Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Anyone with B&O had a flat tyre yet?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 06:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone with B&O had a flat tyre yet?

I think it's only if you have the B&O sound-system that the sub-woofer takes up the spare tyre space, and you have to make do with an emergency electric pump. From the sticker on the pump case, I understand you would over-inflate the punctured tyre and this should give you about 10 minutes drive at a maximum of 50 mph, which would hopefully get you to a garage, or you'd just repeat the procedure. Has anyone been obliged to put this to the test, yet?
Old 02-07-2010, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by kennyboy
I think it's only if you have the B&O sound-system that the sub-woofer takes up the spare tyre space, and you have to make do with an emergency electric pump. From the sticker on the pump case, I understand you would over-inflate the punctured tyre and this should give you about 10 minutes drive at a maximum of 50 mph, which would hopefully get you to a garage, or you'd just repeat the procedure. Has anyone been obliged to put this to the test, yet?
the SUB does not take pleace of spare tire-it fits inside the disc of the spare. In case of a flat tire you do NOT overinflate your regular tire, instead you will pull out the spare, inflate the spare with the pump, and then install it on the Q.
Old 02-07-2010, 07:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Are you saying you have the B&O sound system and also a collapsable spare-tyre? Because I have the former and not the latter - which I understood to be "normal"........
Old 02-07-2010, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

in some countries, Audi delivers the repair kit
in other (as Belgium) they delivers the inflatable spare wheel
I bought supplementary the foam bottle, just in case...
but in dangerous situation, I'll use my phone to get help from the Audi assistance
Old 02-07-2010, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All of the Q5's have the subwoofer inside the spare. I do not have B&O and I still have the subwoofer there. Just unplug the subwoofer and take the spare out. Use the pump to inflate it. I've done it and it's quite easy.
Old 02-07-2010, 07:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by FitzLA
All of the Q5's have the subwoofer inside the spare. I do not have B&O and I still have the subwoofer there. Just unplug the subwoofer and take the spare out. Use the pump to inflate it. I've done it and it's quite easy.
This is right the inflatable spare tire sits on top of the tool kit and the sub sits inside the wheel. Remember when you remove the spare to unclip the wiring harness fist so you don't damage the wires to the sub.

http://www.iamaudi.com/audi-q5-roof-...d-audi-expert/
Old 02-07-2010, 11:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

OK - I'm an idiot and I need to pay attention! For some reason, I'd understood that the B&O sub-woofer was larger than the normal one and that therefore you couldn't have the B&O and the spare together. In fact, I now realise that because my Q5 was imported via the UK, where the spare is an optional extra (!), I only have the pump and the foam bottle. When I was checking this out yesterday, although I found the pump in its box, I hadn't noticed the foam bottle, which was tucked away in the corner. So I incorrectly came up with this nonsense of over-inflating a normal tyre (it did strike me as a bit odd).

It does seem strange though that here in Europe, there are some curious differences in standard specification. I can't see why in the UK you should pay £110 extra for the spare, whilst in Switzerland, where I am, it's standard.

Anyway - at least my confusion has been cleared up, thanks.
Old 02-08-2010, 04:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Kennyboy, I think you just anwser your own question. Every country have different option packages, thats the way it is. Personally, I would never trust a bottle of foam repair kit, I would buy the spare tire.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There must be an interesting story behind importing a German car to Switzerland via the UK not least the RHD LHD differences.
I think the spare is a waste of time. Only good for about 50 miles anyway. Bottle of foam or two and telephone number for mobile services just as good. Germany or Switzerland you have to replace a punctured tire anyway.
Oops: I just saw the Guyguyke reply sorry for the repeat.

Last edited by Jusforfun; 02-08-2010 at 06:56 AM. Reason: oops
Old 02-08-2010, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

My concern with a bottle of foam is that it cannot fix a side wall damage.