Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Advanced Key problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advanced Key problems

I was wondering if anyone was having problems with the keyless entry to the Q.

1st...For some reason the car does not see the key coming ... the doors do not open at all .....

2nd... Last night we were at a Party the Q was parked outside I just decided to walk over to the Q and touch the Handle Of the Q and guess what ... The Q opened the lights flashed & I was surprised.

feedback would be much appreciated

I have an appointment at the dealer on the Thursday I'll post the details of how it turns Out .

Regards BCD-1
Old 06-10-2012, 06:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

What you described is exactly how keyless entry on all the Audis works. It unlocks when you touch the door handle, not when you approach the car (unless you use the unlock button on the key).
Old 06-10-2012, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by allenrbeck
What you described is exactly how keyless entry on all the Audis works. It unlocks when you touch the door handle, not when you approach the car (unless you use the unlock button on the key).
I never ever use unlock button on the key... or the Key , I have a button to start the Q
We purchased the Tech Package ......
The Q has been acting weird over the last few weeks when I spoke with my dealer they has said that there are sensors that are most probably defective.
For some reason the Q does not see the key coming When I go to open the Car.

As well my wife has the Number 1 key ....for the Q her setting for the seat as well is not working.
Example when she is close to the car opens the door The driver's seat would go to her settings that were programmed. Without pressing the number 1 on the Door Panel. That if I would have been driving the Q in the Number 2 key.
Her Key the number 1 key would adjust the seat automatically funny to see ....

BCD-1
Old 06-10-2012, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Perhaps it's an issue with the key itself? Also, I haven't played around with if both keys are present, what seat settings would it set itself to...
Old 06-10-2012, 09:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Have you checked/replaced battery in your key? If your wife's key can get the doors to open, it's more than likely your key has a problem.

As far as the settings changing when she uses her key, isn't that how it's supposed to work - the key currently in use determines the seat positions (which was saved to the key when it was last used)? The 1 and 2 buttons on the door panels are used to recall your saved seat positions (to those buttons only) in case someone else uses your key and changes your seat position, so you can still get back to the positions you had saved to the buttons.

-alex

Originally Posted by BCD-1
I never ever use unlock button on the key... or the Key , I have a button to start the Q
We purchased the Tech Package ......
The Q has been acting weird over the last few weeks when I spoke with my dealer they has said that there are sensors that are most probably defective.
For some reason the Q does not see the key coming When I go to open the Car.

As well my wife has the Number 1 key ....for the Q her setting for the seat as well is not working.
Example when she is close to the car opens the door The driver's seat would go to her settings that were programmed. Without pressing the number 1 on the Door Panel. That if I would have been driving the Q in the Number 2 key.
Her Key the number 1 key would adjust the seat automatically funny to see ....

BCD-1
Old 06-10-2012, 12:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

you definitely have an issue. I never touch a thing and it unlocks. You might wany to check your lock unlock settings in the MMI.
Old 06-10-2012, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Alex you are incorrect . The number 1 key that the dealer gave you is the control key
Example: If the number 2 driver is 6 foot 2" tall the seat would go all the way back and stay that way.....
My wife is the number 1 driver she is 5 foot even .... as soon as she is 1-2 feet from the car with her Key in her bag the seat automatically goes forward without touching the driver's door button number 1 ... That is how it works for the 1st Driver of the Car.

And today I just got back in from washing the Q all is back to Normal ??????
The doors are opening fine and I can lock them... very Bazar ? Humidity
I will still head over for my appointment on Thursday .

BCD-1
Old 06-10-2012, 06:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Our Audis with the advance key don't unlock until the back of the inside of the door handle is touched, as if grasping it to pull the door open. Just walking up to the vehicle doesn't unlock it. Our seats don't begin to adjust to the settings associated with the key until the person holding that key touches the back of the Driver's door handle. Also, the seat settings associated with a specific key can, and will, change if the seat is positioned differently when the car is locked using that key. I know you're in Canada, but can your advance key be so different from the ones in the USA? Even the 2012 A8L I had as a loaner car for 2 weeks operated the same way our Audis do.

I can tell you from experience, that if you're having advance key troubles, try replacing the battery. It's fixed ours each and every time. First time we thought it was an issue with the sensors, because the vehicle was so new, but it turned out to be the battery.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yeah the car unlocks when you grasp the handle, locks when you touch that sensor on the handle, and will not move the seats according to key profiles if the "OFF" button is active on the seat memories (where theres / SET | 1 | 2 | OFF /) IIRC
Old 06-11-2012, 04:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thank you for the replies Guys that is true the Q has to be touched.
1st The q will not Unlock until the car is touched.
2nd Double check the number 1 key is the controller key . If my wife is on the driver's side of the Q out side the Q with the key in her Bag and I have been driving the Q . Once she touches the Q the drivers seat advances on it's own with out touching the number 1 on the inside on the drivers Door. Other wise if she is setting in the passenger seat with the key in her Bag there is no reaction by the Q . Normal.

But this morning I went to pick up some Milk with the Q and the car did not see they Key. I Had to literally take the key out of my pocket and press the lock area of the key to lock the Doors of the Q ..... Ouch what a effort. Lol

Back to Square 1
BCD-1

Quick Reply: Advanced Key problems