Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2015 Q5 Timing chain Fail

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2020, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 377 Likes on 341 Posts

Yep, that 06K-109-467-K TENSIONER is the upper tensioner and the "problem child" that everyone likes to talk about. The real issue and the reason that tensioner is so far out of the housing is because that timing chain on the cams it's tensioning is "stretched".

The other tensioner below it is a hydraulic piston type, much less prone to failure. Further I believe it can even be serviced outside of the timing case (those hydraulic piston type tensioners usually just screw in with access from outside of the engine).

Probably the only chain that was stretched was the one on the cams, that one should be replaced for sure no matter what. However when you're already in there it's not really any more expensive to do it all including the other timing chain on the balance shaft. The problem is if you need to get in there again a second time the expense of this job is getting in there, not really the parts themselves.

The other thing hopefully they looked at was your cam bridge. Mine had the screen ripped off so I trashed it and bought the new one ending in "K": 06H-103-144-K

Last edited by silver_tt; 09-29-2020 at 01:53 PM.
Old 09-29-2020, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is the itemized bill. $3000 for this to be done at the dealer.

Originally Posted by silver_tt
Yep, that 06K-109-467-K TENSIONER is the upper tensioner and the "problem child" that everyone likes to talk about. The real issue and the reason that tensioner is so far out of the housing is because that timing chain on the cams it's tensioning is "stretched".

The other tensioner below it is a hydraulic piston type, much less prone to failure. Further I believe it can even be serviced outside of the timing case (those hydraulic piston type tensioners usually just screw in with access from outside of the engine).

Probably the only chain that was stretched was the one on the cams, that one should be replaced for sure no matter what. However when you're already in there it's not really any more expensive to do it all including the other timing chain on the balance shaft. The problem is if you need to get in there again a second time the expensive of this job is getting in there, not really the parts themselves.

The other thing hopefully they looked at was your cam bridge. Mine had the screen ripped off so I trashed it and bought the new one ending in "K": 06H-103-144-K

Old 09-29-2020, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Ya $3,000 is about right if you go the dealer route. My typical rule of thumb is a dealer will charge twice what I can have a good indy do it for.

For reference, I paid $900 labor to my indy for this job. This is about a 9 hour job by the book. The parts were $750 (I did more parts than you) but I had to spend an extra $220 on a cam bridge because of the broken screen that is a known issue and is supposed to be fixed in the new version of the cam bridge per Audi.
Old 09-29-2020, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Actually I just looked at your invoice and you got a new cam bridge too -- it's the first part on the list. The screen must have been ripped off of yours too, I would put money on it. Goes with the territory but man your dealer has high parts prices.
The following users liked this post:
nicholaschase29 (09-29-2020)