Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2016 SQ5 Transmission jerking

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 SQ5 Transmission jerking

Hey guys,

So my SQ5 has been acting up as of the last month or so in regards to the transmission. Its got 63,xxxKM on it (not sure what that is in Miles) and just recently has been shifting weird under full throttle but only in 1st-2nd gear. It takes off fine, but as it shifts into second gear the truck jumps down from 6500 rpm to 4500 rpm and stays there for a bit which makes the car jerk back and fourth a few times before it shifts into second gear. It's as if it's hitting a lower rev limiter. I've tested this out in D, in S, Manual mode, with and without traction control on/off, and the truck just seems to always do this. All of this was tested with the vehicle warmed up so everything is up to operating temperature. I've tried to do a "reset" on the transmission with something I found online but holding down the gas pedal, turning the vehicle on (but not starting it) holding the pedal down for about 15 seconds, then turning the truck off, waiting a minute, the starting it back up and driving around carefully in the lower rpm range. I was thinking it was maybe a TCM issue as it seems to shift fine under 3/4 throttle, but not at full throttle. Whats the point of having a fast SUV if you cant drag some WRX *** every once and a while. Its the ZF transmission built by dodge, which is used in many other vehicles like BMW's and what not, so if it was a common issue I'm sure there's a fix to it, but I haven't read or seen anything else like it. I'm just really stumped as what it can be. Worst comes to worst I gotta bring it into the *gulps* dealer to examine. I do have the extended warranty (until 2021) so anything major is covered under warranty. Thanks in advance!
Old 01-07-2019, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 96 Likes on 56 Posts

It may just need to re-map its shift points...

Try driving it in normal or comfort mode for a while, then switch back to sport.

I've found driving in "sport" mode, but too gently for too long, turns it into comfort. When I switched to comfort for a week (in-laws visiting), then back to sport, the transmission's behavior was completely changed.

worth a try
Old 01-07-2019, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

For what it's worth I believe that the Q5/SQ5's tranny is actually made by ZF,Germany.The Dodge tranny is built under license and not used by Audi.I could be wrong ? Either way it definitely sounds like a "Tcm" issue but these suckers are so complex you never know.Time for a good scan and running log of the vehicle.
Old 01-08-2019, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by dassq5
It may just need to re-map its shift points...

Try driving it in normal or comfort mode for a while, then switch back to sport.

I've found driving in "sport" mode, but too gently for too long, turns it into comfort. When I switched to comfort for a week (in-laws visiting), then back to sport, the transmission's behavior was completely changed.

worth a try
Well I've been trying this for the past day and a bit, so I'll maybe test it out at the end of the week. If it's still doing it, then looks like it's a trip to the dealer. I'm convinced it's an electronic issue (TCM). If anything, maybe I'll post a video on Friday showing the issue.
Old 01-09-2019, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a similar thing happen to my Q. It would go up to 6000 and not shift until I let off it and then the rpm's would go down in increments. It would stick at each interval for a second or two. It wouldn't happen every time. I had to take it to the dealer 3 times before they fixed it. Each time they said they flashed the tranny. I asked them each time what exactly they did but they never gave me a straight answer. The third time I gave them the Q and told them to keep it until they knew it was fixed. 5 days later(they had given me a loaner) they called and said it was fixed. A new flash for the tranny was supposedly released by Audi but I'm not sure that was true. Anyway, a month later and it's working fine. No more weird issues. I can't find the service ticket now but as I recall, the service codes were the same each time.
Old 08-03-2021, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Any Update on what the problem was?

Originally Posted by SQ5lover
Hey guys,

So my SQ5 has been acting up as of the last month or so in regards to the transmission. Its got 63,xxxKM on it (not sure what that is in Miles) and just recently has been shifting weird under full throttle but only in 1st-2nd gear. It takes off fine, but as it shifts into second gear the truck jumps down from 6500 rpm to 4500 rpm and stays there for a bit which makes the car jerk back and fourth a few times before it shifts into second gear. It's as if it's hitting a lower rev limiter. I've tested this out in D, in S, Manual mode, with and without traction control on/off, and the truck just seems to always do this. All of this was tested with the vehicle warmed up so everything is up to operating temperature. I've tried to do a "reset" on the transmission with something I found online but holding down the gas pedal, turning the vehicle on (but not starting it) holding the pedal down for about 15 seconds, then turning the truck off, waiting a minute, the starting it back up and driving around carefully in the lower rpm range. I was thinking it was maybe a TCM issue as it seems to shift fine under 3/4 throttle, but not at full throttle. Whats the point of having a fast SUV if you cant drag some WRX *** every once and a while. Its the ZF transmission built by dodge, which is used in many other vehicles like BMW's and what not, so if it was a common issue I'm sure there's a fix to it, but I haven't read or seen anything else like it. I'm just really stumped as what it can be. Worst comes to worst I gotta bring it into the *gulps* dealer to examine. I do have the extended warranty (until 2021) so anything major is covered under warranty. Thanks in advance!
Just wondering if you got anywhere with this issue? was it resolved?
Old 08-04-2021, 12:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I just want to mention, that shifting points are not hard coded somewhere, transmission is not a standalone unit, but is closely tied electronically to the engine and acts to suit what engine delivers. If the engine is underperforming, backing off, transmission will act accordingly.
Just a simple example, if you have fueling problems, engine will reduce the power, torque, which ever way it things suitable to protect the engine, transmission will also downshift or hold longer in lower gears.