Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2017 Q5 Engine Failure

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 Q5 Engine Failure

I bought a Audi Q5 2.0 two months back. There was some sound from Engine with in 2 weeks, I took to service and they said it is Normal and again 2 months (less than 3K miles on it) later last week the engine noise became worse and left it for service now they say some cam shaft issue or something and that caused some deposits to engine and now engine has to be replaced. Engine is now being shipped from Germany, I am very dis appointed and asking Audi USA to take the vehicle back and return the money I paid, With the vehicle being so new what are my options now? Appreciate any inputs on this.

Thanks,
Old 11-28-2016, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I understand why you are upset but, if I were you, I won't fret over it too much because the car is still covered by a bumper-to-bumper warranty. The best thing is that Audi stepped up to the plate and they will replace the bad engine with a new unit straight from Germany. The newer 2.0L TFSI engines are quite reliable. What happened to your Q5's engine, I can say being a regular visitor in several Audi forums, is an isolated and one-off incident. This type of engine just does not die in this manner. Definitely not known for that. There are lots of satisfied Q5 2.0L owners in this forum. You just don't hear from them because they rarely post anything if their car is OK. Most people sign up on these forums to complain and whine. Rarely do they sign up and say they are happy with their car and their car is in fine shape after xxx years of ownership.

I hope this puts your fears at rest. As long as you have Audi warranty, there should be nothing to fear. If you plan to own this car beyond the factory warranty, I suggest that you consider buying extended warranty from Audi.
Old 11-28-2016, 02:41 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for your reply, Mostly it is people who have issues come here to the forum, I am disappointed since it is a new Car with Engine Failure and Replacing is definitely going to reduce the resale cost..! and there was some noise since I purchased which made me believe it had a defect from the beginning. I am trying to see what other options I have.
Old 11-29-2016, 03:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by lkathir
Thanks for your reply, Mostly it is people who have issues come here to the forum, I am disappointed since it is a new Car with Engine Failure and Replacing is definitely going to reduce the resale cost..! and there was some noise since I purchased which made me believe it had a defect from the beginning. I am trying to see what other options I
have.

I would feel the same way....

Keep us updated on what They do for you.
Old 11-29-2016, 04:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 388 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by lkathir
I am trying to see what other options I have.

You would hire an attorney who would seek a replacement vehicle for you.

I can't see AoA giving you a replacement car since they are fully honoring the written warranty as required by law. I can't imagine there are any provisions for "diminished value" written into the warranty.
Old 11-29-2016, 04:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 213 Likes on 174 Posts

The car will be repaired with a new engine and you should be driving a nice loaner until that is done. Start by talking with the dealer (Sales person, manager and owner) about what you want. If you are not happy there then go to AoA. They may extend the warranty, give you a nice credit toward your next Audi or something else. Audi is pretty good about standing behind their stuff. Personally I would only go to an attorney as a last resort. If this was a GM, Mazda or Hyundai this would be all your fault and they will fight to the death to do nothing on their dime while the car is in warranty
Old 11-29-2016, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by rhite95
I would feel the same way....

Keep us updated on what They do for you.
Sure I will update on what they come back.
Old 11-29-2016, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks, I believe the car had a defective engine from the start, Let me see what they come back and see what my options are.
Old 11-29-2016, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

I would request free Audicare/extended warranty -- or at least a discount on it. In an effort to alleviate your very valid concern, the 2014 Q5 2.0 I just turned in was the most trouble-free car I've ever owned. It was such a great car and I enjoyed driving it so much that I turned it in for an SQ5. Hope your dealer helps you out. Don't be shy about contacting AoA, too, if the dealer doesn't have the answer you want. Best of luck.
Old 11-29-2016, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by rdA4WtQ5
The car will be repaired with a new engine and you should be driving a nice loaner until that is done. Start by talking with the dealer (Sales person, manager and owner) about what you want. If you are not happy there then go to AoA. They may extend the warranty, give you a nice credit toward your next Audi or something else. Audi is pretty good about standing behind their stuff. Personally I would only go to an attorney as a last resort. If this was a GM, Mazda or Hyundai this would be all your fault and they will fight to the death to do nothing on their dime while the car is in warranty
Thanks!