Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Advanced Key problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used the "spot free rinse" for the 1st time on my Q5 this weekend, then my door lock/unlock sensors went intermittent Did some searches on hydrophobic solutions (spot free rinse) and it seems that they may be electrically conductive. Suspect that the door sensors are capacitive, so spot free rinse may put a short across them? Anyway scrubbed the rinse off the door handles, and it has not acted up since
Old 09-23-2014, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ardvark
I used the "spot free rinse" for the 1st time on my Q5 this weekend, then my door lock/unlock sensors went intermittent Did some searches on hydrophobic solutions (spot free rinse) and it seems that they may be electrically conductive. Suspect that the door sensors are capacitive, so spot free rinse may put a short across them? Anyway scrubbed the rinse off the door handles, and it has not acted up since
It might vary by car wash, but the wash I use almost exclusively has a spot free cycle which I use each time, and have never had an issue with the key system. This is after nearly two years of ownership and a lot of washes.
Old 02-15-2016, 04:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Have you experienced the dash alert stating there was not a key present? While the car was running and key in hand. As if you had started the car, then exited and left the key in the house.
Old 02-15-2016, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by flybooey
Have you experienced the dash alert stating there was not a key present? While the car was running and key in hand. As if you had started the car, then exited and left the key in the house.
Yup.... Im having that issue right now. My other key works fine... its just the key that I normally carry. Ive changed the battery but no joy. Have email into dealer service dept.
Old 02-15-2016, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Mine too. Keep us posted please.
Old 02-15-2016, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by flybooey
Mine too. Keep us posted please.
Does your other key work OK?

My issue is just with one key. I would get the message while driving and if i was trying to start the car, it would ignore me (not good!).
Old 02-16-2016, 02:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Well... the plot thickens... My other key started with the same thing today... therefore, its the car and not the keys. I have service scheduled for next week. The dealer will come get the car and leave me a loaner. Ill let you know what happens from there...

One thing to look for when it malfunctions... there is a little red led on the key. When you press the 'start' button, does the little led on the key fob flash?? Mine does but the car still wont start sometimes.
Old 02-23-2016, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Well.. my car is at the Audi dealer to work on the key issue. They brought me a brand new A6 to use as a loaner... very nice.... except its a 2.0. My TDI would eat it for lunch in town. Fingers crossed that they get it sorted out.
Old 02-23-2016, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Dealer just called. They said it was a 'SW ISSUE' and they reflashed it and all is good now. We will see when I get it back....
Old 02-26-2016, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Got some clarification and they 'recoded' the comfort module.. not reflashed it. Got the car back and within about 10 minutes of driving had the exact same thing happen... back to the dealer it goes.

I was able to reconfirm that it happens with either key...

Both keys have new batteries....

When I press the button to start the car one of two things happens... The led on the key flashes once and the car starts... or the LED on the key flashes multiple times and then the display says 'no key identified' and no attempt to start occurs.

Dealer has opened a 'Tech' case with Audi service.

Quick Reply: Advanced Key problems