Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

A4 or Q5

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 06:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A4 or Q5

I really hope a thread doesn't exist already, if so, so sorry, couldn't find it.

I have been discussing previously my choices of the Q5 and the Volvo XC60 RD, and the Lexus F-Sport. However, having spent some time driving other cars, it is apparent that I like the Audi line best.

I went to the dealership today after driving the Infiniti G37S. It was nice, but not as thrilling as I had hoped. I had always wanted one of those for years. But it got me thinking about a car.

There is no real reason for me to get a CUV vs a car. I have only driven a Rav4 for the past 12 years, so I guess I got accustomed to the height, the visibility, the getting in, etc. 95% of the time, it's just me in the car, no one else. The other 4% would have my wife with me, and the other 1%, I may carry along 2 kids (one in the front, one in the back).

So at the dealership, they put me in the 2013 all road. It was nice, but I didn't walk away grinning. He then put me in an A4. I was actually quite impressed with it. I found it had a lot of pep (not as much ummmph as the Volvo S60 R design, but still pretty good), handled well, and size wise, similar to the Q.

I know the Q is built on the A4 platform, has the same engine, and really is remarkably similar. So my questions/discussions for you guys is why did you choose/or are looking at the Q5 over the A4. I am new to Audi and am trying to learn all I can. I do see A4's everywhere, but I loved the sport seats in the S-line trim, very nice to me. 2013's get minor changes like the Q, one of which is the streaming audio which is a must!

So chime in and let me know your reasons. I could go with either, but at least I've narrowed it down to Audi, now which one? Thanks in advance!!
Old 06-06-2012, 08:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Before we bought our 2012 Q5 2.0T i test drove an x3 and a volvo xc60 T6 and for some reason i kept on going back to the Q5. The X3's interior was cheaper than i expected. You had to pay for more add ons that should have came with the car to begin with like leather seats. I loved how comfy the seats on the T6 are but it felt heavy even though it had 300HP. The Q5 was the best looking and it felt like driving a car, it was more fun compared to the others. I also felt like the Q5 had the nicest interior

We also have a 6 month old baby and a trunk space is a must. When i was in the A4, i felt like it was cramped. Since you have 2 kids, you might want to decide on the Q5

BTW, you can get streaming audio on the 2012 Q5 by getting the Audi AMI bluetooth adapter. you must get the convenience package as well.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it just depends on which you like driving better, comfort, etc.
I am in the same scenario as you. It's 90% just me in the Q. The other times it's just & my wife. It's rare that anyone is ever in the backseat (no kids yet), but if they are in our future (in the next few years) the Q5 should be able to handle that. I stopped buying "cars" purely for the limited storage. It's just a ton more convenient to have the back hatch with the room. I remember wanting a Q7 since they first came out, but never purchased. I slowly have reduced my Truck-->SUV--> down to the CUV Q5, and that is where I will stay more than likely. Plus the Q5 has nearly the same cubic space as the Q7, all in a smaller package.

I chose the Q5 because it was the best luxury/sporty/CUV combo out there, IMO.

If you decide to go the car route and go with the A4, you may as well go for the S4. Just a thought.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

The A4 may be more fun but trust me, you WILL ned the extra space. Be it a vacation or a renovation, the A4 is not big enough for a family. Go for the Q5, you will love it. Also if you want bluetooth streaming and nav, try this: http://audia2dp.weebly.com/index.html it is cheaper than the Audi solution.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought the Q5 because it gave me the best of both worlds-a little utility and fun-to-drive factor. I wanted something that sat a little higher than a sedan with a little sportiness. I really like the Q5 so far. When I'm behind the wheel, I forget that I'm in a 4,000 pound SUV. Though the 2.0T is plenty of power for me but if you want more power, I'd wait until the 3.0T comes out in 2012. Check it out and decide for yourself!
Old 06-06-2012, 10:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm having the same internal debate you are having. I've always owned sedans but as a kid the family always had an SUV. I drove a 2013 A4 and liked it, wanted to ****** it up.....but like a lot of these guys posted the space just isn't there. I drove a rogue for 2 weeks on business and enjoyed riding up high and having the space in the back.

No one can tell you which one to get, it's purely a personal decision. There are a ton of A4's out there, I think it's fair to say most people get along just fine with available space in that car. The question is can you?

If your looking at speeding 50k on a vehicle you need to look at all your options. Meaning if time isn't an issue stick it out for the next 3-4 months (hopefully not longer) and take a look at the new Q5. You should also drive an S4 cause you seem to be drifting toward powerful vehicles.

Have you decided on a color???
Old 06-07-2012, 03:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

We actually went to the dealer for the first with the A4 Avant in mind. We looked at a Q5 that was on the floor and thought--this is a very nice car but too big for our needs. However, we soon came to realize that the Avant was not practical as we often have people with us and the back seat is just too cramped--the center position is virtually useless for an adult. After a little more looking the Q5 seemed more and more attractive to us. It is not too big! Just the right size!

Last edited by OttoNY; 06-07-2012 at 03:53 AM.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:00 AM
Terlonz

Received 272 Likes on 183 Posts

My first Audi was a 2011 A4 Avant. It had the pluses of the A4 that you describe plus surprisingly good economy and great cargo room. When we traveled to Germany there were A4 Avants all over. It's all about the sport wagons over there and you can't swing a dead cat around in Munich without hitting an A4 Avant. Of course we Americans prefer the SUV image and so now we're getting the A4 Allroad.

I do a lot of mountain biking and dirt-roading and so forth, and I really wanted a Q5 in the first place. But when I bought the A4 I needed a car quickly. You couldn't easily find a Q5 and I got the A4 wagon because it was the only thing available. After about a year, I ordered my own Q5 last fall and switched.

With the Q5 I gave up a bit of cargo room, some performance & handling, and little bit of economy. I gained all-round versatility, off road ability, ground clearance and a versatile back seat.

The first thing I noticed was that the A4 interior seemed nicer. Also, rear seat passengers said right away that they weren't much more comfortable in the Q5 than they'd been in the A4. I guess they expected more comfort in the Q5 vs. the A4 than they actually got. You sit higher off the floor of the Q5 and the back seat adjusts more than the A4, and there's perhaps an inch or two more legroom. And there's definitely more head room. But that's it. Overall the Q5 footprint is slightly shorter and the cargo area is significantly smaller than the A4 wagon. But it's just the right size, very manageable, and compared to the A4 sedan it's probably pretty good.

The higher drive ratio in the Q5 combined with its weight and profile mean slightly weaker handling and lower MPG overall than the A4. However, the Q5 still out-handles almost anything in its class. I think it may be the least-compromised SUV/CUV, but I'll admit I didn't even shop BMW because the X3 used to be undriveably bad, and I know too many people who bought BMWs only because they "wanted a BMW". I know it's silly to discriminate against a brand in that way but I just couldn't set aside my aversion to being associated with the completely flawed X3 (I know they've fixed it now) and with BMW buyers in general.

There is a little "head toss" in the Q5 from sitting up so high, and it doesn't have the eager feeling of the A4, but it's still a darn good drive considering what it is.

Last edited by mtberman; 06-07-2012 at 05:06 AM.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by JSING

Have you decided on a color???
I have always liked white, and I think it looks great in the Q. I wanted black rims or even titanium, my wife hates them as she feels they look dirty. I like the look. Small decisions later. I also like the A4 in white. My Rav is silver, and although I love silver, wanted something different this time around. Black looks great when polished and clean, but I don't have the time for a bi-weekly wax

Which colours do you like?
Old 06-07-2012, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since you like white, here are a few pics of an A4 and the S4 that were at the dealer the last time I was there for service.

I fit were me, and I went with a "car" version (and you didn't chose the A4 Avant or the A4 Allroad or Q5) it would be a no brainer to go with the S4. JMO.

A4 Foreground/S4 Background
-----------------------------

A4
--------------

S4 (titanium pkg.)
-----------------

Quick Reply: A4 or Q5