Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2017 Audi Q5

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 Audi Q5

Hi Everyone,

I've been lurking on these forums for the past few months. I just about bought a brand new 2016 Audi Q5. With Audi's recent announcement of the new redesigned Q5's coming out later this year, I have put this off on hold for now.

My question is a hypothetical one. If the new Mexico plant were to start building it by the 2nd half of this year. Would it be likely that the North American market would see the 2017 Q5 come out before the end of calendar year 2016. Also theoretically if it is planned for lets say fall 2016, how soon prior would it be likely for the dealerships to receive packaging options, etc... to place an order while it's being built?

Any info or speculation at this point is greatly appreciated!

Thank you
Old 01-03-2016, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 229 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by vancouver85
Hi Everyone,

I've been lurking on these forums for the past few months. I just about bought a brand new 2016 Audi Q5. With Audi's recent announcement of the new redesigned Q5's coming out later this year, I have put this off on hold for now.

My question is a hypothetical one. If the new Mexico plant were to start building it by the 2nd half of this year. Would it be likely that the North American market would see the 2017 Q5 come out before the end of calendar year 2016. Also theoretically if it is planned for lets say fall 2016, how soon prior would it be likely for the dealerships to receive packaging options, etc... to place an order while it's being built?

Any info or speculation at this point is greatly appreciated!

Thank you
Pricing/option sheets usually come out in April/May 2016 for the new 2017, new model year release delivery normally starts June/July. This new plant change may affect all those dates.

I respect you decision to buy a 2017, but this is going to be completely different Q5 than the 2016 and prior years. Many of the parts are not going to be from the proven suppliers (European) of the past, Audi has sourced a lot of new North American parts suppliers that really don't have a known track record. Plus the VAG group recently asked all suppliers to greatly reduce their costs (I read that as reduced quality).

In 1993 VW built a plant in Mexico to build Golf/Jetta cars. It was such a quality disaster in early 1993 that they shut the plant down for the rest of the year. The next year 1994 I bought a Mexico built Golf and it was flawless for the 3 years I owned it.

Last edited by Bob Petruska; 01-03-2016 at 10:03 AM.
Old 01-03-2016, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

I will admit that I have been hesitant with purchasing a brand new Audi Q5 that is going to be a redesigned model at a brand new plant. My hope would be that they would learn from VW past mistakes and come out of the gate strong. You have provided a valid point.

I do quite like the current Audi Q5. But find it a little bit outdated, more so in the interior. My hope would be the new model will be very similar to the current Q5 in ride quality. It will obviously have a more up to date interior. Little things like lack of a USB port(s), the inside of the centre console looks like it has spots for CDs and could better utilize. All very minor things... It has been a pretty big decision whether opting for the current 2016 (the last Q5 model being built in Germany most likely for the NA market) vs buying a new redesigned one with more technology improvements but from an unproven manufacturing plant. I generally am the type that would have buyer's remorse if there are significant improvements and I hadn't been patient.

I currently drive a 2010 Infiniti G37x coupe, but am wanting something with a lot more space which led me to my SUV hunt. I previously had owned a 2006 V6 Toyota RAV4 and loved the space and ride of that model. I'm not in a huge rush to buy, but ideally by the end of 2016.
Old 01-03-2016, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

Nice to read two well considered and presented points of view on a matter that certainly bears consideration given the potential for downside.I know that Mexican assembly of many types of industrial products has come a long way even surpassing CA/USA for many goods.All that said I'd say you'd have to have a bit of a gambling streak in ya to jump into the first year's product.I'm old enough to clearly recall the fiasco of Vw Westmoreland Pa.And had the pleasure of working on a few 1&2 year old Mercedes ML's made in Alabama (I think ).Not talking minor deficiencies either.Anyway good luck with your decision.No outcome from this plant is absolutely going to be bad,assembly technology has come a long way.
Old 01-03-2016, 02:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ Buying the first year's product... from Mexico???

No. And the bonus is saving a bucket of money when buying a used one.

Last edited by Deckardk; 01-03-2016 at 03:00 PM.
Old 01-03-2016, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
I respect you decision to buy a 2017, but this is going to be completely different Q5 than the 2016 and prior years. Many of the parts are not going to be from the proven suppliers (European) of the past, Audi has sourced a lot of new North American parts suppliers that really don't have a known track record. Plus the VAG group recently asked all suppliers to greatly reduce their costs (I read that as reduced quality).

In 1993 VW built a plant in Mexico to build Golf/Jetta cars. It was such a quality disaster in early 1993 that they shut the plant down for the rest of the year. The next year 1994 I bought a Mexico built Golf and it was flawless for the 3 years I owned it.

I won't be in the market for a Q5 until about 2-3 years, and always buy new. I like to keep my cars until they die, so I really hope they get things right quickly. I'm sure they have studied from past mistakes and know what to do.

The fit and finish of a Q5 is something I'm very interested in.

Reliability is something very important to me -so I hope Audi continues improvement in this area. I would be using a private German mechanic after the warranty expires.
Old 01-03-2016, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

There should be no questions. The Q5 will be an 8/10ths scale of the Q7 that is just coming out, just like the current Q5 is a mini-me of the outgoing Q7. Just look at the new Q7. If you like it you'll like the new Q5. I would bet that it will hit dealers 12 months or so after the new Q7.
Old 01-05-2016, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328
I won't be in the market for a Q5 until about 2-3 years, and always buy new. I like to keep my cars until they die, so I really hope they get things right quickly. I'm sure they have studied from past mistakes and know what to do.

The fit and finish of a Q5 is something I'm very interested in.

Reliability is something very important to me -so I hope Audi continues improvement in this area. I would be using a private German mechanic after the warranty expires.
We purchased our 2011 2.0T Q5 new. Although we did suffer from the oil consumption issue it was fully covered under warranty and no longer has an issue. After 5+ years of ownership and 92k miles our Q5 has had no issues and is 100% reliable. We have been very happy with it.
Old 01-05-2016, 10:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Pretty sure the new Q5 generation is going to be a 2018 not 2017:

2018 Audi Q5 Spy Shots
Old 01-05-2016, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

There is something cool and satisfying about telling people my car came over on a ship from Germany and then showing the picture of it all wrapped and being unloaded.

Saying "my car is from Mexico" will be enough to prevent me from getting a 3rd Q5...

Quick Reply: 2017 Audi Q5