Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

anyone experiencing wiper chattering?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 10:55 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When we have that problem with the wipers we try out a wiper cleaning pad G-052-522-A2. States specifically on the package “for a clear view without streaks. Especially suitable for removal of wax deposits after an automatic car wash.” We have asked customers if they've gone through a car wash, and found something in that process stops the wipers from working normally. When this doesn't fix it we try new wipers and that has done the trick so far.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Found this reading the manual (yes, I'm a geek) for my new Q5 this morning:

"The windshield may not be treated with water-repelling windshield coating agents. Unfavorable conditions, such as wetness, darkness, low sun, can result in increased glare. Wiper blade chatter is also possible." - 2013 Owner's manual, page 55
Old 05-15-2013, 04:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by awryexperiment
Have you considered whether the glass surface is etched or scratched? I was living with a similar problem on a previous car that completely went away when I replaced the windshield due to a stone chip. the new glass was not etched like the old was and the skipping stopped.

Is it possible you travel in an area with geologically abrasive dusts?
That could be the issue too. The highway I used everyday have lots of construction trucks and those stones and/or smaller rocks are flying everywhere if you drive behind them. My windshield already had many minor chips.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks guys for your reply and inputs. Although I never put Rain-X on my windshield before, but I remembered over the winter I put "Ice-Melt" windshield washer made by Rain-X (the orange color washer) for better ice/snow melting ability. I read the label today and it has rain repellent additive in it.

Now, everything seems coming back... I got the car in December 2011. The problem didn't happen right the way. Over the winter I used Rain-X windshield washer fluid and that's when this problem started.... Today, couple of my co-workers told me "lacquer thinner" will remove everything on the windshield including Rain-X. I will give it a try. Yes, I know I need to be careful on the paint, plastic, and rubber when using lacquer thinner.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 613 Likes on 511 Posts
Default Yep, all computing

Uniformly I have found RainX and windshield wipers don't get along well--whether Audi's, Toyota's, Chryslers or others. Takes a while too from my experience to have the wiper stuttering, but then it's very tough to eradicate. Yes, as you say, something like lacquer thinner (VERY carefully) on glass, and the rubbing alcohol per earlier in the rubber blades. I have also used denatured alcohol on the glass for less risk to paint. And flammability BTW--lacquer thinner is way up there on the be careful list!

I also have a theory RainX may also cloud plastic headlight lenses over many years, so as another just in case, I wouldn't put it there, or use a similar additive with a car with headlight washers. I used to hit them occasionally with it, but no more, ever.

Finally, FWIW, I still do use RainX sometimes on windshield when tough situations expected, like upcoming snow trip, but then I carefully just do the areas outside of the wiper swept areas. With a windshield with normal wear, even clean, the wiper swept area can usually still be seen pretty well. Seems to help keeping some of the slush sliding off in the lower driver's corners and higher up generally, but steers clear of the chatter inducing problem.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

FWIW, the Car Talk dudes have said the a slight slurry of comet and water with a SOFT sponge will take care of rain-x film. I've found it easier to just reapply every couple of months.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Reggie
I've had the opposite experience with Rain X - works great for me on my windows and wipers
+1. Seems to quiet mine down.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 613 Likes on 511 Posts
Default Ouch!

Comet could abrade the glass and leave microswirls/scratches. I would do it via a suitable solvent remover.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by kchao2000
..., couple of my co-workers told me "lacquer thinner" will remove everything on the windshield including Rain-X. I will give it a try. Yes, I know I need to be careful on the paint, plastic, and rubber when using lacquer thinner.
I don't know that I'd let anyone use lacquer thinner near my Audi! Your friends are quite are quite correct, but I don't believe it would take much extra effort with using isopropanol alcohol (ie. rubbing alcohol) and it would accomplish the same thing. It wouldn't attack paint but it would spot your wax job, but I'll also advise proving to yourself on an area inside your door.

HTH
Old 05-16-2013, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 230 Likes on 194 Posts
Default Use Glass Science Glass Scrub

available on Amazon, works well with wiper chatter.....

Quick Reply: anyone experiencing wiper chattering?