Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

3.0T A6 vs 3.0T Q5, Any thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 09:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.0T A6 vs 3.0T Q5, Any thoughts?

I noticed Q5's 3.0T achieves peak torque and horsepower in slightly lower RPM when compared to the A6 3.0T per Audi USA site.

I understand it's the exact same engine, and it is slightly detuned in the Q5 so the product does not overlap each other.

However, does anyone think it's essentially the exact same output it's just Audi's marketing trying to separate the two on paper only?
I suspect.

I also understand detuning is just a slightly modify computer program that's all. I wonder if there were some benefits when they decided to detune the Q5 3.0T, whether for MPG or something else.

I know it's a fast car still but just chips away at me thinking I could have the A6's fastness.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Just chip it and you'll have what you want.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, part of it may be to separate products. But with an SUV you want power lower in the range, especially if you are to drive it in rougher situations like snow.

But even the A6's 3.0T is slightly detuned from the one in the S4.

If you want to power it up Parsec is right chipping it is probably your best option.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 358 Likes on 210 Posts

Audi has several engines 3.0 TFSI with different power:
- 3.0TFSI 200kW (272 HP)
- 3.0TFSI 213kW (290 HP)
- 3.0TFSI 228kW (310 HP)
- 3.0TFSI 245kW (333 HP)
- 3.0TFSI 260kW (354 HP)

Example
Company has the ABT chip tuning:
3.0 TFSI 228 kW (310 HP), 440 Nm to approx. 301 kW (410 HP), 540 Nm
or
3.0 TFSI 245 kW (333 HP), 440 Nm to approx. 320 kW (435 HP), 520 Nm

Last edited by spijun; 03-11-2013 at 01:12 AM.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Joejoe
I noticed Q5's 3.0T achieves peak torque and horsepower in slightly lower RPM when compared to the A6 3.0T per Audi USA site.

I understand it's the exact same engine, and it is slightly detuned in the Q5 so the product does not overlap each other.

However, does anyone think it's essentially the exact same output it's just Audi's marketing trying to separate the two on paper only?
I suspect.

I also understand detuning is just a slightly modify computer program that's all. I wonder if there were some benefits when they decided to detune the Q5 3.0T, whether for MPG or something else.

I know it's a fast car still but just chips away at me thinking I could have the A6's fastness.
I think you're overlooking some very important points. It might be the same basic block, head, and supercharger. But there are important differences to the intake, and especially the exhaust. It's not like they simply cross-fit the entire system from the A6 to the Q5. So, forgetting anything about the ECU program, the exhaust system on an A6 is going to be a little more free-flowing, which will directly result in higher HP, and lower TQ. The Q is going to have a little more back pressure, which will keep HP numbers back, but will bring up higher peak TQ, lower in the rev range.

You can see an interesting journey over the years, with Nissan's famous VQ motor. It's roughly the same block (3.7 as opposed to 3.5) as it has been for decades. But in the Infiniti G cars, it has steadily climbed in HP. Only about six-years ago, they were getting about 250hp at the crank. However, it's now pushing at least a solid 330. That's a HUGE jump. However, consequently, the torque has suffered (quite a bit, IMHO). It's lower peak than ever, and it comes quite high in the rev range. So, the modern G cars really need to be wrung out, to get the best.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by dougnash
I think you're overlooking some very important points. It might be the same basic block, head, and supercharger. But there are important differences to the intake, and especially the exhaust. It's not like they simply cross-fit the entire system from the A6 to the Q5. So, forgetting anything about the ECU program, the exhaust system on an A6 is going to be a little more free-flowing, which will directly result in higher HP, and lower TQ. The Q is going to have a little more back pressure, which will keep HP numbers back, but will bring up higher peak TQ, lower in the rev range.

You can see an interesting journey over the years, with Nissan's famous VQ motor. It's roughly the same block (3.7 as opposed to 3.5) as it has been for decades. But in the Infiniti G cars, it has steadily climbed in HP. Only about six-years ago, they were getting about 250hp at the crank. However, it's now pushing at least a solid 330. That's a HUGE jump. However, consequently, the torque has suffered (quite a bit, IMHO). It's lower peak than ever, and it comes quite high in the rev range. So, the modern G cars really need to be wrung out, to get the best.
There's a big difference between the VQ and 3.0T, and that's the supercharger. The difference between a NA 250 hp V6 and the same "version" at 330 hp is huge, but not so much for FI where it doesn't take much more to up the numbers than by cranking up the boost. I'm of the firm opinion that the only difference between the 3.0T in my former S4 and now in the Q5 is the firmware. With the 3.0T, it's only an 80 hp spread between the most and least powerful iteration. It doesn't make sense for Audi to have different parts for the same engine when tuning can be used as the differentiator. Granted there could be some small differences in intake and exhaust, but those would only account for a few ponies.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Having owned a 2003 G35 I can tell you lots about this engine. The VQ35DE was used across most of Nissans lineup, including the Pathfinder which had a torquier tune and less power. The VQ35DE which put out 260 horsepower in the G35 & Maxima, 245 in the Altima (I think, 255 Altima SE-R), it also did 280 in the G35 coupe and 285 in the 350Z. Before they increased displacement, stock form, the VQ35DE HR with dual intakes used in second gen G35's and late model Z33 350Z's had 300-305 horsepower. Not a very smooth engine at all, Audi's 3.2 is MUCH smoother and linear. The VQ was very rough, lots of torque and not very smooth.

idk what we're getting at though. Any N/A needs to be wrung out to get the most of it.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Coolieman1220
Having owned a 2003 G35 I can tell you lots about this engine. The VQ35DE was used across most of Nissans lineup, including the Pathfinder which had a torquier tune and less power. The VQ35DE which put out 260 horsepower in the G35 & Maxima, 245 in the Altima (I think, 255 Altima SE-R), it also did 280 in the G35 coupe and 285 in the 350Z. Before they increased displacement, stock form, the VQ35DE HR with dual intakes used in second gen G35's and late model Z33 350Z's had 300-305 horsepower. Not a very smooth engine at all, Audi's 3.2 is MUCH smoother and linear. The VQ was very rough, lots of torque and not very smooth.

idk what we're getting at though. Any N/A needs to be wrung out to get the most of it.
They've finally smoothed things out in our '09 G37. It still has too little torque, and too high in the rev range, but the motor is much more smooth than the G35 we had. And that extra HP up top is quite exciting, especially when you drive around in manual mode with the paddle shifters. But the lump of low torque in the Audi is the winner. It reminds me of my old STi, because it comes in so low, and the AWD just claws off the line. NA & AWD is the best when it comes to a car driven mostly in the city.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They've finally smoothed things out in our '09 G37. It still has too little torque, and too high in the rev range, but the motor is much more smooth than the G35 we had. And that extra HP up top is quite exciting, especially when you drive around in manual mode with the paddle shifters. But the lump of low torque in the Audi is the winner. It reminds me of my old STi, because it comes in so low, and the AWD just claws off the line. NA & AWD is the best when it comes to a car driven mostly in the city.
I've driven the newer G37's as loaners when I had mine in for service or anything of that nature. They have gotten a lot smoother. I actually enjoyed the 35's rawness. When those valves retimed a 4k-4.5k rpm, you knew it, you felt it. All that torque from 3k-4.5k.
Those motors pull hard and are great uptop so much initial tip in and great throttle response.

You are right about the Audi, that 3.2 despite having less torque, it was so much more accessible throughout the power band.