Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

45,000 miles on meteor grey and i decided to clay and wax...what you think?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 09:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 45,000 miles on meteor grey and i decided to clay and wax...what you think?

Car is parked every night indoors but in the daytime it is sitting out in the elements. This took 3 hours of myself. If you have a buddy helping you out it will take half the time. I used a meguair's kit from amazon below. Make sure your car is cool to the touch and in the shade or garage w/good lighting.

Amazon Amazon

Here is what i did.
1.) Clean Wheels with wheel cleaner (did not come with kit.)
2.) Wash the car with car soap
3.) Dry the car off
4.) Clay the car with the magic unicorn detailer spray.
5.) Don't worry about the streaks left over from the clay and spray.
6.) Rub wax with microfiber towel...wait for wax to glaze over. After the wait buff out the wax.
7.) now spray the car with magic unicorn quick detailer spray with microfiber towel for a quick wipe down.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by gregshin
Car is parked every night indoors but in the daytime it is sitting out in the elements. This took 3 hours of myself. If you have a buddy helping you out it will take half the time. I used a meguair's kit from amazon below. Make sure your car is cool to the touch and in the shade or garage w/good lighting.

http://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-Compl...9434027&sr=8-1

Here is what i did.
1.) Clean Wheels with wheel cleaner (did not come with kit.)
2.) Wash the car with car soap
3.) Dry the car off
4.) Clay the car with the magic unicorn detailer spray.
5.) Don't worry about the streaks left over from the clay and spray.
6.) Rub wax with microfiber towel...wait for wax to glaze over. After the wait buff out the wax.
7.) now spray the car with magic unicorn quick detailer spray with microfiber towel for a quick wipe down.

after 12,000 miles, I started to do the washing myself 3X a year for 5 to 6 hours.
1. Wash the car
2. clay bar - to remove stubborn dirt
3. polishing compound - Removes Oxidation, Swirl Marks
4. ultimate polish - Maximizes gloss and deepens color
5. ultimate liquid wax - for protection
Old 06-11-2012, 09:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by maynard0418
after 12,000 miles, I started to do the washing myself 3X a year for 5 to 6 hours.
1. Wash the car
2. clay bar - to remove stubborn dirt
3. polishing compound - Removes Oxidation, Swirl Marks
4. ultimate polish - Maximizes gloss and deepens color
5. ultimate liquid wax - for protection
Maynard, do you take in your car for regular car washes in between the more detailed wash that you do 3x a year? =)

I should start using a clay bar and polishing compound on mine due to tree sap and water spots...
Old 06-11-2012, 09:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by JennyC
Maynard, do you take in your car for regular car washes in between the more detailed wash that you do 3x a year? =)

I should start using a clay bar and polishing compound on mine due to tree sap and water spots...
I live in South Bay California, between my detail, I do take my car for a wash and was, normally it cost me $12 here in Cali.

But in your case if you have water spot or marks, you do have to clay bar it first then polishing compound... when doing polishing compound, I recommend using a polisher, and be careful when using a polisher.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by maynard0418
I live in South Bay California, between my detail, I do take my car for a wash and was, normally it cost me $12 here in Cali.

But in your case if you have water spot or marks, you do have to clay bar it first then polishing compound... when doing polishing compound, I recommend using a polisher, and be careful when using a polisher.
Sounds like a good idea, I cannot detail my car often so 3X a year like you do is very reasonable. I would need to read more about using a polisher before attempting it. My brother let me test it before when he was polishing his car but I was not comfortable with it.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I like wax my car at least once a month and then clay for every season change. I just wash my car once a week at home. Saves me money in the end and i know its done right.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

I never clay. Just too tedious. I get the same or better results using a high-speed polisher and then a wax or sealant.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i need to clay mine. There seems to be a ridiculous amount of crap on the paint.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't clay anymore, either - waaay too much time and sweat. A good long-lasting acrylic polish/sealant like Zaino applied with a random orbital works for me, twice a year. I remove the polish with the random orbital as well. I have better things to do with my time than rub paint
Old 06-12-2012, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Man I sure don't have any friends that would help wax my car. Well maybe I do, but I'd feel like a knucklehead asking them! Maybe they'll stick around and help clean out the garage when we're done with the car

Quick Reply: 45,000 miles on meteor grey and i decided to clay and wax...what you think?