Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Adjustable Brake Pedal?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adjustable Brake Pedal?

Hi all,

I've searched the forum and have checked my owners manual but can't seem to find any info on whether the Q5's brake pedal is adjustable or not. My guess is no from a visual inspection. If it's not "owner adjustable", does anyone know if Audi service can adjust?

Thanks.
Old 10-01-2011, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 358 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by tridentnyc
Hi all,

I've searched the forum and have checked my owners manual but can't seem to find any info on whether the Q5's brake pedal is adjustable or not. My guess is no from a visual inspection. If it's not "owner adjustable", does anyone know if Audi service can adjust?

Thanks.
I do not understand why you want to "brake pedal is adjustable or not"
Are you a car does not brake well or what
Why adjustable something if everything works
Old 10-01-2011, 03:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by spijun
I do not understand why you want to "brake pedal is adjustable or not"
Are you a car does not brake well or what
Why adjustable something if everything works
The brake pedal on my Q5 is considerably more forward than my accelerator pedal and moving from one to the other is somewhat awkward.

Many vehicles come with adjustable pedals so the driver can "customize" how far forward or back the pedals are for better feel. This is what I'm hoping to do with mine.
Old 10-01-2011, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No it's not, nor have I asked if it could be adjusted...
My larger suv has adjustable brake and gas although they move as a pair... it's a nice feature,

in your case, if the gas pedal is too low,
maybe raising it would be easier than lowering the brake pedal...

or maybe over time you will "get used to it" good luck !

the easiest solution though would be to just not stop, just gas it
Old 10-01-2011, 06:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo
or maybe over time you will "get used to it" good luck !
Wow...another thing for trident to get used to...when will it end??!!
Old 10-01-2011, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo
the easiest solution though would be to just not stop, just gas it
What I'm thinking!
Old 10-01-2011, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by HaveBullDogWillTravel
Wow...another thing for trident to get used to...when will it end??!!
Funny how many people on this forum can mod the hell out of their Q5's: Chip their ECU's while jeopardizing their brand new warranty, rip off front bumpers to put in S-line ones, drop their suspension and put in different sway bars, etc., all the while undoing the millions in R&D development and careful engineering that Audi obviously put into this vehicle.

Oh that's right, Audi is an "enthusiasts" brand, I forgot. Funny how wanting to address a comfort and possibly a safety issue elicits such a response.

Many vehicles have such a feature, I was simply inquiring whether the Q5 did as well.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Funny how wanting to address a comfort and possibly a safety issue elicits such a response.
Not so funny, at all. That response is the short version and I posted it because of how many issues you are having with your Q5 that you supposedly test drove before you ordered. Here's the long version...

You have had(and still have) more dislikes, concerns, annoyances, and general issues BY FAR than any other member here and it seems as though there's no end in sight. I'm sure you remember these...

"So I just picked up my 2012 2.0T Q5 and I'm pretty freaked out to be honest. Hopefully some of you can shed some light on some issues that were not apparent to me during my test drive.
1. Turbo lag...
2. The ride...
3. Road and wind noise...
4. Nav unit...
5. Sideview Mirror...
I am really disappointed and more than a little freaked out right now as I feel like I'm hating the car already."

and...

"I too have been shocked by the clunky low speed hurky jerky shifting right around 15 mph, annoying as hell!
I also find the powerband completely lacking down low, actually I find it a chore to drive this car slowly around town or at speeds under 50 mph."

and...

"One are I completely disagree with you is the B&O, I think it pretty much sucks and I'm a 24 year audio engineer professional."

and...

"Totally agree with your assessments of the 2.0T's powertrain. Have had mine admittedly only three weeks but am starting to think I should've gone 3.2 for all the reasons you point out here."

and, again...

"Has anyone who hated the Q5's Dumbo mirrors actually gotten used to them where they no longer seem like an absolute accident waiting to happen? "

and...

"I definitely have had quite a bit of buyers remorse with the Q and am still trying to figure out if I'll keep it or not."

and...

"I have a sound I'm trying to figure out is turbo whine or not. Particularly when the 2.0T is cold and driving it's first mile or so I hear a high pitched whine (not whistle) during..."

and, finally...uh, maybe...

"I've searched the forum and have checked my owners manual but can't seem to find any info on whether the Q5's brake pedal is adjustable or not. My guess is no from a visual inspection"

Please forgive...I did my best but I'm sure I missed a few.

Good grief!...It's like you mail-ordered your Q5 without ever driving one. BTW, I didn't mention your dislike of the NAV unit because I share some of those concerns.
I get the impression you'd be much happier driving something else.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by HaveBullDogWillTravel
You have had(and still have) more dislikes, concerns, annoyances, and general issues BY FAR than any other member here and it seems as though there's no end in sight...I get the impression you'd be much happier driving something else.
Bulldog,

Guilty as charged I suppose. As I have said, this is the first new car purchase that I've had such a strong reaction too, also it's my first German and turbo vehicle for that matter, so I'm a bit incredulous to the whole situation as well.

What I've been trying to do with most of my posts is to find out whether I did indeed buy the wrong vehicle or not as you suggest. Some of my earlier issues have gotten better with time, some have not. I still love the Q5 for a number of reasons visually and on paper, it's just the (longer than a 10 minute test drive) driving experience has not been what I expected.

As I need to use mass transit to commute Mon-Fri for work, I only get to drive the Q on weekends and don't get a lot of seat time, so I was hoping some of my posts would generate some forum feedback as to what may or may not get better with time.

To you and anyone else who has been frustrated with my posts I sincerely apologize but I will continue to ask questions on this forum, like I did with the brake pedal, in hopes of making a final decision on the Q very soon. I've found most members to be helpful and understanding, if not a bit bemused by my situation.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

[QUOTE=HaveBullDogWillTravel;24205526]Not so funny, at all. That response is the short version and I posted it because of how many issues you are having with your Q5 that you supposedly test drove before you ordered. Here's the long version...

You have had(and still have) more dislikes, concerns, annoyances, and general issues BY FAR than any other member here and it seems as though there's no end in sight....

You're right on the money, BullDog! Here's a rather emotional post from Trident, which I had responded to sometime back. IMHO, he shouldn't have taken delivery while he had the opportunity:

I must say this whole experience has soured me on Audi. Between the out of date maps and the backup camera issue, I'm regretting giving them my business. If I didn't place a factory order and if the dealership wasn't holding my $1000.00 deposit I would cancel. Oh and by the way, my salesman at the last minute added on over $400 worth of fees (advertising and dealer prep) that I have him in an email saying I would not be charged. He now says it is included in every invoice in the NY tri-state area and take it or leave it.

I'm so sick of this whole process. I have no car, waited four months to get this one and feel like I'm being screwed at the last minute. I already hate Audi and I don't even have the car, supposed to pick it up this Saturday. Usually I'd be very excited, now I just want to punch someone in the face. This sucks.

And I ben_aip's response was:
Wow!! Such strong words and emotions - "soured; regret; sick; screwed; hate; punch; sucks"

IMHO, if I am harboring all of the above about any product and/or its mfg/supplier, I'd not hesistate to cancel my order. And btw, that deposit IS indeed refundable. Go for it! Don't get me wrong tridentnyc, I might have felt likewise if I were treated by both Audi and the dealer the way you described. Take it easy buddy - do whatever makes you feel better. Good luck.

Last edited by ben_aip; 10-02-2011 at 09:33 PM.

Quick Reply: Adjustable Brake Pedal?