Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017
Old 07-25-2016, 12:58 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Anyone got their rattle sunroof fixed?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 07:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

had the rattle problem so on the 2nd attempt from the dealer they took apart the whole roof and put it back together. so far that seems to have worked and ive put 15,000 miles since.

this is the last time i buy a car with a panoramic roof.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:45 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default rattling panoramic roof on Q5

As I see I am not alone in my suffering... I've had this problem and took the car in twice, did the lubrication thing, then on the 3rd, had it replaced (dealer had approval from Audi, so they are aware). Been quite a few months rattle free and now it's back. I am going to contact AOA and go to the dealership again. It is unacceptable that Audi has not found a solution for it until now. Maybe if we all keep complaining, they will do something about it. If the pano roofs seem to be ok on the Q7, why is it so darn difficult to make it work on the Q5??? The rattling drives me nuts!
Also, researching for complaints on other websites, I found people complaining about their 11 and 12 Q5, their pano roofs actually broke in pieces over their head! Just like that, exploded. That is a serious safety issue!
Same issues with the dealership... take the car in, get a loaner, wait for God-knows how long to get the car back, and then the problem comes back.
I've had issues with the AC , then the water pump (replaced), then the AC, then the water leaking on passenger side under the front, seat belt, rattling roof, noise under front (firewall replaced and some steering column gasket),rattling roof again... so far, I am very disappointed with audi
Old 09-23-2012, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Buggz Bunny
As I see I am not alone in my suffering... I've had this problem and took the car in twice, did the lubrication thing, then on the 3rd, had it replaced (dealer had approval from Audi, so they are aware). Been quite a few months rattle free and now it's back. I am going to contact AOA and go to the dealership again. It is unacceptable that Audi has not found a solution for it until now. Maybe if we all keep complaining, they will do something about it. If the pano roofs seem to be ok on the Q7, why is it so darn difficult to make it work on the Q5??? The rattling drives me nuts!
Also, researching for complaints on other websites, I found people complaining about their 11 and 12 Q5, their pano roofs actually broke in pieces over their head! Just like that, exploded. That is a serious safety issue!
Same issues with the dealership... take the car in, get a loaner, wait for God-knows how long to get the car back, and then the problem comes back.
I've had issues with the AC , then the water pump (replaced), then the AC, then the water leaking on passenger side under the front, seat belt, rattling roof, noise under front (firewall replaced and some steering column gasket),rattling roof again... so far, I am very disappointed with audi
There is a recall for the glass roof breaking issue but unfortunately after they replaced it the roof still has the rattling. complained about it three times now, it was last in for the problem a couple of weeks ago. The dealership said they fixed it... NOT! Damn thing still makes noise when shut going over uneven pavement. If I have it in the open vent position or fully open there is no noise. I have resorted to driving with it in one of these positions unless it is raining then I turn on the radio. Lol.
Old 09-23-2012, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

I have a 2012. As far as I know mine VIN doesn't fall into the breaking panos range. So far so good, no rattles, probably shouldn't say that.
On the other hand I'm coming form the Passat (that I loved) that rattled like crazy from day one and VW never fixed it.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Pano roof

Originally Posted by Buggz Bunny
I've been dealing with it since 2009,but it was always considered a warranty issue. That said after working with AOA and the dealership. They came up with a new roof design that seems to be working (see my earlier post). It just has more baffling when the roof is open, so I have to open all of the windows and all is well.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:08 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by magman117
There is a recall for the glass roof breaking issue but unfortunately after they replaced it the roof still has the rattling. complained about it three times now, it was last in for the problem a couple of weeks ago. The dealership said they fixed it... NOT! Damn thing still makes noise when shut going over uneven pavement. If I have it in the open vent position or fully open there is no noise. I have resorted to driving with it in one of these positions unless it is raining then I turn on the radio. Lol.
Yup. I think that anyone who got the rattle/squeak fixed due to the recall glass replacement was just lucky. My service dude said that they put in some anti-vibration felt (or something like that) to fix the rattle. It helped a little, but the noise is still there, and I'm pretty convinced that it'll be back at full strength shortly. I also drive with the vent up whenever possible - that's the position that eliminates the noise completely.

To their credit, Audi Manhattan didn't dodge it or anything - I think they thought they fixed it.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

My sunroof had some wind noise problems but I sprayed some dry silicone spray around the entire gasket (slide the sunroof back first) and it fixed the problem. I renew it around once a year, but it works for me.
Old 10-29-2012, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well as of yesterday i had no rattle. Went for a long trip, had some bumpy road and now ever since i hear a rattle toward the front passenger side sunroof. Geeze!

Is there a TSB for this issue?
Old 11-04-2012, 05:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by tomaszp72
I have a 2012. As far as I know mine VIN doesn't fall into the breaking panos range. So far so good, no rattles, probably shouldn't say that.
On the other hand I'm coming form the Passat (that I loved) that rattled like crazy from day one and VW never fixed it.
I have basically the same exact car as yours but in White. Picked it up in March with no troubles until last week when the sunroof rattle started. Comforting to know it's not an isolated incident but can't believe it's not a simple fix. Talking to the dealer this week - wondering if the post about new roof rails applies here. My VIN also was not in the sunroof recall. I'm guessing the cold temps triggered this. The roof is fine when open too.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Rattling/squeaking sunroof

Originally Posted by lurgee7979
I have basically the same exact car as yours but in White. Picked it up in March with no troubles until last week when the sunroof rattle started. Comforting to know it's not an isolated incident but can't believe it's not a simple fix. Talking to the dealer this week - wondering if the post about new roof rails applies here. My VIN also was not in the sunroof recall. I'm guessing the cold temps triggered this. The roof is fine when open too.
I was working through AOA and my dealer Commonwealth Audi in Santa Ana CA. They put a different sunroof design in my Q and it has been rattle free for over 2 months now. Previously they replaced the rails the roof and everything else with no effect. So this new roof is working fine. The only issue is it baffles more when the roof is open (baffling is a physics issue and is normal) but I just crack the rear windows a little more than before and all is well. Good Luck

Quick Reply: Anyone got their rattle sunroof fixed?