Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

8th Gear in "S"

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default 8th Gear in "S"

Just wondering if anyone with the gear numbering enabled (using VAG-COM) can confirm at approximately what speed 8th gear is engaged in Sport mode, if at all ?

I ask because it feels like the "D" shift programming can lug the 2.0T engine when in 8th gear and at speeds between 50-60 mph, especially if running into a headwind. The engine is turning only 1600-1800 rpm and it also feels a little harsh in this range. I can feel some torsional vibration that was never apparent on my lighter (and more aerodynamic) A3 with 2.0T. My A3 had the DSG transmission and the engine would also run as low as 1700-1800 rpm at slow highway speeds, but I always thought it was very smooth (especially for a 4-banger) throughout its normal operating/rpm range.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

I have the gear indication enabled through vag-com programming, and in "S" the transmission only uses 8th gear when you are using cruise control. In every day driving (ie not using cruise), 7th is as highest gear which is used. This is for my 3.0T, but it should hold for the 2.0.
Old 10-03-2013, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by NABS4
I have the gear indication enabled through vag-com programming, and in "S" the transmission only uses 8th gear when you are using cruise control. In every day driving (ie not using cruise), 7th is as highest gear which is used. This is for my 3.0T, but it should hold for the 2.0.
Just a data point for the SQ5, I have the VCDS mod as well and have seen 8th gear engaged in non-cruise mode (normal driving in sport mode) for speeds north of 80MPH. Around 85-90MPH it'll shift to 8th gear.
Old 10-03-2013, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TonySCV
Just a data point for the SQ5, I have the VCDS mod as well and have seen 8th gear engaged in non-cruise mode (normal driving in sport mode) for speeds north of 80MPH. Around 85-90MPH it'll shift to 8th gear.
I hope you were on Hwy-130 in Austin when you were going 85mph or else you'd be breaking the law!
Old 10-03-2013, 03:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Parsec
I hope you were on Hwy-130 in Austin when you were going 85mph or else you'd be breaking the law!
Sadly last time I used 130 it looked like they dropped the speed limit to 80 for some reason. Your Spain-bound toll dollars at work, I guess. Raise the price, lower the speed. Still higher than the 75 limit for normal highways, but still, not quite the same.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 230 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by stash64
Just wondering if anyone with the gear numbering enabled (using VAG-COM) can confirm at approximately what speed 8th gear is engaged in Sport mode, if at all ?

I ask because it feels like the "D" shift programming can lug the 2.0T engine when in 8th gear and at speeds between 50-60 mph, especially if running into a headwind. The engine is turning only 1600-1800 rpm and it also feels a little harsh in this range. I can feel some torsional vibration that was never apparent on my lighter (and more aerodynamic) A3 with 2.0T. My A3 had the DSG transmission and the engine would also run as low as 1700-1800 rpm at slow highway speeds, but I always thought it was very smooth (especially for a 4-banger) throughout its normal operating/rpm range.
A 2014 2.0T here, in S mode, 8th gear usually kicks in about 70-75 mph.

I never use D mode as I find it extremely annoying, if S mode wasn't available I would probably sell my Q5 by now. I also use manual mode around town a lot.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Parsec
"Professional driver. Closed course. Do not attempt."
Old 10-04-2013, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
A 2014 2.0T here, in S mode, 8th gear usually kicks in about 70-75 mph.

I never use D mode as I find it extremely annoying, if S mode wasn't available I would probably sell my Q5 by now. I also use manual mode around town a lot.
I have been using "S" for under 50 mph driving and "D" above that, but I find myself driving faster than I normally would in a 55 mph zone just to keep the engine running smoothly. That doesn't always work when I get behind slow drivers. I think I may end up using "D" only when on the interstate with a 65 mph speed limit.

Sport mode has issues too. The 1-2-3 shifting, both up and down, is erratic. It is there in "D" as well, just not as obvious. I think you can avoid this if you hammer on the accelerator and are willing to give up some fuel economy.

Hoping Audi will have a software update to fix one or both issues, though I would be surprised if they changed the 8th gear shift point in "D" with all the pressure for improved fuel economy.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.
Old 10-04-2013, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 230 Likes on 194 Posts
Default No erratic 1-2-3 shifting here....

Originally Posted by stash64
I have been using "S" for under 50 mph driving and "D" above that, but I find myself driving faster than I normally would in a 55 mph zone just to keep the engine running smoothly. That doesn't always work when I get behind slow drivers. I think I may end up using "D" only when on the interstate with a 65 mph speed limit.

Sport mode has issues too. The 1-2-3 shifting, both up and down, is erratic. It is there in "D" as well, just not as obvious. I think you can avoid this if you hammer on the accelerator and are willing to give up some fuel economy.

Hoping Audi will have a software update to fix one or both issues, though I would be surprised if they changed the 8th gear shift point in "D" with all the pressure for improved fuel economy.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.
My Q shifts quite nicely up or down in S mode....

Maybe you should take your Q to the dealer and have them check/reset the coding.
Old 10-04-2013, 06:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I did already discuss the problem with the dealer... just trying to hold off until my regular scheduled visit.

Quick Reply: 8th Gear in "S"