that.

At least some of the time, I think here is what happens. You take your foot off the brake, the car rolls forward as traffic ahead of you begins to accelerate. As YOU want to accelerate, the car is in the process of selecting second gear (which it seems to want as soon as possible). So, at least sometime, you are catching it in the middle of a gear change; therefore the stumble.

I've noticed that if you don't come to a complete stop, it stays in second, never selecting first, then it is much smoother.

I know this is true because I've had mine programmed to show what gear it is in.
Old 10-19-2013, 03:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jkballon
My new Q5 ...
Which engine might be helpful ...
Old 10-19-2013, 04:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same issue. 2013 3.0 here.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yup, same here. Worse if coming out of Start-Stop mode and immediately hit the accelerator. Now, I let it roll on its own for a short bit (when possible) and then accelerate. All we can do is keep bringing it up to Audi at every opportunity. Hopefully, the "Squeaky wheel gets the grease", or in this case a reprogramming fix.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

The hesitation is the transmission shifting into second gear. It is programmed to shift up very early when in D. Try driving in S, and I suspect the trait will disappear. My car will sometimes start out in 2nd gear from a dead stop, and it would be easy to miss this w/o having the gear indicator programmed via vagcom.
Old 10-19-2013, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Mine does this as well (2.0T w/APR)

Seems to be worse if heavy on the pedal on the start vs. driving "easy".

Sport mode will stretch out the shifts, or Dynamic with ADS).

If you really want to see, run in Manual (Idrive in M 99% of the time) and it should go away. You'll start to notice if you drive that way a lot, that it takes forever for the 1-2 gear change response from the gearbox once selected. All other shifts are quick and snappy, up or down, but 1-2 has a huge hesitation, just going up.
Old 10-19-2013, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by NABS4
The hesitation is the transmission shifting into second gear. It is programmed to shift up very early when in D. Try driving in S, and I suspect the trait will disappear. My car will sometimes start out in 2nd gear from a dead stop, and it would be easy to miss this w/o having the gear indicator programmed via vagcom.
I think this is the same issue brought up in another large thread regarding low gear shift action. My 2014 2.0T is so bad that I really regret purchasing the Q5 and not hanging on to my A3 with DSG. (Not sure I will ever buy another car with a traditional torque converter automatic... this was my first). I find that downshifts can also be jerky. Shift action is really poor in low gears but not so great in any gear. I find the herky/jerky's to be worse in Sport mode and worst when the powertrain is cold. For me, it is most apparent with light throttle application. I always get a jerky shift when first starting out for work in the morning and almost always when making a slow right turn.

I still intend to have this looked at on my first service visit and, at the very least, request that they reset the software. The thread I mentioned did have a reference to a TSB for 2013 Q5's. See:
http://www.automd.com/tsb/bulletin_b350419/
Old 10-19-2013, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Just traded-in our 2010 Q5 3.2L with 6 speed tiptronic. That car had very smooth acceleration from stop. Didn't notice this problem.

We all have to keep pressure up on Audi to have the programming corrected in this 8 speed tiptronic. There is no excuse for the gear confusion.
Old 10-19-2013, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I have the stumble now and then on take off too. I've gotten better at modulating the throttle to keep things as smooth as possible but sometimes conditions dictate that things get a little jerky if you have to move quickly.

Overall, I'm happy with the 2.0t drivetrain, but it's definitely not as smooth and linear at low speeds as a V6 or V8 and sometimes it's a bit peaky like an off/on switch. Once up to speed, the wide torque curve works nicely. Would I buy another small boosted engine? The jury is still out.

Quick Reply: 2014 Q5 Stumble