Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

3.5mm Aux input on 2012 Q5 prem +

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 06:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.5mm Aux input on 2012 Q5 prem +

Sounds like this discussion has been rehashed a lot but from what I read on previous threads not really answered. First off I understand you can't stream bluetooth music from a BT device. Really weak (IMHo) and I haven't heard about a SIMPLE solution for that. If anyone knows of one please respond.
Since I haven't heard of one I figured I could get around this with a simple option that is in common in todays cars.. a 3.5mm Aux input to plug in your phone, ipod whatever.. I look on the site and I call service and
I don't think its provided in the vehicle.. Is this for real.? i know they have the ipod connector but no 3.5 mm ?? really?
Old 07-18-2011, 07:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I had a similar thread to understand whats possible on the MMI/AMI on the 2012

Here is the link: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...2809066&page=2

Basically, your right A2DP (BT Music) is not possible on this version of the MMI (3G)

There is a Box that Audi sells to add this functionality that connects to the iPod Cable (AMI) but unfortunately it does not work on this version of the MMI either

There are a couple of threads in here and elsewhere that mention some mods to use a USB BT adapter, but not an easy task apparently

Regarding the 3.5 Aux port, you do have this option with another cable that connects to the AMI, it does not come with the car (the one included is for the iPod) but you can order it
Old 07-18-2011, 08:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the reply. At least you told me there is a cble you can buy for aux in 3.5 mm.. that is more than I learned from the service guy, my sales person and another salesperson.. good lord..
Old 07-18-2011, 08:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 358 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by JcMarin
I had a similar thread to understand whats possible on the MMI/AMI on the 2012

Here is the link: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...2809066&page=2

Basically, your right A2DP (BT Music) is not possible on this version of the MMI (3G)

There is a Box that Audi sells to add this functionality that connects to the iPod Cable (AMI) but unfortunately it does not work on this version of the MMI either

There are a couple of threads in here and elsewhere that mention some mods to use a USB BT adapter, but not an easy task apparently

Regarding the 3.5 Aux port, you do have this option with another cable that connects to the AMI, it does not come with the car (the one included is for the iPod) but you can order it

I bought the BT adapter and listen to music via the same
There is a model Audi Bluetooth

http://www.iamaudi.com/audi-music-in...tooth-adapter/

Last edited by spijun; 07-18-2011 at 09:08 PM.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by spijun
It is not true that it is impossible to BT
There is a model Audi Bluetooth

http://www.iamaudi.com/audi-music-in...tooth-adapter/
That BT box has been confirmed not to work on the 3G MMI/AMI

http://www.iamaudi.com/audi-3g-mmi-i...tooth-adapter/

You can find the post on the same website
Old 07-18-2011, 09:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

yes thanks.. i did read that earlier as well..i think if i can order an aux 3.5 cable i will use that if I want to stream music from my phone in anyway on long trips as an option. I would imagine if I have the blue tooth function on it would still be able to be answered and controlled via the steering wheel.. not sure how my phone would be powered though ;-) .. maybe use the usb cable for that (have to buy one for non i phone)
wonder if they make you jump through hoops because they want us to buy their cables?? or sirius doesnt want us to stream??
Old 07-19-2011, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

I bitched about the IPOD only cable to Audi. After some chats with them they agreed to send me an Aux cable. But mind you, it has started to fall apart...

Why would Audi think bundling the IPOD cable is a smart move? They should have either taken it off the car or offered an option for the buyer to choose. I had an iphone, but not everyone uses one. I have an android phone now and the Aux input is the only way to make it work.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

The thing that sucks about the AUX cable is with it being in the glovebox there is no way to easily adjust/ change songs on your device as the driver. Eventually I guess I will have to run an extension from the glovebox to the center console so I can control it.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Q5Dawg
The thing that sucks about the AUX cable is with it being in the glovebox there is no way to easily adjust/ change songs on your device as the driver. Eventually I guess I will have to run an extension from the glovebox to the center console so I can control it.
You can select songs via the MMI or the heads up display and left steering wheel control. Either lets you select whatever is on your iPOD, including folders. Podcasts, etc. The forward >> and back << buttons on the console allow you to either move the the next/previous track with a single track or go fast forward or rewind if you hold either down. You can also do this through the MMI in the Media mode.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Stillgoing
You can select songs via the MMI or the heads up display and left steering wheel control. Either lets you select whatever is on your iPOD, including folders. Podcasts, etc. The forward >> and back << buttons on the console allow you to either move the the next/previous track with a single track or go fast forward or rewind if you hold either down. You can also do this through the MMI in the Media mode.
I was speaking of when using the 3.5mm cable, not iPod.

Quick Reply: 3.5mm Aux input on 2012 Q5 prem +