Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

All-Season Tires for Occasional Snow & Ice Climates?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 05:33 AM
bpp
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default soft sidewalls

Originally Posted by JBDinTX
Look for a performance winter tire. I have the Blizzak DM-V1. I wish I would have went with a more performance based tire. I have not had them in snow just dry and wet roads. But the handling could be better. I have had winter tires before and these seem a little fish tail'E to me !!
I presume you all know this...sidewalls on a true snow tire are soft for following the ice/snow surface contours for better grip.
Therefore this tire type gives up any true response handling on the dry we have become accustomed to. Once again no compromise for a true dedicated tire.
Old 12-28-2013, 05:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Reggie
I had 20" on my Q5 and put on immediately Conti DWS. A month later I drove back from Steamboat over strawberry pass and was scared to pieces as though I never lost traction I never felt I had control. Next I drove to Seattle from Colorado on I 80 in Wy in a snowstorm where I did 200 miles of 40mph max and then tons of black ice in Idaho and Washington. Never did they feel comfortable at all. The next fall I bought 19's and put snows on them. Big difference. Now the Contis are run as my summers (March-Oct)

My feeling is that if you need the car to be driven in bad weather then get snow tires.
Complete agreement on the Conti DWS they are not great in the snow, not sure why so many people say they are. Maybe compared to dedicated summer tires they are better but not anyway near a dedicated snow like a Blizzak. This year I tried a pair of 255/50-19 Nokian WRG2 on my Q5 3.0, they are actually pretty good, not the winter tire replacement that Nokian claims but handles dry roads nice and controllable in snow. The best though is a dedicated snow tire.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bpp
I presume you all know this...sidewalls on a true snow tire are soft for following the ice/snow surface contours for better grip.
Therefore this tire type gives up any true response handling on the dry we have become accustomed to. Once again no compromise for a true dedicated tire.
Yes. I have had other snow tires and these seem a little more soft than others. I think I should have went with the Dunlop winter sport 3D.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or winter sport 4d
Old 12-28-2013, 04:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run A/S on both and we get a decent amount of snow here.
Old 12-28-2013, 08:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Funny, after many years on the last car (RWD with LSD) with 4 season tires and real snow tires, all Michelins, I never noticed any real difference in handling in the heat or cold, despite whichever tires were on the car.

The overwhelming difference is that 4S tires are worthless in the snow. No traction, no braking, no control. Say anything else you want about it, but the bottom line is that if you want to start and STOP in the snow, you use snow tires. Not "winter" tires but snow tires. Using them all year round would simply be a waste of good purpose-built tread, since the more you run them on dry roads, the faster they were out and become useless as snow tires.

I am baffled by the way Audi sells a "sports" model or "sports" suspension with racing slicks [sic] only, on wheels where snow tires can't be fitted at any price. Surely, there is an optional Winter Sports Vehicle one is supposed to purchase to solve this problem?