Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Advice for summer tires on leased Q5

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 06:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice for summer tires on leased Q5

Last week I leased a Q5 3.0. It came with the 20" wheels and therefore included the performance summer tires (Goodyear Excellence). Because it's still winter here in Buffalo the dealer swapped the summers for some new all-seasons but let me keep the summers.

So I'm trying to decide what to do with the summer tires, which are just sitting in my garage at this point. I've never dealt with winter tires since I lease my cars and all-seasons have served me well in the past even in snowy Buffalo.

I'm not sure the all-season (Conti ExtremeContact DWS) will last through the term of the lease (36 months) so I may need to put something else on prior to turn in -- my 2012 Q5 needed new tires after about 22000 miles. I think those were also Conti.

I've got a few ideas churning:
  • stick with what I have and swap between all-season/summer each May/Oct. This would be best served by getting new wheels but maybe could do without new wheels
  • sell the all-seasons, get winters, and then swap between summers/winters. similar to above, consider getting new wheels but not sure
  • sell the summers, and just stick with the all-seasons. save the cash from sale of the summers to get new all-seasons if/when needed
Any thoughts or advice?
Old 03-13-2015, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those Conti DWS should make it 30k miles, they did on my other 2 Audi's. Swap the summers back on before turn in.
Old 03-14-2015, 07:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffsti
Last week I leased a Q5 3.0. It came with the 20" wheels and therefore included the performance summer tires (Goodyear Excellence). Because it's still winter here in Buffalo the dealer swapped the summers for some new all-seasons but let me keep the summers.

So I'm trying to decide what to do with the summer tires, which are just sitting in my garage at this point. I've never dealt with winter tires since I lease my cars and all-seasons have served me well in the past even in snowy Buffalo.

I'm not sure the all-season (Conti ExtremeContact DWS) will last through the term of the lease (36 months) so I may need to put something else on prior to turn in -- my 2012 Q5 needed new tires after about 22000 miles. I think those were also Conti.

I've got a few ideas churning:
  • stick with what I have and swap between all-season/summer each May/Oct. This would be best served by getting new wheels but maybe could do without new wheels
  • sell the all-seasons, get winters, and then swap between summers/winters. similar to above, consider getting new wheels but not sure
  • sell the summers, and just stick with the all-seasons. save the cash from sale of the summers to get new all-seasons if/when needed
Any thoughts or advice?
sure, sell me the summers