Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

(5000 km) 2 Week Europe Road Trip Review

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 01:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default (5000 km) 2 Week Europe Road Trip Review

This is the Review of my New Q5 on the recent 2 week Europe Road trip I went on with some of my friends from the states. Below is a map of the route we took and we covered almost 5000 km’s in the timeframe.

We started out in Stuttgart and went from there.

L – Stuttgart
B – Paris, France
C – Amsterdam, Netherlands
D – Cologne, Germany
F – Neuschwanstein Castle
G – Garmisch, Germany
H – Venice, Italy
I – Sienna, Italy
J – Rome, Italy
K – Monterosso Al Mare, Italy (Cinque Terre)

I actually drove most of the trip myself except for a few hours between Paris and Amsterdam. The ride and the seats were perfect for me to be able to drive for long periods of time. Most of the drives in between places were 5 to 6 hours each. Have to say this trip was very crammed as you can see by everything we saw. Rome and Cinque Terre were the only places we stayed multiple nights at everything else was one night and we were off driving the next morning.

The Q5 saw its mix of warm and snowy weather on the trip the morning we drove through Austria they had got 14 inches of snow and the highway was partly plowed. The Q5 did fine with the summer tires on and had no problems with the amount of snow we had to go through.

We had to make a stop on the way to Rome in Sienna because my friends’ wife reads too many books and wanted to see the cobble stone roads of the Tuscany valley lol. Which she brought up this route change out of the blue, so I had to look for her rolling hills of Tuscany. I ended up picking a back road and driving down it and had to go bit off road when the Nav showed a good size break in the road that ended up being a stream. It was only about 6 inches deep and the Q5 did fine going through that and all the other bumps and holes on this side road.

I really had no problems with the Q5 on the whole trip we averaged around 42 mpg. The Nav never messed up and was always right every city we went to had 3D buildings so that was pretty cool to point out where the Eiffel Tower was and stuff. I’m regretting not getting Power folding mirrors with my Q5 but my lack of German was the only thing to blame in that. My honest opinion is that the Q5 was a very smart purchase for me and I’m already planning another week road trip in it for next year.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Stuttgartrob
This is the Review of my New Q5 on the recent 2 week Europe Road trip I went on with some of my friends from the states. Below is a map of the route we took and we covered almost 5000 km’s in the timeframe.

We started out in Stuttgart and went from there.

L – Stuttgart
B – Paris, France
C – Amsterdam, Netherlands
D – Cologne, Germany
G – Garmisch, Germany
H – Venice, Italy
I – Sienna, Italy
J – Rome, Italy
K – Monterosso Al Mare, Italy (Cinque Terre)

I actually drove most of the trip myself except for a few hours between Paris and Amsterdam. The ride and the seats were perfect for me to be able to drive for long periods of time. Most of the drives in between places were 5 to 6 hours each. Have to say this trip was very crammed as you can see by everything we saw. Rome and Cinque Terre were the only places we stayed multiple nights at everything else was one night and we were off driving the next morning.

The Q5 saw its mix of warm and snowy weather on the trip the morning we drove through Austria they had got 14 inches of snow and the highway was partly plowed. The Q5 did fine with the summer tires on and had no problems with the amount of snow we had to go through.

We had to make a stop on the way to Rome in Sienna because my friends’ wife reads too many books and wanted to see the cobble stone roads of the Tuscany valley lol. Which she brought up this route change out of the blue, so I had to look for her rolling hills of Tuscany. I ended up picking a back road and driving down it and had to go bit off road when the Nav showed a good size break in the road that ended up being a stream. It was only about 6 inches deep and the Q5 did fine going through that and all the other bumps and holes on this side road.

I really had no problems with the Q5 on the whole trip we averaged around 42 mpg. The Nav never messed up and was always right every city we went to had 3D buildings so that was pretty cool to point out where the Eiffel Tower was and stuff. I’m regretting not getting Power folding mirrors with my Q5 but my lack of German was the only thing to blame in that. My honest opinion is that the Q5 was a very smart purchase for me and I’m already planning another week road trip in it for next year.
Thanks for the review. Sounds like you had a great time. Definitely envious of your great gas mileage; I'm likely to see 20mpg or less with the 3.2. The wife and I plan on doing a lot of road trips with our Q5 in Europe, and this shows it handles the terrain well.
Old 10-25-2011, 02:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 10-25-2011, 04:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by CrustyNoodle
We just did a quick drive by and snapped some pics of it from the road. My friends just wanted to see it they didn't care about touring it.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

That sounds like an amazing drive! And mpg's we here in the US can only dream of. You know what's next though - where are those pics?
Old 10-25-2011, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gat821
That sounds like an amazing drive! And mpg's we here in the US can only dream of. You know what's next though - where are those pics?
Oh I have the pics I took right around 1700 pics on the trip, just haven't had a whole lot of time to upload them.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh I have the pics I took right around 1700 pics on the trip, just haven't had a whole lot of time to upload them.
Look like my feature ED
But you know me - I have to tell you

Old 10-25-2011, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Nice review and story. I was just in Athens and noted how many of the cars had folding mirrors that were a necessity as when parked there was no room for other cars to get by on the narrow road if the mirrors were deployed. Not a issue in the US any place I have been - though SF may try to be that way. Look forward to your pictures
Old 10-26-2011, 03:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

One of the reasons why I drove so much on this trip was because my friend didn't like the narrow roads of Europe. I guess from living here over 6 years I've gotten used to it and can whip the Q5 around the cramped streets without even worrying about it. I tried my hardest to always park in parking garages on the trip and the one in Paris and Venice was quite challenge to maneuver the Q5 in.
Probably going to get something new in a couple years anyways so I'll make sure I read the order form better next time.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes sir, familiarity with the car helps fit it into those narrow places !!!

FUN trip I'm sure...one of my "Wish I had's..." when I was overseas working was that I should have taken more time to see the sights !

How many adults on the trip ?
While we LOVE the Q if it's just us for a short weekend...
any more, or longer, and the wife insists we take the large car
as her luggage leaves no room for me

Quick Reply: (5000 km) 2 Week Europe Road Trip Review