Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2014 Q5 TDI Test Drive and Pricing

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 Q5 TDI Test Drive and Pricing

I got to test drive the 2014 Q5 TDI on the weekend and I must say that I was extremely impressed. It had loads of power - got to love the torque - and was very smooth and quiet on the highway. It started with 20 kilometers and had 80 kilometers when I was finished with it. Gas mileage was amazing as well as I was getting around 6.5 liters per 100km traveling at 115 km/h down the highway. Pretty good for a vehicle not broke in yet.

The price quote I received from the dealer was full MSRP price which came to just about $75,000 with taxes (fully loaded). I thought I might be able to get a better price than that as it would be a cash deal (fully paid). I was told that if I did not pay that price somebody else would as the demand for these vehicles would be high. Anybody else have a similar experience?

At that price, I think I will be looking at the new BMW X5 coming out at the end of the year.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:16 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

where are you located? in the US people are getting invoice pricing + $500-$1000... that's what i've been reading...
Old 07-20-2013, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts
Default TDI Test Drive and Order

Just came back from my dealer. Test drove 2014 Q5 TDI P+ with navigation, side assist, trailer hitch. Had 19 miles on it. Engine was warm when I arrived (prior drive). Engine injector noise noticeable from front of car. Inside car, so quiet, so much more than my 2010 Q5 3.2 P+. Car accelerated very well, refined experience. Steering was tight and quite nice at all speeds. There was no doubt that I wanted the TDI.

I activated the start-stop system during the test drive. We are in the middle of a heat wave here in New York so air conditioner was active. When the engine shut down you can feel the slight tremble of the engine. Restart was smooth and less noticeable. I would certainly deactivate start-stop in the summer heat.

I finalized my trade-in negotiation and placed an order for the TDI P+, Nav, B&0, layered oak panels, rear air bags, side assist, and trailer hitch in Cuvee Silver with Pistachio Beige interior (wife didn't like the Chestnut Brown interior I wanted). Deal was sticker less 6% ACNA discount and $1000 loyalty, less $26,000 trade for 2010 Q5 with Nav and 41,400 miles. Trade value is fixed for delivery date.

I am so surprised and pleased how well my Q5 experience has been. Leased the 2010 with a sticker of $46,500 3 yr 12k mi with a residual of $23,715. Bought out the vehicle at lease-end (Autotrader value of $30,000 at that time). By estimated delivery date of the 2014 I will have owned the 2010 for 12 months of no payments. Using my old lease payment of $700/mo saved me $8,400 plus sales tax, and trade in of $2,285 over my lease buyout.

I have a big smile. Good luck to you all.

Dennis

Last edited by DennisMitchell; 07-20-2013 at 12:04 PM.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
Leased the 2010 with a sticker of $46,500 3 yr 12k mi with a residual of $23,715. Bought out the vehicle at lease-end (Autotrader value of $30,000 at that time). By estimated delivery date of the 2014 I will have owned the 2010 for 12 months of no payments. Using my old lease payment of $700/mo saved me $8,400 plus sales tax, and trade in of $2,285 over my lease buyout.
i think you're experience the phenomenon of the audi q5 having low residuals but very good resale value. you could have financed your q5 for 6 years and came with the same amount, if not better, equity, and you wouldn't have been subject to the fees associated with leasing. i've done the math and since 1) the residual value hovers just north of 50% and 2) i can get a loan via penfed for ~1.8% over 6 years, i may as well finance it thru penfed. my payments will be roughly the same, and i'll save on fees and interest rate.
Old 07-20-2013, 06:31 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by teddyruxpin
I got to test drive the 2014 Q5 TDI on the weekend and I must say that I was extremely impressed. It had loads of power - got to love the torque - and was very smooth and quiet on the highway. It started with 20 kilometers and had 80 kilometers when I was finished with it. Gas mileage was amazing as well as I was getting around 6.5 liters per 100km traveling at 115 km/h down the highway. Pretty good for a vehicle not broke in yet.

The price quote I received from the dealer was full MSRP price which came to just about $75,000 with taxes (fully loaded). I thought I might be able to get a better price than that as it would be a cash deal (fully paid). I was told that if I did not pay that price somebody else would as the demand for these vehicles would be high. Anybody else have a similar experience?

At that price, I think I will be looking at the new BMW X5 coming out at the end of the year.
I was also impressed with the TDI after a fun test drive. The dealer offered full MSRP with the Audi care maintenance thrown in. This is for an ordered car where I would have to wait a few months to take delivery. I am pushing for an invoice plus 1,000 deal but the dealer would not budge. What have other TDI buyers negotiated? I am in northern California.
Old 07-20-2013, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by joey jojo
i think you're experience the phenomenon of the audi q5 having low residuals but very good resale value. you could have financed your q5 for 6 years and came with the same amount, if not better, equity, and you wouldn't have been subject to the fees associated with leasing. i've done the math and since 1) the residual value hovers just north of 50% and 2) i can get a loan via penfed for ~1.8% over 6 years, i may as well finance it thru penfed. my payments will be roughly the same, and i'll save on fees and interest rate.
I agree. That is why I am buying this time around. But Q5 residuals have increased significantly as the public recognized this excellent product. Hindsight is 20/20. Leasing has its place as a hedge against the risk of lemons and plummeting resale values.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by GoldenBear
I was also impressed with the TDI after a fun test drive. The dealer offered full MSRP with the Audi care maintenance thrown in. This is for an ordered car where I would have to wait a few months to take delivery. I am pushing for an invoice plus 1,000 deal but the dealer would not budge. What have other TDI buyers negotiated? I am in northern California.
Most TDI buyers seem to be getting the same sorts of deals as any other Q5 buyer, which for many people here seems to be practically invoice. But it can vary by your area, though, as dealers that don't move as many vehicles will be less likely to deal. A lot of people shop around, or there's those who qualify for things like the Supplier program (whether through their work or through ACNA membership) where there's a set price.

You can certainly do better than full MSRP (or I suppose $800 under, whatever the AudiCare runs), but you may need to be willing to drive a little ways from another dealership. Not sure what the network is like in your area, but there's undoubtedly people in your general region around here who could help.
Old 07-21-2013, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by idale
Most TDI buyers seem to be getting the same sorts of deals as any other Q5 buyer, which for many people here seems to be practically invoice. But it can vary by your area, though, as dealers that don't move as many vehicles will be less likely to deal. A lot of people shop around, or there's those who qualify for things like the Supplier program (whether through their work or through ACNA membership) where there's a set price.

You can certainly do better than full MSRP (or I suppose $800 under, whatever the AudiCare runs), but you may need to be willing to drive a little ways from another dealership. Not sure what the network is like in your area, but there's undoubtedly people in your general region around here who could help.
Idale - thanks for your response. I am in an area (SF Bay Area) with multiple dealers within a 60 mile radius so I should be able to negotiate. I already received a follow-up call from my local dealer who offered $1,500 off MSRP so we are headed in the right direction but not there yet. I am waiting to hear from the fleet/Internet sales manager from another dealership so we will see where this ends up.

Are there any TDI purchasers in the bay area who want to share the details of their deals?
Old 07-21-2013, 03:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Good luck! At least generally the internet/fleet side tends to be more willing to deal (and potentially just flat out offer a good enough deal). Hopefully somewhere can get you the price you're looking for, since almost everyone around here talking about pricing has been getting some pretty nice deals.
Old 07-21-2013, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 615 Likes on 512 Posts
Default Also in SF Bay Area

I bought a Hybrid on Euro delivery a few months ago so can't give you direct pointers on the TDI. But see my reply a month or two ago in the NorCal regional board here on AW. https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...php?p=24458946 The difference in quality, professionalism and frankly even basic ethics was stark. While I hadn't been there much in 20+ years, Stevens Creek carried the day and the sale--straight forward, professional, no amateur quasi laughable sales baloney like some of my other experiences.

Supplementing that post BTW, Royal wasn't in the game; the Pleasanton one was a bit out of range and I don't perceive as at the same volume as Stevens Creek; Oakland is much lower volume and has little reputation for dealing; and Concord and Sonnen are way far away from me given my mid Peninsula locale.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 07-21-2013 at 03:29 PM.

Quick Reply: 2014 Q5 TDI Test Drive and Pricing