Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

aFe filter & MAF Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default aFe filter & MAF Sensor

This morning I dropped in the new aFe Pro Dry S air filter into the stock intake box, and I have to say the engine sounds a lot nicer with this mod. It is pretty impossible to notice 3-4 HP gains while driving, but I did notice the sound of the engine having a better and somewhat deeper note to it. And I haven't even got the new exhaust on yet!

It must be breathing exceptionally better. They state 58% more airflow from the factory unit and 99.2% filter efficiency rating.

It sounds to me like I can hear more airflow, and the engine note really does sound better.

I will say that the stock filter is about twice as deep and not only has the hard paper filter area, but some type of mesh under the bottom of it. It was pretty dirty when I took it out. I'd have to go check the manual to see how often the dealer replaces it during service.

The new filter fit like a glove. Didn't take long at all to install. I should have grabbed a couple pics of the new filter before install and the old filter, but I don't think to do it, sorry. I did take a couple of the engine bay afterward tho.

I went this route after looking at several filters and doing some research on the MAF sensor and oil build-up issues (I'm sure I'd over oil and not mean to do it.)

I wondered if the dealer ever cleans the MAF sensor (doubtful) and if we should clean it preventively every so often, or only if we feel there is a power loss problem, or if we even need to at all?
If you never run an oiled filter is there even a need?

So I was trying to find what the MAF looked like so I could find it. When I first looked at the car I figured it was what clips in (red arrows in pic below). When I look it up online it looks like a big round plastic thing. I have seen a couple images that were flatter as well. One DIY page I read made it look like you had to take it apart (something that look liked the blue arrows below) to get to it. and said something about once you take it off you have to buy new clips to get it put back in place.

So is it the red arrow area? Is is easy to take off and get back on? Should we clean it every so often? How often if so? Or only if we start to get a problem or throw a code?

The one page I read had it completely off and soaking in a bag of rubbing alcohol for about an hour. Then set it out to dry for a couple of hours before re-installing.

Just curious if anyone has ventured down this road. Especially if you have an oiled filter (K&N, aFe pro 5R, etc.)

Last edited by ThunderDent; 11-04-2012 at 02:03 PM.
Old 11-04-2012, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't mess with cleaning the maf sensor. So much more downside to messing up the very thin wire(s) that run across the opening than any upside. If your air filter is working then there is no reason the maf would be "dirty".
Old 11-04-2012, 03:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yeah, I certainly wasn't planning on messing with mine. Just reading all the stuff about it got me wondering if anyone on here running an oiled filter had run in to the problem.

And I was curious to know where the sensor actually was on the Q.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 358 Likes on 210 Posts

I used K & N filters, but I stopped because of problems with the MAF sensor.
Here are an interesting test of air filters. Not the latest date but can serve
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm
Old 11-20-2012, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

UPDATE for anyone searching for this subject matter on a Google or AW search.

DO NOT buy an aFe filter, or any other non-stock filter.This one was a dry filter with no oil and it still destroyed the sensor.

It took 13 days to destroy my MAF sensor and casue engine malfunctions, resulting in a parking brake malfunction that nearly locked up my wheels on while driving on the interstate.

DO NOT buy a replacement filter. Stick with your stock filter. It's only a few horsepower gain. It's not worth it.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2837520

Last edited by ThunderDent; 11-20-2012 at 03:52 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bleh, glad you got it figured out, at least. Hopefully others can learn from your mistake and not run into the same trouble (or worse).