Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2014 TFSI SQ5 vs 2012 3.2 S-line Q5 (mini review)

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 TFSI SQ5 vs 2012 3.2 S-line Q5 (mini review)

So I picked up my Monsoon grey 2014 SQ5 TFSI (Nappa black interior, 21" Wheels, Carbon Atlas, Nav, Audi Side assist, B&O) yesterday and have been out driving it and detailing it to get it up to snuff. So fun! I previously had a 2012 3.2 S-line in Daytona grey and black interior (Nav, S-line)

I went back and forth between the 2014 TDI with S-line plus package and the SQ5. I liked the TDI gas milage and the way the engine drove… unfortunately in the US it doesn't come with the S-line bumpers like the 3.0 TFSI does. So to get the bumper upgrade you need to get the S-line plus… which is fine… I just am not a fan of the black optics (titanium wheels, black grill, black roof rails, blacked out chrome around the windows). My biggest issues with the black optics is the black grill looks cheap. It's flat black plastic from of the 2.0T style grill. If they had made the grill all shiny black it would be so much better. I just looks like cheap black plastic. Plus, I am not a huge fan of the titanium wheels. On a grey car or a black car they just look like a brake dust covered normal wheel. Non-s-line was just not an option as I hate a grey headliner.

The SQ5 was awesome… the gas milage of course sucks. But the additional HP is amazing. For a difference of $3k after my ACNA 6% off, plus $1,000 off for audi loyalty it was not too hard a decision. Especially with 1.7% APR for 60 months. The interior of the SQ5 with the nappa leather is just so much nicer looking with the contrast stitch… the carbon atlas option is beautiful…

It drive great in S-mode! Super tight steering in Dynamic ADS! The sound is awesome! Vroom Vroom! In drive there is an odd lag to the accelerator. The brakes are strong but not as sensitive as the 2012. I guess I got used to the 2012 harsh breaking, so this is much gentler but has massive stopping power when you need it.

Vs the TDI… well the TDI felt a lot like my 3.2. It does not have the flat acceleration curve of the SQ5, but it is a sporty drive.

Pluses:
  • The engine is fast and responsive in S-mode. Great acceleration, wicked fun! Some odd delay in standard Drive mode when you hit the gas, but Sport mode is great.
  • The sound. I know it is from the soundakator (sp?) but it does sound cool as hell. Great start up sound and nice low rumble as it gets going.
  • Love the sports seats (SQ5 seats)! I am not tall (5'8") and I have short legs, but the normal Q5 seats were never comfortable. They always cut into my thighs, especially on long trips.. I can only imagine what it is like for a tall person (my girlfriend is 5'11" and she never complained). The seat extension on the sport seats allows you to customize the fit and it is a substantial improvement. In fact, it was one of the things I missed the most from my BMW 330ci was the leg extension on the sports seat. Also, they just look plain cooler with the side bolsters!
  • Nappa leather. Love it. As much as I understand the purpose of the Alcantara (sticky for sport driving), I never liked how it felt. My long sleeve shirts always caught and never felt comfortable. And let's be honest, the Nappa is amazingly nice -- comfortable and looks great with the silver contrast stitching. The door leather is really a nice upgrade from the traditional interior. The console leather is a bit of a plus/minus… the stitching is black, so honestly the normal console "hood" is plenty fine. Honestly nappa should be standard with Alacantara as an option.
  • B&O - it's not perfect but it is a big upgrade to the standard sound system which always sounded muddled to me. Wish the base was more robust, but for me at my age (37) it is plenty powerful. It sounds very clean with great clarity, just wish it had better eq control.
  • Rear seat head rests! I hated the my previous rear headrests. They were big and blocked the rear view. Plus, when you put the seats down (I surf and am pretty active) you had to make sure the rear seats were all the way back and the seats were forward. Now they are nice, tucked in and perfect!
  • ADS - makes the 2014s feel like the 2012 hydraulic steering when in Dynamic mode. A must if you like a sporty ride. I was so disappointed driving the non-S-line TDI -- it was sloppy. The engine was great, but the steering was ****.
  • Carbon atlas interior. Big fan. I had brushed aluminum previously and it scratched and dented. The first time my girlfriend got into the car she dented the aluminum on the center console with her purse… ugh.. Carbon atlas is super clean looking and compliments the interior.
  • 21" Wheels - look amazing and make it look like an SQ5. Surprisingly smooth ride compared to my previous 20". I live in southern california so no big need for all season tires. Yeah, I know tire options are going to be an issue.
  • Vs my 2012, like how they made the plastic around the MMI glossy

Minuses:
  • Color options. I can't believe you can't get it in Daytona Grey like the other S models without special ordering it at substantial additional cost. I went back and forth between phantom black and monsoon grey. Some times I wish I had the black as it just looks bad, but the monsoon is going to be less maintenance to keep it looking amazing.
  • Wish it was TDI instead - the MPG is terrible. Not sure why they didn't bring the euro version here.
  • Wish it had Air-leather on the steering wheel. It is just nicer and more comfortable.
  • Wish they had made the SQ5 a little more distinct than the rest of the Q5 line. They really should have put a different front bumper on there… more aggressive like the rest of the S models. Different side skirts as well.
  • Suspension -- it is the same ride height as my Q5. Audi of North America, shame on you.
  • Wish they made the diamond pattern leather seats and door inserts available as an option.
  • Not a huge fan of the silver side mirrors. They are basically a dull plastic silver color. I have seen other s models where they looks more like brushed aluminum which looks much nicer. They just look cheap on the SQ5.
  • Wish they did carpet on the lower door panels like the Porsche. The plastic lower door panels always show scuffs. This is the same across all the Q5s.

Unsure/to be determined:
[
  • B]Audi side assist [/B]- never had it before. Seems nice, but the it's a small SUV so it's not hard to see. Probably great on a Q7 which is big and burly.
  • Google maps on the 3G MMI - neat but not necessary. The speed limit is shown which is helpful. But other than that the standard Nav is plenty good. Probably
won't continue the subscription when it comes due in 6 months.

Photos coming...
Old 08-28-2013, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I thought it was also the "soundaktor", but people at the dealership claim that it has an actuator that opens up a baffle in the exhaust. Agree with almost everything on your "minuses" list
Old 08-28-2013, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Couple other things vs other cars I have owned:

The ride on the 21" wheels is much smoother than my previous 2001 Porsche Cayenne S on 20"s, especially in the back seat. The Cayenne is really rough in the back seat.

The leather does not smells as amazing as my old 2001 330ci BMW. I had the top of line leather on the BMW and even after 7 years it was so amazingly potent and soothing. Pure luxury. I have never seen or smelled the Milano leather from audi, so I can't comment on that.

Regarding the Monsoon color, the thing I so like about it is that the Monsoon grey matches the grey in the grill plate and the two tone color of the 21" wheels perfectly. It provides a nice clean look and makes the grill look a bit bigger optically than in black. But black always looks so bad ***.

I think BMW has better grey options right now, especially in the darker spectrum. Also, they seem more pearlescent. In fact if I was going to buy a sedan, I probably would get the BMW over the Audi. However, Audi is just killing it right now in the SUV category. I don't like the looks of the BMW SUVs. The only other car I would have bought than a Q would be the upcoming Macan by Porsche but knowing Porsche, it would be more expensive with the comparable options.

Also, love the SQ5 shift *** vs the normal bulky one. Very chic.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice write up! I'm debating whether to trade in my 2012 3.2 S-Line Q5 like you had for the SQ5. Uhhhh..decisions, decisions! The steering wheel on the SQ5 irks me the most. Air leather should be standard. Then again, the B8 S4 doesn't have it either...go figure...
Old 08-28-2013, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by koobah
I thought it was also the "soundaktor", but people at the dealership claim that it has an actuator that opens up a baffle in the exhaust. Agree with almost everything on your "minuses" list
I can't confirm the soundaktor, but the baffle is definitely there as you can see it in the tail pipes. Sometimes open - Sometimes closed.

I believe they're closed in "Dynamic" mode.... I'll have to double check that.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wrcardon
Photos coming...
Great review - I agree with most everything that you've said, especially about the air leather wheel and the suspension.

Looking forward to seeing more SQ5 pics.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have gone through the same TDI vs SQ5 debate. The only way id get the TDI is with the S-line and am also torn on the titanium rims. In the end I have just about convinced myself it will be easier to give the SQ5 the look of the TDI (blacked out) vs. trying to get the TDI to perform like an SQ, MPGs aside.

That being said, since you mentioned it more than once what kind of gas mileage have you seen?

The SQ5 was awesome… the gas milage of course sucks.

Minuses:
[*]Wish it was TDI instead - the MPG is terrible. Not sure why they didn't bring the euro version here.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by wrcardon
Couple other things vs other cars I have owned:

The ride on the 21" wheels is much smoother than my previous 2001 Porsche Cayenne S on 20"s, especially in the back seat. The Cayenne is really rough in the back seat.

The leather does not smells as amazing as my old 2001 330ci BMW. I had the top of line leather on the BMW and even after 7 years it was so amazingly potent and soothing. Pure luxury. I have never seen or smelled the Milano leather from audi, so I can't comment on that.

Regarding the Monsoon color, the thing I so like about it is that the Monsoon grey matches the grey in the grill plate and the two tone color of the 21" wheels perfectly. It provides a nice clean look and makes the grill look a bit bigger optically than in black. But black always looks so bad ***.

I think BMW has better grey options right now, especially in the darker spectrum. Also, they seem more pearlescent. In fact if I was going to buy a sedan, I probably would get the BMW over the Audi. However, Audi is just killing it right now in the SUV category. I don't like the looks of the BMW SUVs. The only other car I would have bought than a Q would be the upcoming Macan by Porsche but knowing Porsche, it would be more expensive with the comparable options.

Also, love the SQ5 shift *** vs the normal bulky one. Very chic.

So when I say I wish it was a TDI, I mean the Euro twin turbo version... no a US spec TDI. I don't know what the reasoning behind bringing a petrol version to the US was, but the twin Turbo euro spec 2013 SQ5 would be my preference.

Regarding MPG, I have only driven it locally in S-mode for the most part... I am getting 10 mpg average... but then again I just picked it up and and driving it "like I stole it"... lol! So it really isn't a fair assessment.

To be honest, it is an amazing fun car (SUV)... you really have to be careful with the speed as it is deceptively smooth. I have caught myself over the speed limit several times now not realizing how fast it accelerated. Very very smooth ride. The Cayenne S was more harsh and threw you back in the seat, this car is so smooth you don't realize what you just threw down.

Some other musings...

I always thought that the Audi window control felt cheap vs. BMWs. The BMW is more solid feeling. No difference between the 2012 and the 2014. They have this weird cheap "click" to them where the BMW was more "clunk."

Like the detail of the red ring around the Start/Stop button. Nice detail.

The upgrade the MMI from 2012 to 2014 is nice. Fewer buttons on the center console.

BTW, the best cologne to scent your car with... Tom Ford Extreme. Leather, Saffron... makes the car smell great and manly. ;-)
Old 08-28-2013, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

I keep forgetting other things I wanted to comment on.

2012 vs 2014
They changed the way the stick works. Now you just have to pull the stick back to drop it into S-mode. Very nice. I find myself using this a lot to control the RPM during the break in period.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Great review! I just bought literally your identical twin...same color and exact same options. Good luck!

Quick Reply: 2014 TFSI SQ5 vs 2012 3.2 S-line Q5 (mini review)