Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Annoying Whine?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Annoying Whine?

Question....

Does anyone else have a small annoying whine? It's almost like an alternator whine where the pitch of the whine fluctuates with the throttle. I had something similar on my last car but that was due to custom audio setup and the power wires for the amp. I've done no mods to this car other than VAG / fog light / LED light.

It's really only noticeable when idling. As the throttle goes...it either becomes inaudible or goes away. I noticed it like 2 weeks ago (but it very well may have been there since day 1 since I usually have music blasting). It hasn't bothered me too much...but wanted to see if this is normal with the Q5s.

I'll bring it up at the 5k service in a few months but I already know they'll say its normal. :/

Last edited by g8tor20; 11-15-2011 at 08:55 AM.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by g8tor20
Question....

Does anyone else have a small annoying whine?
Yep...though mine is loud, constant and comes from the back seat area near my Mother-in-Law.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

pa-dum-boom.

He'll be here all week!

Old 11-15-2011, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by g8tor20
pa-dum-boom.

He'll be here all week!

Now...to answer seriously...I've never heard anything like this at all. Mine is whisper quiet. However, my hearing is a tad diminished.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Do you hear the whine when you let off the throttle? Does it go away when you increase the throttle? I've noticed that with the Q5, the A4, and the BMW 330xi. It's barely noticeable, especially on the Q5. I've always attributed it as something to the AWD system and never had a problem with it. However, I've never noticed it driving a friend's Impreza or maybe it was because the engine was loud...?
Old 11-16-2011, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Haven't noticed that either,
but now that YOU brought it up, will probably never NOT hear it again

j/k - maybe with the slightly louder than stock exhaust on her's, it mitigates any other 'noises'....
but will give it a listen if they wife ever lets me drive her car after testing the stability control again

oh, by the way - it worked flawlessly - went around that right angle corner at scary speeds
Old 11-16-2011, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Turbo spooling?
Old 11-16-2011, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I love the sound of a turbo spooling in the morning! That sound will never get annoying. G8tor, is the Q your first turbo? That might be it.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

It is my first turbo (only had supercharger before).

It doesn't sound like spooling but then again, I've never heard it from a driver's standpoint. More of a whine. Tough to describe.

It only bothers me at idle or when coasting. Seems like it either goes away or tough to hear once you start using the engine.

It's really annoying b/c it varies with the throttle. Another words, I hear it moreso as I'm rolling to a stop since our tranny is engineered to drop gears as you are slowing (thus I hear the whine go up and down as it goes from higher gears to lower gears as I coast).

Anybody in the northern palm beach county area with a Q5. Would love to hear another Q5 before going to the dealership.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

It Idle? Ok. I doubt its the turbo. I will see if I hear it in two weeks. Oh yeah! Most likely driveline e.g. diff or tranny. It's a good idea to do a comparo.

Quick Reply: Annoying Whine?