Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Air Compressor

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 03:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Air Compressor

Anyone have experience with the air compressor in the cargo hold? I used it the other day to fill the wife's tires and was inpressed with how quickly it inflated four tires about 5 lbs each. The plastic housing and loud noise did not inspire much confidence, but that was quickly forgotten with how fast it worked. What I really liked about it was the screw-on connector it used, not the usual clip-on friction common on many air pumps. I attached a separate tire gauge to the compressor so there was absolutely no air loss when I disconnected it afterwards. Does anyone know the company that makes this compressor and if they sell their products here in the states? I was thinking of picking one up for the garage.

Thanks!
Old 09-13-2011, 03:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know that 'part' is somewhere underneath the rear cargo area but cannot say mine has seen the light of day! :P
Glad to hear somethign good about it.

It didn't have a name/ manufacturer on it that you could look online for another one?
Old 09-13-2011, 04:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was actually thinking of looking at it to familiarize myself with it, just in case....

but since it's the wife's daily driver and we'll just call a service.... I decided not to dig into it

on edit:
this is what I have in both garages - easily replaced and used:
http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-A...5925563&sr=8-1

Last edited by JohnBoyToo; 09-13-2011 at 06:53 AM.
Old 09-13-2011, 04:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

They are only for emergencies. Once you start using them to check and top up pressures regularily you will see how short the life span.
Old 09-13-2011, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good call... it doesnt like going back in the box!
Old 09-14-2011, 01:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, how does that thing work? I found it the other day when the auto repair guy left it sitting in my trunk. I just see a box. Is there there supposed to be a power cord and an air tube?
Old 09-14-2011, 03:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 358 Likes on 210 Posts

I see there are people here who do not know where is the compressor for the tires.
It is located on the back left side
Here's a picture where it is and how it seems
Attached Images   
Old 09-14-2011, 04:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

There's a 12 volt connector that you can plug into either in the dash or cargo hold. There is also an air hose with a screw-on connector that you connect to the valve stem of the tire. Attached to this air hose is an pressure gauge with a **** on top to control the flow of air. Once you attach the 12 volt connector and the air hose, flip the switch on the box to turn on the compressor. It's fairly loud but works quick. I was able to add about 8 lbs of pressure in about 30 seconds. When finished, unscrew the valve stem connector as quickly as possible to prevent leakage. Or you can do what I did and attach an external tire pressure gauge to the air hose and then attach the gauge to the tire (I'm using the Accu-Gage gauge, also with a screw-on connector). This way, leaving the tire pressure gauge attached to the tire, you can unscrew the compressor's air hose from the gauge without any leakage. Unfortunately, I was in a bit of a rush so I didn't see whether the compressor's gauge reading matched my gauge so I can't comment on how accurate it is. I do know my gauge is extremely accurate as I had tested it when I first got it. In my rush, I also didn't look for brand or manufacturer's markings on the compressor. In case you're wondering about my obsession with screw-on connectors, I've discovered that they last much longer than the more common friction snap-on connector which uses rubber and tends to wear away over time. I have a foot pump that has a snap-on connector that doesn't seal all that well anymore. Not sure if I can easily swap out the snap-on with a screw-on as the pump works fairly well.
Old 09-14-2011, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I used mine to inflate the spare once and it did a remarkable job. It took about 10-15 minutes, IIRC. I got the spare out and started the inflation and by the time I got the Q jacked up and the wheel off the spare was ready to go on.
FWIW, when deflating the compact spare it returns to its compact size all on its own.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jusforfun
Good call... it doesnt like going back in the box!
so true!

Quick Reply: Air Compressor