Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017
Old 07-25-2016, 12:58 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Anyone got their rattle sunroof fixed?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 08:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Anyone got their rattle sunroof fixed?

All,

I have sunroof rattle issue a week after I purchased the car. I brought it back to dealer along with other rattle issues and dealer said they didn't hear any rattle from sunroof. Few weeks later the rattle is getting worse, so I brought the car back for the 2nd time and dealer still didn't hear it but lubricated seals around the sunroof as indicated in TSB. It didn't fix the problem but I was thinking to live with it. Lately the rattle is getting worse and worse, so I called dealer again. The service manager told me with pano roof, rattles are perfectly normal and Audi warranty doesn't cover rattles. I totally understand the interior basically made by plastic parts and rattles here and there are normal. But sunroof (not pano roof) rattles is telling me something isn't right; either misaligned or not seal properly. Dealer agreed to have a technician test drive with me for one more time.

My question is, has anyone with sunroof rattle issue ever get fixed by dealer? I am in NJ near Princeton so if you know any dealers around the area that cares not just make sure the car runs please recommend one.

Thanks.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I think some owners with rattles in the pano roof had their roof replaced. Audi usually try to lube it first, but that usually doesnt work or only works for a little while and the rattle will eventualy come back.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your dealer's answer is a bunch of bull and just reading about your experience makes me angry. I brought in my Q twice for this problem and the dealer first tried the TSB fix you mention then on the 2nd time what they described as a much more thorough lubrication. Neither worked so I contacted AOA through their website and explained my issue and that I wanted their assistance in ensuring my sunroof was fixed on the 3rd try. The woman I worked with from Audi was great. She called the service manager and shepherded my Q through the entire fix which involved removing the sunroof and reseating it. 6+ months later and still rattle free.

I suggest you do the same and don't let them treat you this way. You paid a lot of money for a premium vehicle and solidity is part and parcel to that experience. Don't settle for anything less!
Old 05-10-2012, 02:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

AmazonJohn is right. Insist on a solution. Our rattle began over winter. The dealership looked at it right away and the issue was resolved first time. 5 months and it's rattle free.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by AmazonJohn
Your dealer's answer is a bunch of bull and just reading about your experience makes me angry. I brought in my Q twice for this problem and the dealer first tried the TSB fix you mention then on the 2nd time what they described as a much more thorough lubrication. Neither worked so I contacted AOA through their website and explained my issue and that I wanted their assistance in ensuring my sunroof was fixed on the 3rd try. The woman I worked with from Audi was great. She called the service manager and shepherded my Q through the entire fix which involved removing the sunroof and reseating it. 6+ months later and still rattle free.

I suggest you do the same and don't let them treat you this way. You paid a lot of money for a premium vehicle and solidity is part and parcel to that experience. Don't settle for anything less!
Similar story here. They first did the TSB, but didn't really work. I took my phone and recorded the sound it was doing when driving - was pretty clear there was a problem. They removed it completely and installed it again. They said apparently one of the screw was not super tight.

2 months later, haven't heard one rattle. It was driving me crazy - quite happy it is fixed.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by kchao2000
All,

My question is, has anyone with sunroof rattle issue ever get fixed by dealer? I am in NJ near Princeton so if you know any dealers around the area that cares not just make sure the car runs please recommend one.

Thanks.
I just had Q5 serviced and they lubricated the rails (or so they said) and it stopped the occasional clunck/rattle I heard.
SA says that rain water running down there eventually washes off lubricant from the rails...
There was a post suggesting to lubricate a "joint" in the back of the machanism...
Old 05-31-2012, 07:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have been dealing with this issue since 2009. I have been dealing with AOA for a year on this issue. The dealer had my Q5 for the entire month of April trying to resolve the squeaking, but it continues to get worse. I went through the lubricating (which only last a few months) to replacing the pano. My Q5 is out of warranty but they're still covering it. This has been an on going issue with the pano roofs. My biggest concern is that one day the squeak will stop, but the weather seal will be gone from all of the friction. I am now considering using the lemon law. I don't think a $50K+ vehicle should squeak like that.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have 14,000 miles on my '11 Q5 and the sunroof rattle has been there since it was new. It is most noticeable when the sunroof is in the vent position. My dealer has lubricated the sunroof twice and replaced the sunroof seal once. I wrote Audi of America last week and am awaiting a response. During two of my service visits for this issue, the dealer noted tech bulletins 2022733/5 and 2022733/6. That tells me that Audi has tried at least 6 fixes thus far. I'm concerned that this issue will not be resolved anytime soon.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:33 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

No problem here because no sunroof. Or as I call it.. a hole in a perfectly good roof.

Really though, sorry to hear about your issue. Sounds about like my whistling side mirrors problem... One replaced at 7k, the other Keep doesn't do it consistantly enough for the dealer to replace.

Just keep at it til your satisfied. That's what you deserve.

GL.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2011 purchased new in April of 2011 has 11K mi on it now. After a couple of months I noticed a creaking sound coming from it. Then this past winter, any time the temperature went below 30°F, the stationary panel would actualy start chattering so hard it was practically banging and I thought it was going break. I can recreate the same problem by banging my fist moderately on the inside of the roof near the glass.

We had such a mild winter here in NYC that it only happened a handful of times. I have been holding off on a visit to the dealer until my next service which is coming up very soon (I am going to have the 15K mi service done at 12K). I have seen the TSB and the instructions to lube and have little faith that will help. From reading the posts in this forum for some time now it certainly seems like a design flaw. I know someone with a 09 Q7 and there is no noise at all.

I also have no faith in my dealership as they performed poorly on my 5K service and in replacing my passenger seatbelt receiver. They gave the car back to me low 1/2 quart of oil. When I had it back in a few days later they scratched the hell out of the rocker trim while changing the belt reciever and still didn't fill the oil even after complaining about it. I actually had to go buy a quart of oil from them myself.

You are right. This should not be an issue on a $50K+ vehicle. What should we expect if we decide to keep the car past it's warranty? How long does our warranty actually cover any body problems? I purchased the extended warranty with a $100 deductable for 6yrs/85K mi but I don't think it covers anything like this.

Quick Reply: Anyone got their rattle sunroof fixed?