Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Anyone do any upgrades to the standard audi audio systems w/ MMI + Nav?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone do any upgrades to the standard audi audio systems w/ MMI + Nav?

Heya,

I bought my car used (2012 Premium Plus 3.2 + Nav + S-line), got a great price and love the car. The one disappointment so far (other than the weak iPhone integration) is the audio system.

What upgrades have people done that are not full massive installs? I would love to be able to change a couple of small things to get a bit of improvement. The sound just seems very muddled and the subwoofer "flappy". Keep in mind I would prefer a clean sounding system to a booming custom system. I wish this car had the B&O system because I am sure it would be fine for my listening needs.

As a background, I have an NAD sound system w/ B&W speakers at home, but wouldn't consider myself an audiophile.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Oh, I have run across the JBL MS-8 in my searches. I hear fantastic things, but it this a simple install or does the installer have to tear everything up?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wrcardon
Heya,

I bought my car used (2012 Premium Plus 3.2 + Nav + S-line), got a great price and love the car. The one disappointment so far (other than the weak iPhone integration) is the audio system.

What upgrades have people done that are not full massive installs? I would love to be able to change a couple of small things to get a bit of improvement. The sound just seems very muddled and the subwoofer "flappy". Keep in mind I would prefer a clean sounding system to a booming custom system. I wish this car had the B&O system because I am sure it would be fine for my listening needs.

As a background, I have an NAD sound system w/ B&W speakers at home, but wouldn't consider myself an audiophile.
only thing most of us did was upgrade the stock subwoofers.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AudiQ5sleeper
only thing most of us did was upgrade the stock subwoofers.
Any recommendations on brand? What was the size?
Old 05-03-2013, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

its all on you on the brand. For me I used Rockford P2 10inch. Any thing larger then a 10inch is retard-ly loud. 10inch sounds like stock but more solid. If money wasn't an issue id get JL subs
Old 05-03-2013, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

What size is the stock audi subwoofer (non-B&O)? I want to just do a plug-and-play switch.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

What size is the stock audi subwoofer (non-B&O)? I want to just do a plug-and-play switch.
Stock is 6in I believe. Q5 subwoofer DIY is very simple to do since the battery is located in the trunk.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AudiQ5sleeper
Stock is 6in I believe. Q5 subwoofer DIY is very simple to do since the battery is located in the trunk.
That's good to know.

If I just switch out the existing 6" sub for a better quality one, I don't have to involve the battery do I?

Can anyone make any suggestions on an aftermarket 6" sub that would be a simple swap out? From what I have read it is a 2ohm sub.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

That's good to know.

If I just switch out the existing 6" sub for a better quality one, I don't have to involve the battery do I?

Can anyone make any suggestions on an aftermarket 6" sub that would be a simple swap out? From what I have read it is a 2ohm sub.
There are a couple threads about Subs in the Q5. The sub I believe is 6.5".

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...bwoofer&page=6

This Thread has some good info in it.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by hookooehoo
There are a couple threads about Subs in the Q5. The sub I believe is 6.5".

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...bwoofer&page=6

This Thread has some good info in it.
Thanks for finding that thread.

So.... the more I read the more I realize there is not really a drop in replacement for the non-B&O system.

Both systems have bassboxes, however, the Audi system looks like it only takes a 5.5" 2ohm woofer because of the smaller trapezoidal shaped cutout.

Where as the B&O bassbox has a larger cutout and give more room for a 6.5" 4ohm woofer

From my reading of the forums, the standard Audi 10 speaker system is perceived as having more base, despite having the smaller woofer.

However, I am thinking of taking a gamble and buying a B&O bassbox and dropping in a 6.5" 2ohm subwoofer.

Does anyone know what the effect of 2ohm vs. 4ohm would be in the standard system?

Quick Reply: Anyone do any upgrades to the standard audi audio systems w/ MMI + Nav?