Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

3.2 V6 owners: whine/whistle around 2-3k RPM?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 04:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 3.2 V6 owners: whine/whistle around 2-3k RPM?

My 3.2 Q5 makes a howling/whining/whistling noise between about 1500-3000 RPM. It seems to be dependent only on the RPM, as I hear it both at city and highway speeds. I can hear the noise change in pitch up and down if I slow or speed up.

My dealer says they looked into it, and other Q5s make the same noise and it's normal. I may test drive another 3.2 Q5 to verify myself, but what a hassle.

Does anyone else hear what I am talking about? Easiest way to hear it is if you drive in S, since it typically keeps you in that range. Input/experience from other drivers is appreciated, to see if I pursue further or try to live with it.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gronk
My 3.2 Q5 makes a howling/whining/whistling noise between about 1500-3000 RPM. It seems to be dependent only on the RPM, as I hear it both at city and highway speeds. I can hear the noise change in pitch up and down if I slow or speed up.

My dealer says they looked into it, and other Q5s make the same noise and it's normal. I may test drive another 3.2 Q5 to verify myself, but what a hassle.

Does anyone else hear what I am talking about? Easiest way to hear it is if you drive in S, since it typically keeps you in that range. Input/experience from other drivers is appreciated, to see if I pursue further or try to live with it.
Sounds like the noise you hear is in the transmission. They do make sounds/noises depending on what speed they're running at. Usually, when it comes to noises or sounds, compare it to another vehicle or two. If they all have the same characteristics, then it's most likely normal.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had more of a drone/humming noise in the 2,200 RPM range on my last Q5. At the time some others reported the same noise then it got progressively worse. I remember the eventual fix for some people was replacing the rear differential.

here is a previous thread:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...+humming+noise

Last edited by eppoh7; 01-19-2012 at 09:52 AM.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by eppoh7
I had more of a drone/humming noise in the 2,200 RPM range on my last Q5. At the time some others reported the same noise then it got progressively worse. I remember the eventual fix for some people was replacing the rear differential.

here is a previous thread:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...+humming+noise
I experience the same exact drone/humming noise somewhere between 2,000 - 3,000 RPM during highway speeds. I wasn't sure if that was normal or not at first but it seems like it is. Maybe I'm just overly sensitive
Old 01-22-2012, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Out of curiosity, what year is it and how many miles do you have? No such noise on mine that I've noticed, but I only have about 800 miles on a 2012. I'd take it in and have them document the noise in case it's something that continues to get worse. Take another for a test ride also. Sweet that you have a 2012 A6 too!!
Old 01-25-2012, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Mrchntmarine
Out of curiosity, what year is it and how many miles do you have? No such noise on mine that I've noticed, but I only have about 800 miles on a 2012. I'd take it in and have them document the noise in case it's something that continues to get worse. Take another for a test ride also. Sweet that you have a 2012 A6 too!!
I have about 18k miles on it, 2010 model.

I guess I will have to test-drive another to see. It's not the regular engine/drivetrain noise that bothers me at all, but the whistling.

And I love the new A6, it's a sweet ride (with no whistle!)
Old 03-05-2013, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have about 18k miles on it, 2010 model.

I guess I will have to test-drive another to see. It's not the regular engine/drivetrain noise that bothers me at all, but the whistling.

And I love the new A6, it's a sweet ride (with no whistle!)
I've been ignoring the whistle/whine by keeping the stereo on all the time, but I finally got around to capturing it. It's much louder than the recording, but the best my phone can do.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tvwnj4ff75...histling.m4a?m

It's related to the engine RPM, not the speed.

It's been this way since it was new. Anyone else with the 3.2 having this sound?
Old 12-17-2013, 05:11 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I've got a 2011 SQ5 with 30k miles and I noticed that same whine just recently. I typically have the radio on as well, so I'm not sure if it's new or if I never noticed it before. It does change tone/decibel based on whether I'm speeding up or slowing down...

I've scheduled a service appt in a couple of weeks, so we'll see what they say..

I've been ignoring the whistle/whine by keeping the stereo on all the time, but I finally got around to capturing it. It's much louder than the recording, but the best my phone can do.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tvwnj4ff75...histling.m4a?m

It's related to the engine RPM, not the speed.

It's been this way since it was new. Anyone else with the 3.2 having this sound?
Old 12-17-2013, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

chances it may be a bad wheel bearing