Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Anyone using Viper SmartStart?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 12:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone using Viper SmartStart?

I'm just curious for those of you that have a remote starter if anyone installed a Viper remote with SmartStart and what you think of it.

If you don't know, the SmartStart feature lets you control your remote starter using an app on your cell phone. Everything from starting the car, lock/unlock doors, pop the trunk, etc. There's a yearly fee of about $50 for this service, well worth it if you ask me. Just wondering if anyone has used it.

Oh, and lets skip all the "It'll void your warranty" comments. A high quality starter installed by a qualified high end shop won't harm your vehicle. Even if you went in for warranty work they would actually have to prove that the starter caused the problem to deny covering something under warranty.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=S-Line Q5;24067361]Oh, and lets skip all the "It'll void your warranty" comments. QUOTE]

If I have to skip the "It'll void your warranty" comments then I have nothing to add here.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by S-Line Q5
I'm just curious for those of you that have a remote starter if anyone installed a Viper remote with SmartStart and what you think of it.

If you don't know, the SmartStart feature lets you control your remote starter using an app on your cell phone. Everything from starting the car, lock/unlock doors, pop the trunk, etc. There's a yearly fee of about $50 for this service, well worth it if you ask me. Just wondering if anyone has used it.

Oh, and lets skip all the "It'll void your warranty" comments. A high quality starter installed by a qualified high end shop won't harm your vehicle. Even if you went in for warranty work they would actually have to prove that the starter caused the problem to deny covering something under warranty.
the newer euro vehicles (Audi included) are a litle more complex then anything else on the road, so most likely the instaler would be "learning" on your Q5...The starter circuits are very complex this days, controlled by a computer, unlike 10 years ago controlled just a starter relay+ignition key.

There are alot of very good installers, and one who did an install in Q7 or A6 prpbably would be able to do install on a Q5, however what would be the cost of the install?
Old 12-01-2010, 04:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

see this post from AudiZine:

i went to a authorized viper security dealer/installer, guy told me they installed on a b7 before, cost the owner over 1k$ including all hardware, they have to recode your ecu to allow for the new key, remote start, you need a completely new key and unlock system, and they had to contact audi to authorize it or some bull****. pretty much its not worth it.