Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

3.0T oil change tips

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 03:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by NABS4
I'm a proponent of early oil changes for new vehicles, so at 4k km I decided to change the oil in my 3.0.

As with the other engines, the front under-body panel needs to be removed (9 x T25 screws along the front, 3 x Philips head screws on each side just forward on the front tire, 3 x Philips head screws (1/2 turn to loosen and they stay with the panel) at the back of the panel - take these 3 out last). Once the fasteners are removed, slide the panel towards the rear and it's out.

The drain plug is a T40, and it has an integral washer (no need to be replaced).

Unlike the 2.0T, there is no need to remove the engine cover to access the oil filter. The top of the canister can be removed with a 36 mm socket.

Since the drain plug is on the bottom of the oil pan, there is no way not to get your hands dirty. Wear latex/rubber gloves.

Some people change the oil without lifting the car, but I can't see that being very easy, so I recommend ramps or a slight lift.
It seems there is in fact a removable crush washer on the drain plug. I changed oil again today after another road trip, West Coast this time. The washer had previously been stuck to the pan with the gloss black paint they used so it looked like part of it. Today, the paint let go and the washer came off with the plug. It was positioned with the split facing down towards the head of the plug and the smooth side up against the pan. I had a few new washers that came with the filters so I installed a new one. I guess using the old one a couple of times didn't hurt, it never leaked. Here it is.
Attached Images     
Old 09-15-2013, 03:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Guys - I purchase one of those Oil Extractors - worked great pulling the oil up through the dipstick tube of my A4.. Will be using the unit it in a few months on the Q5. With the filters on the top and this little gem to suck the oil I can literally be completed in 15 minutes with no spills, ramps, scraped knuckles, stripped drain plugs, dirty driveway ......
Old 09-15-2013, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by HZ60
Great, thanks! The MMI is very accurate when compared with the dipstick. I'm still working through some old school electronics trust issues though so I'll be getting another dipstick as soon as I find the right part number. I had 0 oil consumption with my 3.2l after 22k miles and don't expect any with the 3.0T
Thanks Again,
Early Q5s had problems reading the oil level with the MMI and some were very wrong
Old 04-10-2014, 10:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just done it myself today, remember drain plug torque is 22 ft/lbs. I also customized a tiny flap door on plastic cover for future easy access.
Old 04-09-2015, 08:25 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default i appreciate this post

I'm a proponent of early oil changes for new vehicles, so at 4k km I decided to change the oil in my 3.0.

As with the other engines, the front under-body panel needs to be removed (9 x T25 screws along the front, 3 x Philips head screws on each side just forward on the front tire, 3 x Philips head screws (1/2 turn to loosen and they stay with the panel) at the back of the panel - take these 3 out last). Once the fasteners are removed, slide the panel towards the rear and it's out.

The drain plug is a T40, and it has an integral washer (no need to be replaced).

Unlike the 2.0T, there is no need to remove the engine cover to access the oil filter. The top of the canister can be removed with a 36 mm socket.

Since the drain plug is on the bottom of the oil pan, there is no way not to get your hands dirty. Wear latex/rubber gloves.

Some people change the oil without lifting the car, but I can't see that being very easy, so I recommend ramps or a slight lift.
I recently purchased a low mileage a6 and coming from the American vehicle market it is a learning curve. Nonetheless, this post helped considerably. I hear all this talk of oil removal from pumping out and personally I have heartburn with this (feedback encouraged on this point). My concern lies in the specs for torquing etc. I removed the front belly pan to expose what was believed to be the oil pan (sensor on bottom) but upon attempt to loosen the plug there was much resistance. 1). Wanted to ensure I was on the right locate 2) that the plug and filter (36mm) do not require a torque spec. May seem like a odd question, but just want to be right the first time, too old to learn from mistakes. Any thoughts would help considerably. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-09-2015, 08:31 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Pauly001
Guys - I purchase one of those Oil Extractors - worked great pulling the oil up through the dipstick tube of my A4.. Will be using the unit it in a few months on the Q5. With the filters on the top and this little gem to suck the oil I can literally be completed in 15 minutes with no spills, ramps, scraped knuckles, stripped drain plugs, dirty driveway ......
How much does the pump run? What are your thoughts on anything that may have ran out of the low point opposed to pumping and potentially leaving debri within. Just curious.
Old 04-10-2015, 03:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AMW 734
I recently purchased a low mileage a6 and coming from the American vehicle market it is a learning curve. Nonetheless, this post helped considerably. I hear all this talk of oil removal from pumping out and personally I have heartburn with this (feedback encouraged on this point). My concern lies in the specs for torquing etc. I removed the front belly pan to expose what was believed to be the oil pan (sensor on bottom) but upon attempt to loosen the plug there was much resistance. 1). Wanted to ensure I was on the right locate 2) that the plug and filter (36mm) do not require a torque spec. May seem like a odd question, but just want to be right the first time, too old to learn from mistakes. Any thoughts would help considerably. Thanks in advance.
There are torque specs for the drain plug and filter housing cover. Also, there is a check valve assembly in the bottom of the filter housing that prevents the oil from draining out of the canister. If you loosen the filter cap all the way while the oil is draining, the check valve releases and the canister will drain. I leave the old filter in place while the oil drains so there is very little mess when I remove it. I change the crush washer on the drain plug each time and install a new plug every 3-4 changes. Here's a pic of the pan and plug and a torque chart. Have Fun!

Engine Lubrication
Fastener Tightening Specifications
Component Nm
Cover for oil filter housing 25
Cover with oil separator 9
Crankcase ventilation hose 3
Engine oil cooler 9
Lower oil baffle 9
Oil check valve 20
Oil drain plug 30
Oil filter housing bolts 2) 9
Oil filter housing stud bolt 16
Oil filter housing union nut 13
Oil level thermal sensor nut 9
Oil pressure switch 20
Oil pump 20
Oil pump chain sprocket (replace fastener) 30 plus an
additional 90°
(¼ turn)
Oil pump chain sprocket bracket 9
Reduced oil pressure switch 20
Upper oil baffle 1) 9
Old 04-10-2015, 04:12 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Since the drain plug is on the bottom of the oil pan, there is no way not to get your hands dirty.
Sure there is. It's called an oil extractor.
Old 04-10-2015, 04:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by hollowplayer
just done it myself today, remember drain plug torque is 22 ft/lbs. I also customized a tiny flap door on plastic cover for future easy access.
Do you have any pics of your "trap door" mod?
Old 04-11-2015, 04:03 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Exactly what I needed

Originally Posted by HZ60
There are torque specs for the drain plug and filter housing cover. Also, there is a check valve assembly in the bottom of the filter housing that prevents the oil from draining out of the canister. If you loosen the filter cap all the way while the oil is draining, the check valve releases and the canister will drain. I leave the old filter in place while the oil drains so there is very little mess when I remove it. I change the crush washer on the drain plug each time and install a new plug every 3-4 changes. Here's a pic of the pan and plug and a torque chart. Have Fun!

Engine Lubrication
Fastener Tightening Specifications
Component Nm
Cover for oil filter housing 25
Cover with oil separator 9
Crankcase ventilation hose 3
Engine oil cooler 9
Lower oil baffle 9
Oil check valve 20
Oil drain plug 30
Oil filter housing bolts 2) 9
Oil filter housing stud bolt 16