Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Anyone adding the Advanced Key to their 2012?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone adding the Advanced Key to their 2012?

With Audi now making the Advanced Key an option for the Premium Plus, I was wondering if anyone has decided to add it in.

My dealership had no clue about the pricing, but guesstimated the code of it to be $1200-$1500.

Has anyone used this on other Audi vehicles? If so, what are the pros and cons of this?

(I'm trying to justify spending that much on the option)
Old 05-17-2011, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I went from a prestige A4 to a premium plus S5, and the advance key is the only thing I miss. Definitely worth it.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm planning on getting it although I'm not sure exactly everything that it does.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:15 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"With optional Audi advanced key, an electronic access and authorization system, the driver can keep the car key in his or her pocket when unlocking and starting the vehicle. The key is identified via proximity sensors in each car door and trunk lid which is matched to a radio pulse generator in the key housing as soon as the driver is within approximately 5 feet of the vehicle. The vehicle is automatically unlocked as soon as the door handle or trunk is actuated.

The Audi advanced key system also means that, before the start of a journey, the steering is released and the ignition turned on electronically and without inserting the key in the ignition. Provided the driver has the key on his or her person inside the car, the engine can be started by pressing the brake pedal and pushing the Engine Start button. The Audi advanced key can also be used like a conventional key to operate central locking and start the vehicle via the ignition lock. When leaving a vehicle equipped with Audi advanced key, simply press a small locking button on any door handle to lock the vehicle. By recognizing up to four drivers, Audi advanced key forms the basis of Audi's new personalization system, one-touch memory." From AUDIUSA.COM
Old 05-17-2011, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by MrsAdams2007
I'm planning on getting it although I'm not sure exactly everything that it does.
I have it & Works like a dream

You will love it

I Would not be with out it

BCD-1
Old 05-17-2011, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

I know that some people who have this in their BMW have issues with it not always working. Is that the same with Audi or no? Anyone?
Old 05-17-2011, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

How does this work in an emergency situation? For example (just throwing out a hypothetical), if I am sitting in my car with the key in my pocket and doors are closed and locked, if someone approaches the car from the outside, are they able to unlock/open the car door from the outside by pulling on the handle?
Old 05-17-2011, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by BCD-1
I have it & Works like a dream

You will love it

I Would not be with out it

BCD-1
Still hard to go from the Q5 to the RS as I have to remember to get the key out of the pocket
Old 05-17-2011, 10:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Reggie
Still hard to go from the Q5 to the RS as I have to remember to get the key out of the pocket
I have loved it in my Mini. Gotten to where I really dislike having to bother with keys at all. Unfortunately, my 2011 2.OT P+ that is currently on its way did not have the option for the advanced key. If it had, I would have made sure to go for it. So worth it.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:53 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by geronimosan
How does this work in an emergency situation? For example (just throwing out a hypothetical), if I am sitting in my car with the key in my pocket and doors are closed and locked, if someone approaches the car from the outside, are they able to unlock/open the car door from the outside by pulling on the handle?
The car knows when you are in it. As long as you lock the doors from the inside they will not unlock unless you do it yourself. Audi thought of that one too!

Quick Reply: Anyone adding the Advanced Key to their 2012?