Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

5000K service...car shows no oil level

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5000K service...car shows no oil level

Just picked up my Q5 after its 5000 mile service. I went to the oil level display and it registers nothing. Did someone forget to reset something or should I take it back to the dealer? I assume there is no dipstick to pull to provide another check. Didn't see one staring me in the face when I opened the hood.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Upon further review....

I decided to go back, start the car again and check things out. I started the car and a message displayed that the oil level reading would be available in two minutes with the oil warm and the engine off. So, turned the car off. Turned it on again and I did get an oil level reading. It's only about one third of the way between min and max, so looks like it needs another half quart of oil. Guess I need to stop by and get more oil added tomorrow.

Why did they eliminate the dip stick?????
Old 07-19-2012, 02:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I just had my 5,000 mile service done also and the MMI oil readout is exactly as yours...about 1/3 of the bar. Must be an Audi thing to save on the oil.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:12 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

If it is between Min and Max, then there is no problem or need to put in more oil. At the level you indicate you are well within the operating range, and adding more oil would be a waste. Overfilling can be just as bad as no oil.
Old 07-20-2012, 07:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Buy a dipstick!!!!!!!!
Old 07-20-2012, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

please note also the mmi gauge is NOT a Full range gauge like every other gauge on this and most cars !!!

Would have been nice to put a gradient on there to tell us how much...
like max on the gauge is 6 quarts, the minimum on the display is 5 quarts or something like that ...

but iirc, from the top of that graph to the bottom is a 1 quart level difference !

course I could be wrong - and stupid of Audi to leave ANY question of how much to guesses like that !

Last edited by JohnBoyToo; 07-20-2012 at 07:39 AM.
Old 07-20-2012, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

OK. So lets see...When I picked up my Q new. The salesperson made a point of showing me that the MMI oil readout was full. At about 4,000 miles the low oil warning indicator went off and I added 1 quart of oil. ( First time I ever had to add oil to a new car between changes but that is another rant for another day). Now after my first scheduled service the Q is starting out 2/3 of a quart low , so I will probably have to add a quart in about 2,000 miles. Wonderful.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 213 Likes on 174 Posts

Mine used about 2/3 of a quart before the 5K mile service, and most of that was within the first 2K miles. The gauge said full after that service and has stayed at full and now at almost 11K miles. I have never not opened a hood this much.
Old 07-20-2012, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Ok. I will start holding my breath....Now.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Didn't take much to get to max

Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo
please note also the mmi gauge is NOT a Full range gauge like every other gauge on this and most cars !!!

Would have been nice to put a gradient on there to tell us how much...
like max on the gauge is 6 quarts, the minimum on the display is 5 quarts or something like that ...

but iirc, from the top of that graph to the bottom is a 1 quart level difference !

course I could be wrong - and stupid of Audi to leave ANY question of how much to guesses like that !
I picked up some Castrol Edge to top the oil off. I added one-third of a quart and that got the gauge to Max. So, the gauge is roughly a half quart more or less. It's a good idea to top off oil when you are down a half quart, so makes sense.

Quick Reply: 5000K service...car shows no oil level